Strange view of website with new Nexus 7

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried today to go to a website by clicking on a link in my Nexus 7 (2013). When I click on that link in my computer, it looks fine, but when I clicked on it in the Nexus 7, it looked very weird: it showed all the HTML coding rather than what the coding is supposed to produce.
Here is what the site is supposed to look like:
caray_good_zps70b40b5d.gif

And here's what I see when I go to the site in my Nexus 7:
caray_bad_zps9a7ca9ef.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on. I'd be most grateful for some help. (I realize that I probably should have cropped the photos so that they don't take up so much room. I looked for instructions on the forum site about how to deal with photos, but if there are any, I failed to find them. As is probably painfully obvious, I'm a newbie both to the forum and to the Nexus 7.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Citizen Coyote, for your response. I tried to reload the webpage, but it made no difference. I'm using Firefox for the first screenshot (the one from my computer), and yes, both the computer and the Nexus 7 are on the same network. I just tried again, and the result was the same.

HeavyBombers

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
That is the RSS/xml feed page. Manually enter the URL leaving off /feeds/posts you'll see the actual site. caraycaray.blogspot.com

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response, HeavyBombers, but I'm afraid it didn't work. I found I could pare the URL down to caraycaray.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/telemundo, but if I took out "feeds" and/or "posts," or anything else, I'd get various error messages, and not even my computer could access the site. I might note that there's also a link to this page ("Telemundo y M?s") on the main CarayCaray site, but it's the same link I tried to use at the start (and have succeeded in using in every computer I've used--desktop, laptop, or netbook), but though the Nexus 7 can access the main CarayCaray site, it not surprisingly can't use the link there to the Telemundo y M?s page. I really don't understand why the browser on Nexus 7 can't use a URL that Firefox, Opera, and Internet Explorer have no problem using on my computer. Since I already have three browsers on my computer, I don't want to install Chrome just to see whether it fails to handle the URL on the computer. I'm really puzzled and disappointed that it can't do so on the Nexus 7.

HeavyBombers

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you are over complicating the issue. Just enter the root URL.
Caray, Caray!

Comes up just fine in Chrome.

Edit: nevermind see this text from the main page. And it's not the web page is having problems, it's the feed.

RECAP FEEDS DO NOT WORK IN THE CHROME BROWSER. USE FIREFOX OR INTERNET EXPLORER. SORRY ABOUT THAT. IT'S CHROME'S FAULT, NOT OURS.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
MANY THANKS, HeavyBombers, for your very helpful reply. I'm not quite sure what your "see this text from the main page" refers to. My guess is that you realized that the main CarayCaray site, which is what your link goes to, is not the page I am trying to reach. At any rate, what you go on to say in the ALL CAPS statement is exactly what I needed to know. I guess I'll try Firefox's version for Android, or perhaps Opera's.

Edit: Now that it's morning and I'm more awake than I was last night, I understand what you mean by "see this text from the main page." Sure enough, the statement you put in ALL CAPS appears on the sidebar of CarayCaray's main page! Since I don't use Chrome on my computer and I just started using the Nexus 7, I never noticed that statement before. Thanks VERY MUCH for pointing it out.

Last edited:

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, it looks as if I need more help. :'( I installed the Firefox browser from the Play Store and then tried again to reach the Telemundo y M?s page that Chrome couldn't handle. Firefox claimed that it downloaded the page, but I can't find it. The "Guidebook" for the Nexus 7 (2013) says that I can use Google to search my tablet or the Internet, but it says nothing about how Google is supposed to know that what I'm looking for is on my tablet rather than on the Internet. All I was told after FF supposedly downloaded the Telemundo page (or whatever it is that it downloaded) was that it downloaded something called Telemundo and "download complete." But when I tried to search for Telemundo using the Google search, all I got were links to the television station, not to anything on my tablet. And when I looked in Downloads, it wasn't there. So I'm still totally stymied: what is it that FF downloaded and where did it put whatever it was that it downloaded? How do I find it?

I'd be most grateful for some help with this new mystery. Thanks in advance.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you are over complication things. That url is not a normal internet page.
Its an RSS feed and is meant to be viewed on RSS viewer. In chrome there is an extension which will make the page in RSS format https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...cbfjd?hl=en-US&utm_source=chrome-ntp-launcher

it works in firefox because you have an extension(RSS viewer) to show it properly

chrome for android dont have extension support yet so you cannot use that extension in Android.
you should download some RSS viewer app and use the link to open it using the app.

Last edited:

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, still1, for your message. I do not have an RSS viewer extension in Firefox, but the page works fine in my computer not only in Firefox but also in Opera and in Internet Explorer without any extra add-ons. I might also note that I do have an RSS reader, but all that does is tell me once a week when a new week's Telemundo page is put up. That's all but useless, since that page changes constantly throughout the day every day as new comments are made. They aren't picked up by the RSS feed. That's why I need to be able to access the page in Nexus 7.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link, still1, but it won't help with this issue. I already have one of the RSS readers mentioned in the article (Feedly), which I chose when I had to replace Google Reader. But Google Reader, Feedly, FeedDemon, and other RSS readers only show me a new feed for the overall Telemundo page (a small part of which you can see in my first screen shot, above) once a week, when the new week's page is put up (and in fact this week, they didn't even manage to report the new page). I need to be able to do what every one of my computer's browsers can do: go to the overall page that lists the weekly Telemundo pages and open the current page multiple times per day, whenever I feel like it, to see what new comments have been added.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty