Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patruns
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question after 4th repair, i got a new serial number and an old serial number?

when i click on "settings", "about", the serial number is the same as before. it only has 8 digits.

but the serial number printed on the original box starts with d70kbcxxxxxx, after the 4th repair, now it became d60kbcxxxxxx.

i think that they changed the motherboard during the 4 repairs. but then how come the serial number in the tablet is the same? when i was chatting with asus online, the person didn't know what happened, either. the original case missing the | from Nexus on the back. it didn't get fixed.

this is strange. who can explain it?

Default Re: after 4th repair, i got a new serial number and an old serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by preppystud View Post
    when i click on "settings", "about", the serial number is the same as before. it only has 8 digits.

but the serial number printed on the original box starts with d70kbcxxxxxx, after the 4th repair, now it became d60kbcxxxxxx.

i think that they changed the motherboard during the 4 repairs. but then how come the serial number in the tablet is the same? when i was chatting with asus online, the person didn't know what happened, either. the original case missing the | from Nexus on the back. it didn't get fixed.

this is strange. who can explain it?
    Where do you see the serial # in the settings? I thought it was only on the box.

Default Re: after 4th repair, i got a new serial number and an old serial number?

There is a serial number in Settings>About phone>Status, but it doesn't appear to be the same as the one on the box (which I think is the true serial number). In fact, it's in a totally different format. I'm not sure what the one in the settings menu is.

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, I'll be on vacation from 7/27 to 8/13, with only intermittent web access. So if you don't see me around much, don't worry, I didn't defect to another site or anything like that.
    Thanked by:
    brosko 

Where are you comparing these serial #s? On the box? On the device? In the Settings menu?

If it is on the box or on a device sticker then they probably just grabbed a box they had lying around or grabbed a refurbished unit.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

yes, the serial number in the machine's setting is always the same.

but the box serial number changed. they only mail me the tablet back and forth, not the box itself. the tablet itself is the same, because on the back "nexus " now misses the | of the "n" letter. ( they didn't add the sticker on the back. ) so i know that they didn't give me a refurbished tablet.

it is kind of strange.

but the box serial number changed. they only mail me the tablet back and forth, not the box itself.
    ?
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock Lolipop 5.1.1
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - Lolipop 5.1.1
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock Lolipop 5.1.1
    mikemike162012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by preppystud View Post
    yes, the serial number in the machine's setting is always the same.

but the box serial number changed. they only mail me the tablet back and forth, not the box itself. the tablet itself is the same, because on the back "nexus " now misses the | of the "n" letter. ( they didn't add the sticker on the back. ) so i know that they didn't give me a refurbished tablet.

it is kind of strange.
    Given the issues you have had a refurbished unit might be a good replacement.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

the case outer case is the same, because the word "nexus" lost its | on the letter "n" . so i know that they didn't give me a replacement.

during the last 4 repairs, i thought that they have already changed the motherboard once. but this time, the second asus person told me that they changed the motherboard. the first asus person just told me that they reinstalled the system.

so far, they have changed the motherboard and the battery.

but the serial number under the setting remains the same. that is the part that i don't understand. how can it has the same serial number if it already got a new motherboard? i am going to email asus now, and see if they can explain it to me.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why this matters.....
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock Lolipop 5.1.1
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - Lolipop 5.1.1
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock Lolipop 5.1.1
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

i want to know where this serial number "resides".

if they changed the motherboard, i assume that the serial number is fixed on it. that is why i got a new serial number even though the case is the same old one.

Yes. And for some reason they did not re flash the ID chip which I think they ought to have. From what I recall several PC makers have fingerprinted boards and they always put the fingerprint onto the replacement board. The MAC address stored by the device is linked to the fingerprint also on many models, your device MAC will no longer match now either.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

will that cause any trouble in the future?

i thought that they already replaced the motherboard once, but i guess this time they really changed the motherboard. that is why i got a new serial number.

With Asus? No clue.

What was the problem with your tablet?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

read my old posts, you will see all the problems that i have.

i sort of use this forum as my tablet problems ' diary.