Can I get some help with a rooting error?

pyrogt

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
root privilege is needed error

So I originally followed this video to root my Nexus 7 (2012) on 5.1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-V1ONC6HI
I started up my Nexus after rooting it, checked root checker and it said it was successful. Awesome. I was messing around and had downloaded a couple root apps and they weren't performing like they should. As a double check I downloaded GameKiller and checked root status through there and the error I received was "Root privilege is needed."
So I went through another root method from here :http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/root-nexus-5-nexus-7-2012-wi-fi-android-5-1-lmy47d-lollipop-firmware-1491474
Went back through Root Checker and got successful (Even though it took about 3 minutes to confirm) Ran GameKiller and got the same error as earlier.
Is there something i'm doing wrong? or can someone point me in the direction of a 5.1 root guide that would cover an issue like this?
Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: root privilege is needed error

Go to Developer options. (If you don't see it in the settings menu, go to About device and tap Build number 7 times. then go back and Developer options should be there.) Enable USB debugging.

Install adb (Mini-SDK) in your computer. Plug the phone into the computer. Go to the folder adb is installed in wioth a command prompt.. Type adb devices and hit Enter. After a few seconds you should see a device listed. Type adb shell and hit Enter. You should get a $ prompt. Type su and hit Enter. You should get a # prompt. If you do, the phone is rooted. (I'm guessing it is, because what you're doing manually, Root Checker is doing automatically.)

pyrogt

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site

Confirmed I did get that prompt on the device. So what could the problem be with the apps not recieving SU status even after I granted them.

Thanks for your help btw.

As a note, you have to disable MTP for Rukbat's method to work.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Confirmed I did get that prompt on the device. So what could the problem be with the apps not recieving SU status even after I granted them.
A badly written app. If su is there, and it runs when called (giving you the request to allow it, then raising you to root privilege), the phone is rooted. Remember, probably 90% of the apps on the market are "written" by people who couldn't actually code an app to put the word "hello" on the screen. They just drag and drop controls on a form, click a few buttons and think they're "app developers". The result is things like what you're seeing. You could try emailing the developer, but I just note the name of the developer of an app like that and never waste time downloading anything written by that developer again.

It's possible that the app also needs Busybox installed (to supply some Linux commands Google left out), but that should either be noted in the description of the app, or the error message should be something like "Can't find Busybox, please install it".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo