Device doesn't always require unlocking upon powering on

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus (4.2.2) and a Nexus 7 (4.3). Both devices are configured to require a PIN to unlock the screen. The security "Power button instantly locks" feature is also enabled on both devices.

When I power on the Galaxy Nexus, it consistently prompts me for the PIN.

When I power on the Nexus 7, it frequently doesn't prompt me for the PIN until I attempt to use an app that accesses "confidential" data; Gmail, Google+, etc. but sometimes one of those apps is the first thing I see when I power on the device! This happens whether I had earlier powered off the device or let it lock after the default of 5 minutes.

I'm concerned that someone will gain access to my secure content by simply powering on the device.

I performed a factory reset over the weekend but this has not resolved the problem.

IMO, this is a fundamental security flaw. I can't imagine it's a problem with Android, 4.x, or the Nexus 7 -- so I'm suspecting an app or a device configuration setting. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Settings/Security/Automatically Lock, select "Immediately."
Well, it's not always convenient to have it locked immediately... I use delay for 10 min before it locks (on N4). No issues though.
And I don't remember having issues on N7 with locking/unlocking (don't use pin on N7 anymore).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not always convenient to have it locked immediately... I use delay for 10 min before it locks (on N4). No issues though.

Exactly, that's why they give you a choice of how long to wait before locking. The OP was alarmed that the phone could directly open to apps, so to avoid that, you can change the lock to immediate.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I neglected to mention that the device frequently doesn't prompt me for the PIN even after hours of non-use; e.g., first thing in the morning. I'll change the Automatically Lock setting to "Immediately" to see if it helps but it seems like something else is amiss with the device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any apps installed that modify or otherwise tweak the lockscreen? If so, maybe there's some interference there.

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any apps installed that modify or otherwise tweak the lockscreen? If so, maybe there's some interference there.

Not that I'm aware of. I don't have any lockscreen widgets installed, either.

The problem happened again last night. I hadn't used my device for about 6 hours. Without pressing the power button, I simply plugged in the charger. The display came on (which is normal) and showed my desktop without prompting me for the PIN.

I pressed the power button again and let the device charge overnight. This morning, upon pressing the power button, I was immediately prompted for the PIN.

So as I said, the problem is inconsistent.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of. I don't have any lockscreen widgets installed, either.

The problem happened again last night. I hadn't used my device for about 6 hours. Without pressing the power button, I simply plugged in the charger. The display came on (which is normal) and showed my desktop without prompting me for the PIN.

I pressed the power button again and let the device charge overnight. This morning, upon pressing the power button, I was immediately prompted for the PIN.

So as I said, the problem is inconsistent.
It's definitely software issue, so compare apps installed on both your devices. If you have some different apps on N7, take a closer look at them.
Oh, forgot to mention. I can slide my locked screen (with number pad on it) left or right. May be it's something like that?

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely software issue, so compare apps installed on both your devices. If you have some different apps on N7, take a closer look at them.
Oh, forgot to mention. I can slide my locked screen (with number pad on it) left or right. May be it's something like that?

Because I factory reset the device over the weekend, most of the settings are still the defaults. My lockscreen has the keypad and the standard Android clock. I'm unable to sweep from the right since I'm at the edge of the workspace. I can sweep one time from the left; the keypad remains but the clock changes to the standard 'add a widget' (i.e., the large plus sign) icon. No lockscreen widgets are installed.

I have most of the same apps installed on both devices; if anything, I have fewer apps installed on the Nexus 7 than I do on the Galaxy Nexus. I suppose I can go through the painstaking process of removing each app and then observing the results; since it's not a consistent problem, however, that would be a lengthy and time-consuming process. :-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89