Swap 32GB wifi for 32 GB wifi + cellular?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I got my Nexus 7 the other day and am wondering if the device would be more useful if I swapped it out for the unit with the cellular support. I want to use it in the car and when traveling both inside and outside the US. Since I already used the device this would cost me the 15% restocking fee. In a stroke of luck, my phone contract is up and I am thinking that I might be better off getting a phone that supports tethering (looking at the Droid DNA or Note 2) instead. What do you guys think? What are the pros and cons of built-in vs. tethering through your phone.

Thanks,

Jerry

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Built in:
Con - pay for additional data plan on top of the phone (generally anywhere from $10-30/mo)
Pro - connection isn't dependent on the phone (connection can be lost if phone battery dies, or if you're on 3G & get a phone call)

Only you can decide if it's worth it. The additional cost of the 3G unit plus the restocking fee means you're looking at paying close to $100 to add 3G to your Nexus, plus the cost of the data plan. What's $100 + $10-30/mo worth to you?

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If you use your Nexus 7 mostly at home or in the office with wifi, then cellular is not worth it. If you use your Nexus 7 often while traveling like bus, subway, car, or traveling for that matter, then it is worth it. It is too inconvenient and such a hassle, also bad for my phone's battery life, to tether to my phone multiple times per day.

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at buying one.

I mostly use mine at home on WiFi so it's not a big issue and a lot of places have free wifi. When I do travel I teather it to my phone and it works just fine. To me, it wasn't worth the extra $$ I would have to pay for the device and for the monthly charges.

If you were planning on using it a lot while traveling with no wifi access, then it might be worth it to you....

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I could also see it for someone who is on the fence about going from a regular phone to a smart phone, to possibly stick with a regular phone w/out data and get a tablet w/data instead.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about the same thing. I have 6gb data plan on my blackberry 9810 and extra $5 will let me share it with N7. One thing that it sucks about N7 is that this is not LTE and only 3G tablet. Otherwise I would not think twice about it. I am planning to get BB10 which has full LTE support so tethering through BB10 will give me better speeds than buying Nexus 7 3G. Finally I am wondering about battery drain on N7 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non