Antivirus

Thumpa08

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a couple of weeks into my Nexus 7. Any advice on antivirus protection? I've got Kapersky on my laptop and PC. Any recommendations for a tablet? Thanks in advance!:)

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a couple of weeks into my Nexus 7. Any advice on antivirus protection? I've got Kapersky on my laptop and PC. Any recommendations for a tablet? Thanks in advance!:)

I wouldn't worry too much if your not downloading torrents and stuff all the time. To be safe though, I use AVG which I haven't touched since I downloaded and does occasional scans automatically. It's the one I'd recommend :)

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're going to get a wide range of opinions on this. Many people adamantly believe that Android is immune to viruses, and will tell you that antivirus apps are useless and just use up CPU and battery. I'm no tech security expert, but I do know that hackers and cybercriminals are some of the most creative people in the universe, and it's just a matter of time before Android malware becomes a big threat. So I always recommend staying ahead of the curve and installing a well-respected security app like AVG as mentioned above, or my choice, which is Lookout. Do a Google search on Android security or Android antivirus, and look for articles in established tech sources like PCMag or PC World, and read those reviews. Then give a number of them a try to see how your device performs while they're installed. I settled on Lookout because (1) it consistently gets high marks from known tech reviewers, (2) it doesn't suck battery according to my battery stats, and (3) I don't notice any effect on performance as long as scheduled automatic scans are turned off.

The other benefit of almost every Android security app is some option for remote wipe or location, although this might require payment. I've read a few recent stories of successful device recovery after it was stolen, thanks to security apps.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You're going to get a wide range of opinions on this. Many people adamantly believe that Android is immune to viruses, and will tell you that antivirus apps are useless and just use up CPU and battery. I'm no tech security expert, but I do know that hackers and cybercriminals are some of the most creative people in the universe, and it's just a matter of time before Android malware becomes a big threat. So I always recommend staying ahead of the curve and installing a well-respected security app like AVG as mentioned above, or my choice, which is Lookout. Do a Google search on Android security or Android antivirus, and look for articles in established tech sources like PCMag or PC World, and read those reviews. Then give a number of them a try to see how your device performs while they're installed. I settled on Lookout because (1) it consistently gets high marks from known tech reviewers, (2) it doesn't suck battery according to my battery stats, and (3) I don't notice any effect on performance as long as scheduled automatic scans are turned off.

The other benefit of almost every Android security app is some option for remote wipe or location, although this might require payment. I've read a few recent stories of successful device recovery after it was stolen, thanks to security apps.

Guess who is a tech security expert lol :D that's a huge part of my military occupation. Yes I am certified on the civilian side.

No I don't believe a virus couldn't exist. I believe using common sense you can avoid the problem. Malicious apps are pretty easy to spot as it stands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cool man, keep on keeping us safe!

I agree that right now, malicious apps are pretty easy to spot, but the bad guys are getting cagier. I also wonder how long it'll take before malware can be a problem while surfing with an Android browser.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Cool man, keep on keeping us safe!

I agree that right now, malicious apps are pretty easy to spot, but the bad guys are getting cagier. I also wonder how long it'll take before malware can be a problem while surfing with an Android browser.

Its unlikely without us executing it. If your familiar with how java works its going to be tough. The easiest target is using apps because we have to give it permission to run to install it which most people just click away. That's the biggest issue is people who don't pay attention.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. Would a website be able to have something like a faux video, which if tapped actually downloaded and installed a piece of malware on an Android device?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. Would a website be able to have something like a faux video, which if tapped actually downloaded and installed a piece of malware on an Android device?

Like before unlikely but as we have seen time and time again anything is possible.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

You would have to have installations from outside of google play activated and then press the button to install the app in this particular case. You'd have to be careless.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is the best security measure you can setup on an Android device. "Why?" you ask. Well if a malicious app is trying to do anything it will need root access to get to any info it could use or cause damage in any way. Allowing SU, superSU, or simpleSU to block these actions but if your not rooted the malicious app will exploit the weakness to get root access without you even knowing it is happening.

Why is Android lacking in the area of viruses? Well this has alot to do with simply being able to. When someone wants to "hack" or create viruses for a Linux based system they actually have to be able to code at a level that in most cases would involve $100,000+ of schooling and there just is not as many people with that level of knowledge with the interest to do so. Now with a Windows based system any yahoo-moron can find enough software online in less than 2 hours to do real damage and be able to acquire valuable information and never actually know how to hack or code.

Last edited:

blakes278

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There are so many different antivirus apps you can get, but personally I love using Avast! Antivirus onn my Nexus 7 tablet because 1. it has its own notification icon all the time as well as a widget for your home screen 2. for extra security you need to setup a pin so only you can access the antivirus app on your tablet 3. it has a privacy adviser, an application manager, shield controll, firewall(only for rooted), network meter, Virus scanner with scheduled scan and an sms and call filter as well as PUP protection and CPU wakelock. 3. And my fave feature is the ANTI-Theft where u can use remote command from another device of your choice( just add someones phone number) to automatically lock and sound a siren on your tablet and only your AVAST password can unlock it if you lose tablet or it gets stolen, it stops anyone but you from accessing it, you also have the choice with remote command to deny phone setting access, automatically enable GPS and even wipe all data from your tablet and there is still heaps more you can do with AVAST! it isn't even a big file and doesn't drain the battery. I highly reccommend getting this! :D