Power button will not work after some water damage.

Scott Kerill

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So I bought a used Nexus 7 16 gb from a friend and it was in great working condition. I accidentally got some water on it ( it was not fully submerged, but got pretty wet). I was at work so it was hard to take immediate attention and I don't have the skill to take one apart to let components dry properly. It seemed to still work fine, but it seems after a few hours, the power button is unresponsive. It will let me use the device, but after awhile, maybe an hour, it will go blank, show a lock screen, or the screen to power off the device. It will continue to do this like it's possessed until you choose to turn it off. When it's off, it will not go on again until I plug the power chord in, and it wakes from being off. I don't know if I should just open the thing and see if something's still damp inside. I tried later with some rice but it seemed to not help it. I know I don't have a warranty since I bought it off someone else. Are there any options for me?

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If you got it from a friend maybe the warranty could stand through him still?......................But whether its covered for water damage is another question, odds are that it wont be covered under warranty as the damage was inflicted yourself.

With regards to the rice, how long did you leave it for? If it was me I would leave it completely submerged in the rice for at least 24 hours.

Hope you have some luck with it though.

Andy

Scott Kerill

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I kept it submerged for nearly a day, it kept turning on while in it. I finally decided to open it up and I found a little moisture inside with what I believe is some corrosion near the power button area. I wiped it all clean and let it dry out overnight but I can't turn it on because the power button still won't work. I'll let it be for a little longer seeing if it might get better on it's own. Thanks for the advice, I might just keep it in the rice for now!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Unplug the battery and hit the power button corrosion with some WD-40 (which has no oil in it and was developed to displace water). Haven't looked inside mine so I really can't help you with what , where n how..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87