Do I really need 32 gb on the Nexus 7?

KLiz

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm what you might call a really, really "late adopter," but I think I finally want to get a tablet. Since one of my primary motivations is to have an e-reader, a smaller device seems more comfortable for that use. I thought I might do the iPad Mini, but the big price tag and relatively low resolution screen turned me off. So then I started looking at the Nexus 7, and it seems like a good fit.

So now the question is: 16 gb or 32 gb? I know lots of folks around here will say "better safe than sorry -- get the 32." But I'm not an avid technophile, so spending even $199 on an optional device feels like a splurge. And I'm considering it kind of an experiment, so I don't want to spend more than necessary.

Here's how I'm going to use it: Mainly for reading (e-books & web) and checking email. I don't travel much, but when I do I might want to download maps -- but I probably won't save many of them permanently. The app world is a great unknown to me, but I'm sure there will be some that will interest me -- so consider me a light/moderate user there. And I'd like to be able to store some music on it (store rather than stream -- I'll be using Wi-Fi only).

Here's how I won't use it: Games. Ever. I might watch a movie/tv show on it once in a blue moon, but given the screen size, it'll be very rare if ever.

So what do you think? Can I get by comfortably with the 16gb? Or will I regret my penny-pinching?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I too am new to it. All I can tell you is that after a couple of days learning what it ( and andriod) can/will do, is that if I could buy one with all the memory I want at $50 per 16gb, mine would have been at least a $500 one. Probably closer to a $1000....lol

Then there's the resale value....

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Or will I regret my penny-pinching?

You can get the 16 and then when you find out you need more storage, root it (not that hard) and add as much USB Flash memory as you like. The non-rooted version of adding storage with "nexus media importer" is not exactly optimal, but it works ok for some things like watching movies.

My take ? spend the 50 bux - only 2 dinners out around here but years of plentyness on the N7.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
32 for sure. I have 7gb of music which leaves little room for video when traveling (I have the 16)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally think you will be fine with the 16GB model, based on the description of your use-case. If you find you need more storage for various forms of static content, there's always Dropbox, Box.net, or other excellent cloud storage providers. I use my tab for a lot of stuff, including games, ebooks, other content for school and work, and I'm coming nowhere close to hitting the max 16GB internal storage limit.

Do not base your purchase of electronics on their resale value. That's like viewing an average automobile as an investment rather than a giant money pit (which it is).

Good luck and enjoy!

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just get the 16gb. If you're going to do as you say, the 16gb should be enough for you. I have the 8gb and I have about 1.1 GB left. when I first bought my N7, I was so excited I downloaded all these apps and games. Now they're just stored in there. I just use mine to browse the web, go on YouTube, and watch movies via external hard drive.
The screen might be small, but once you load in a HD movie, you'll be amazed on how great the screen looks.

richardmint

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably a similar user as yourself. 40 apps downloaded. Use it for email, browsing, kindle, banking etc and currently have used up only 1.3gb. I don't use it for movies, but I suggest you will be well satisfied with 16gb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
From reading how you'll use it, I'd say the 16gb will do fine. My only question is how much music you'd like to store on it? If less than, say, 8gb of music, then you'll probably be fine with the 16gb.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to belittle the 16gb votes here, but unless you're on a really tight budget, 16g for only $50 bucks. Are you kidding? Through out my decades of computing, no matter how big something was, it always became tiny and not enough over time. Call it future proofing...ish....

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I think you'd be fine with 16 GB. But for $49 why not go for 32?

Honestly, I'd probably be fine with 16GB too, but I went for 32 GB.

The way I figure it, I am not going to regret getting 32, but I might regret getting 16.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to belittle the 16gb votes here, but unless you're on a really tight budget, 16g for only $50 bucks. Are you kidding? Through out my decades of computing, no matter how big something was, it always became tiny and not enough over time. Call it future proofing...ish....

$50 isn't a lot to me, and it sounds like it isn't a lot for you, but for some people it is, especially if they're not even sure they'll get a lot of use out of a tablet. No need to belittle someone for trying to consider their needs and make a wise decision.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
YAYtech belittled no one and the reasoning is sound Since you stated $50 is not a deal breaker for you, get the 32gb.

I purchased a Nexus 7 only after the 32gb became available.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
$50 isn't a lot to me, and it sounds like it isn't a lot for you, but for some people it is, especially if they're not even sure they'll get a lot of use out of a tablet. No need to belittle someone for trying to consider their needs and make a wise decision.

How did you manage to "Quote" my post without actually reading it?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
16 would be plenty for the usage case outlined in the OP.

Also, if you are planning to use it as an Ereader first, and everything else a distant second, I would suggest having a serious look at one of the Kindle fires too.

-Suntan

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
50 bucks for 16 GB, what a ripoff. (Coming from someone who paid 50 to get 8 extra GB on the nexus 4. But 8 is so tiny after the OS is installed...) Never understood how any company can justify a 50 buck upgrade for 8 extra GB, or even 16. When you can get a 64 GB micro SD sandisk for 41 bucks retail it is silly when Google/LG/ASUS wants 50 bucks for 8 or 16 and they can buy wholesale in bulk.

All this talk on how Google must be selling the devices at cost. No way both size models can both be at cost. The mark up on memory upgrades is ridiculous. If the 16gb is at cost then the 32 makes cash. If the 32gb is at cost then the 16gb is sold at a loss. Can't be but 2 or three dollar manufacturing difference.

Pay $50 for every 16gb up to a $1000 tablet? Tablet makers would love that. Prolly make $48 for every $50 upgrade, gotta love those margins.

Maybe that is why they don't include an SD card slot on nexus devices, no one would buy the larger sizes and that would reduce profit. Why buy a 32 GB nexus 7 for 250 when you can get an 80 GB one for 241, or less if you get a no name micro SD card, or a patriot, instead of a sandisk. But people do buy 64gb SGS3's, so who knows. Some people love having up to 128gb of music and videos on their device. Who cares that it has 4 months worth of non-repeated music on it and your phone has a 14 hour battery life. People sometimes pride themselves of having bigger and more than others, even if it is not truly practical. To each their own.

This post turned into 2 or 3 rants spliced together but it is my .02 for what that is worth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'd already read that from you, and while I agree with the missing SD slot, do you have something against profit? My 401k kinda depends on it....

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How did you manage to "Quote" my post without actually reading it?

Saying "I don't mean to belittle" doesn't mean you're not belitting. Talk to someone in person and say "are you kidding?" and see how they take it. Your statement comes across as if anyone who doesn't buy the highest model is making a poor decision. Many people respectfully disagree.

weebeesteve

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 32 gig model because, hey, you never know. I have the Asus TF101 with a 16 gig sd card and I haven't come close to filling it with stuff. Just wanted to be sure since the N7 doesn't have a micro SD card slot.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Say you "respectfully disagree" doesn't mean you're being respectful either, right?... "Are you kidding" in this context would mean "you'll have to explane your reasoning", not "are you an idiot" (hence the "not to belittle part). And yes $50 bucks is a lot to me, all my penny's have smooth sides and at this point have acquired sentimental value status...

I think you may want go up a size or two on your underwear and save your flaming for PM's.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch