Lollipop 5.0.2

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Update last night. So far no problems. I'll have to use it more to see about performance. No reason to reset right now.

Greg Adkins

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
5.0.2 OTA received. Error when updating. Tried clearing cache, then same fail. Tried Factory reset, then again same update fail. Any solutions people can suggest (apart from waiting for 5.0.3 or 5.1)?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
5.0.2 OTA received. Error when updating. Tried clearing cache, then same fail. Tried Factory reset, then again same update fail. Any solutions people can suggest (apart from waiting for 5.0.3 or 5.1)?

Hmmm.. Seeing how 5.0.2 is officially released for it via factory image and OTA its almost certain in order to update to 5.0.3 and beyond your device will have to be updated to 5.0.2 first. Unless Google forces in the code for it to automatically skip to update.

lennywasout

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I went thru all the pains of 5.0. My tablet was almost useless. Chrome, Dolphin and Firefox crashed all the time so I installed Opera and it was much more stable but still crashed periodically. Facebook was unusable so I deleted it. I received my 5.0.2 OTA two weeks ago so at that point decided to back everything up did a factory reset and cache wipe.
I reinstalled most apps but not Facebook or the Swype keyboard. Firefox beta, chrome and dolphin still crapped out periodically but not as bad as it was. Opera...no issues at all.
I just upgraded both Firefox and Chrome so we'll see how it goes. At least my 2 year old N7 is now fully useful. It may be a little laggy sometimes but acceptable given the memory limit. I still think its a matter of loading apps ones at a time to see which ones don't play well with 5.0.
I was about ready to install a custom ROM to see if that would make my N7 usable. Glad I waited.
Note: I have a few games but have not tried any since I did the factory reset.

Pitothead

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I ask myself why on earth did I update from KitKat to Lollipop 5.02 four days ago..?!!
N7 was working perfectly before--now so slow I
It takes 15 secs approx to open emails and apps and as for browsing, well don't bother..
Have cleared cache, rebooted numerous times.
For the time being I am using my Samsung S3 mini.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I was experiencing the massive lag issues for over a week after the 5.0.2 update. I did a full factory reset yesterday and so far everything seems back to normal. We'll see if the lag shows up again over the next few days, but it was never this fast after the OTA. Play Music was unusable before and it seems to be fine now.

Posted via Android Central App

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been using 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 for a couple of weeks now and there is this one minor issue that niggles and I haven't seen mentioned.

I use my 7 in landscape all the time and, when I switch on (wake up) the unlock page has a bar across the bottom that shows random noise with the back button superimposed on the top. Everything works fine once I enter my unlock pattern and, a few times it greys the background image correctly but 99 times out of 100 it show a greyed out distortion (usually in the form of a heavily slanted representation of the background image).

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I ask myself why on earth did I update from KitKat to Lollipop 5.02 four days ago..?!!
N7 was working perfectly before--now so slow I
It takes 15 secs approx to open emails and apps and as for browsing, well don't bother..
Have cleared cache, rebooted numerous times.
For the time being I am using my Samsung S3 mini.

Seriously, everyone. You have to do a factory reset. Very few people get good performance after the update without a reset.

Posted via Android Central App

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a factory reset two different times and it is still non-responsive. I've loaded less than half the apps I've used before. No different. There is seriously something wrong.

ChrisD43

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 7 got the update and naively I let it install. Since then it has been horrendously unstable. Chrome is the worst, often freezing for minutes, and then asking me if I want to report it. Report it? I want to kill it.
I bought the Nexus because I thought that since Google developed Android I would be free of problems of incompatibility. All seemed will, even on .4.4, though this seemed to slow down.
I have done the cache clearing etc. but it hasn't helped. Now I'm backing up my data and then will do the factory reset. If that doesn't cure it, I'll have to go back, and it was lovely at about 4.2 level. Otherwise, I'll have to go to the Dark Side - something with an ixxx. Grrrrr.......

Rindog

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I want to second to those that say you must do a factory reset. I went along about a week with just the 5.0.2 download. Many freezes, crashes, one night the battery went from 80% charge to 10% in the morning. Something came on during the night and drained the battery. I finally decided it was useless and would have to do the factory reset. I had just resisted doing all the backup, however, it turned out not really that bad.Google has all your apps backed up and I just used Android File Transfer to back up the data to my computer. The factory reset has made all the difference in the world. For the most part everything works more smoothly and faster. Although, Chrome still has problems, however, I found Firefox Beta really works well with 5.0.2. So, if you haven't done a factory reset try it before trying to go back to KitKat, I know that is what I thought, if the reset doesn't work then you can always go back to Kit Kat.

ChrisD43

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I did the factory reset, and started loading my apps again from Play Store. All went well until I downloaded Facebook, which froze, until it gave me the option to close or report. This happened 3 times and so I uninstalled it. All well again.
Could the culprit somehow be Facebook?

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I did the factory reset, and started loading my apps again from Play Store. All went well until I downloaded Facebook, which froze, until it gave me the option to close or report. This happened 3 times and so I uninstalled it. All well again.
Could the culprit somehow be Facebook?
Not really, I didn't load FB and my N7 still sucks.

ChrisD43

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I tried FB again this morning, and for about 5 minutes it was awful. Then it seemed to speed up, and is now working fine. I had been using FB via Chrome, and when I tried that, it was slow and said it had stopped working. Killed that, and tried again, and managed to delete the tab, and all is now OK again with Chrome.
Seems all very weird, but clearly some conflicts or background activity which takes a lot of cycles, and seems to bed in after a while.
Some apps, like KIndle, are running better than before, at least that's my perception.
BUT....I don't think I'll be upgrading again, at least not until the update has been out for ages, I really don't want to have to go through the re-install of apps and data again.

Eimeric

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I updated my Nexus 7 to 5.0.2 a couple of weeks ago and it's horrible.
I had Kitkat until now, and I had some minor lag problems. But it's a total disaster, a total lag.
And even worse, I lost the root.

I hate how we are pretty much FORCED to update, even if this device is not capable to support Lollypop.
Kitkat was already **** and completely full of annoying publicity.

Now this is even worse...

Is there any way to get back Jellybean?

dcleveng

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
After using 5.0.2 for a couple weeks. I decided to install CM. The lagging in Lollipop became annoying to the point I didn't want to deal with it anymore. It wasn't constant, but when it would happen it would be virtually unusable for about 5 minutes then it would work fine again.

So I rooted and installed CM and couldn't be more pleased. My daughter is dealing with the same thing on her tablet, so we may install CM on her's as well.

Eimeric

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I did factory reset + root
and it's still laggy,...

Perhaps Lollipop will only be useful for powerful 64 bits processors with at least 2 GB of RAM

After all this tablet is already a bit old, they didn't have to update it

NSILMike

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Rumors are showing up in the news that 5.1 is coming in February. Not much detail about it but supposed to improve battery mgmt even more than 5.0.2
Not long after I posted this, my Nexus 7 -2012 was updated OTA to 5.0.2 (it skipped 5 and 5.0.1) It became totally unusable almost immediately. Tremendous lag, and tremendous battery drain (it drained quickly during use, and even drained slowly during charging!!) Google support had me try a couple things, then replaced the tablet. New one immediately upgraded OTA to 5.0.2, and has been much better. Only real problem now is google chrome browser lags badly and crashed often.

Last edited: