HBO GO Not Compatible

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
When a new device or new version of Android gets released, apps have to be updated for it. Amazon Tablet app isn't compatible yet which sucks because I use that a lot.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When a new device or new version of Android gets released, apps have to be updated for it. Amazon Tablet app isn't compatible yet which sucks because I use that a lot.
That's weird considering they just updated it today that it's still not compatible. Maybe they'll get to it after they get the Instant Video app out. o_O

larry313

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere in another forum that HBO addressed this and said they are working on an update and it should be out soon. By the way the Showtime app updated today to let you watch live shows!! Hopefully the HBOgo app will have the same function with the new update.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just tried to download the HBO Go app, and it's apparently still not compatible with 4.3. Strange.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Not very strange at all, unfortunately. HBO Go has broken for every (or nearly every) Android update from Google for at least the past 18 months. Don't know if it's DRM, or what but it is a constant problem.

Posted via Android Central App

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I had the same experience and got a little frustrated but, figured they'd have it working soon. Now, if ONLY Dish and Showtime would make and agreement. Still can't use the showtime app on ANY device because doesn't work for dish network!

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah still waiting on an update. I tried installing it using apk extractor but HBO Go crashes shortly after logging on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
there is a thread over in the Nexus 10 forum that can shed some light on this for those interested. As othe4rs have mentioned every android update kills HBO Go . Not sure if it is a setting on the App Side or if it is on the Android side. They just got HBO Go to work with 4.2.2 less than week befor 4.3 was released. SO based on past performance I would expect them to fix this just before Kitt Katt is released... breaking it again.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
HBO has GOT to get this situation figured out. My rough estimate is that over the past two years, HBO Go has been broken at least one of the two years due to being incompatible with an Android update. Makes them look pathetic, not to mention how Cinemax is incompatible with tablets period. Whoever is in charge of their Android apps should be fired.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
HBO has GOT to get this situation figured out. My rough estimate is that over the past two years, HBO Go has been broken at least one of the two years due to being incompatible with an Android update. Makes them look pathetic, not to mention how Cinemax is incompatible with tablets period. Whoever is in charge of their Android apps should be fired.

They don't really want or need these apps to work. They just need the feature to be listed on a marketing bullet list to get people interested in subscribing to the cable TV premium channel. Once they sign up and find out it doesn't work, are they likely to cancel the whole channel service? It's the carrot on a stick - you don't have to reach the carrot, just run after it to make HBO happy.

Last edited:

TroyBoy30

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
blowing it a little out of proportion aren't ya? the app has to be updated every time android gets updated just like every other app.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
They don't really want or need these apps to work. They just need the feature to be listed on a marketing bullet list to get people interested in subscribing to the cable TV premium channel. Once they sign up and find out it doesn't work, are they likely to cancel the whole channel service? It's the carrot on a stick - you don't have to reach the carrot, just run after it to make HBO happy.

I would think that 99% of user of the HBO Go app were subscribers to HBO long before the app even existed. I doubt it was the other way around.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
blowing it a little out of proportion aren't ya? the app has to be updated every time android gets updated just like every other app.

Not sure if you were responding to me...

I'm not even sure how true it is that "every" other app has to be updated every time Android gets updated, however, any of my apps that needed updates got them, and quickly. HBO Go hasn't worked for two months. It is my only app that goes weeks to months in a broken state. Just saying...

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I would think that 99% of user of the HBO Go app were subscribers to HBO long before the app even existed. I doubt it was the other way around.

I would agree with that. So what is HBO's motivation for timely updates to it's app? New subscribers? Customer retention/ satisfaction? Because I (or you) say so? Ad revenue?
I'm not sure why any Cable channel would mess with mobile apps.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with that. So what is HBO's motivation for timely updates to it's app? New subscribers? Customer retention/ satisfaction? Because I (or you) say so? Ad revenue?

I'd still think HBO should get their act together. I rarely use HBO Go on my phone or tablet, but I still think it's abysmal to take months to update an active app, especially if you're as large a corporation as hbo is.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Because they need to keep their revenue stream viable. How many people do you know of that are like me, and would eventually cancel their HBO subscription if they couldn't view content on their mobile device?

As a society, we are moving more and more towards mobile content viewing. As high speed, wireless broadband becomes more accessible to more people (read: more carriers and more cities getting LTE), and devices become more viable to consume them (read: bigger screens, larger batteries and ability to connect to said mobile broadband networks), more and more people want to take their content on-the-go. The networks and channels that support this will continue to have subscribers, and the ones that don't will find them losing their customer base.

The problem is that they can take their sweet little time updating the app because we are already subscribers. We need to get them to update faster.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Bumping up this old thread, but it appears that HBO GO has been updated to be compatible with Android 4.3 and the Nexus 7(2013 edition).

Dan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87