Effing Folders

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I've yet to discover the secret of mastering folders. I drag one app over another app to create a folder or over a folder to place it inside and the damn thing just moves away. So I drag the app again and the app/folder just slides right back. I do this over and over, trial and error until I finally get the app into the folder. One of my folders somehow strangely disappeared so I had to put the 10 apps that were in the original folder back where they belonged.

Please tell me there's a way to disable this terrible feature and keep apps and widgets from sliding around.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems like there are times you are lucky and it works, and other days where it just doesn't want to work. And believe me, I know exactly how you feel, since iOS has that little bug too. Every once in a while it just doesn't want to make folders or put an app into one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to drag and drop an icon into an existing folder, you need to move quickly and decisively. I have found that if you drag an icon slowly toward a folder, the folder will think you're trying to move it out of the way. But if you drag it quickly onto the top of the folder, it'll stay still and accept it.

Edit--In fact, I just found the exact part of the Nexus 7 manual that covers this, on pages 17-18:

"To bump another icon out of the way, slide slowly into it.
To combine two icons in a folder, slide one quickly over the other." [bold is mine]

Aren't manuals neat?:cool:

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
If you're trying to drag and drop an icon into an existing folder, you need to move quickly and decisively. I have found that if you drag an icon slowly toward a folder, the folder will think you're trying to move it out of the way. But if you drag it quickly onto the top of the folder, it'll stay still and accept it.

Edit--In fact, I just found the exact part of the Nexus 7 manual that covers this, on pages 17-18:

To combine two icons in a folder, slide one quickly over the other." [bold is mine]

Wait we have a manual with this device? Who reads those? - :p

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It would have been nice if Google let us know we have a manual.

I got mine back in early October. For version 4.11, which came with my device, all we got was a quick guide. It was maybe 10 pages. Somewhere between there an 4.2.1 they added a full blown manuals. It is all of 177 pages long.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It would have been nice if Google let us know we have a manual.

I got mine back in early October. For version 4.11, which came with my device, all we got was a quick guide. It was maybe 10 pages. Somewhere between there an 4.2.1 they added a full blown manuals. It is all of 177 pages long.

The manual was in play books even before the devices launched.

crimsonsky

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
You guys do realise that there's a whole 171 page manual included in Google Books for this device, right? It's on the device. Just go to Google Books.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The manual description says it was published December 2012. And there are references to Jellybean 4.2 in the book. So, the manual your are referring to possibly was published earlier. I was referring to the one available now.

I still think it would be nice if Google had given it's users a heads up about any of the manuals published beyond the Start Guide that came with my device.

No real bigger for me as I am resourceful enough to learn on my own. But, I am sure others would have been quite happy to get a heads up about the manual.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The manual description says it was published December 2012. And there are references to Jellybean 4.2 in the book. So, the manual your are referring to possibly was published earlier. I was referring to the one available now.

I still think it would be nice if Google had given it's users a heads up about any of the manuals published beyond the Start Guide that came with my device.

No real bigger for me as I am resourceful enough to learn on my own. But, I am sure others would have been quite happy to get a heads up about the manual.

It's actually the same publication. I downloaded it back in June when it was originally published for 4.1. It was then dynamically updated with 4.2 information by Google and the update was automatically applied to my library. It's similar to the way apps can be automatically updated.

I agree it could have been advertised better. Perhaps Google should have put a link to it on the default My Library widget. That way everyone with a Nexus 7 would have seen it when they turned on their device.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

I try to move it quickly. The folder still jumps out of the way.

And who uses Play Books? I use Aldiko. Only ever opened Play Books on my Galaxy Nexus before I even got my Nexus 7.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried moving the folder out of the dock and into the main area of the screen, then moving the app into the folder?

Outdated yet Young Motorola Photon 4G

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest using an alternate launcher. I use Nova Launcher Prime and no longer play the chasing game, as it seems less sensitive to how you add a shortcut to a folder. It also allows more app shortcuts in each folder than the stock launcher.

Yde

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Effing Folders

Unless you live at a location the play store isn't open for books...

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Unless you live at a location the play store isn't open for books...

I assume you're referring to earlier comments about getting the Nexus 7 manual?

Well, according to the availability lists for the Nexus 7 and the Google Play Store Books, the only people that would have that problem are those that left their country to obtain a Nexus 7 (or got someone from another country to buy them one).

The Nexus 7 is only available via the Play Store in the same countries where Play Books are available.

Play Books Availability: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1062504

Devices availability: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2462844

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest using an alternate launcher. I use Nova Launcher Prime and no longer play the chasing game, as it seems less sensitive to how you add a shortcut to a folder. It also allows more app shortcuts in each folder than the stock launcher.

I use Nova Prime too, but it seems to perform exactly the same as the stock launcher to me and I didn't see any settings to disable apps/folders from moving out of the way. I don't even use that feature. I wish I could just disable it completely.

rcarnes911

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been using folders no problems on my nexus, once you drag the app hold it until you see the blue ring

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer