Weird icons appearing on home screen

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
All,

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I'm getting weird shortcuts appearing on the homescreen. Apparently they are not "apps" since they don't appear in the app drawer but ads appearing as app icons. I can simply delete them from the home screen, however, a new one pops up every so often. Any suggestions on removing them permanently? Oh and FYI, I did run a virus/malware application on my N7 but it didn't find anything malicious.

J

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
All,

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I'm getting weird shortcuts appearing on the homescreen. Apparently they are not "apps" since they don't appear in the app drawer but ads appearing as app icons. I can simply delete them from the home screen, however, a new one pops up every so often. Any suggestions on removing them permanently? Oh and FYI, I did run a virus/malware application on my N7 but it didn't find anything malicious.

J

Did you install any new apps recently?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
There is something running in the background called Recommended Apps. Could that be the culprit?

Where did you see that? In the "running" tab? If so, tap on it and try to find the original app of that process.

Are you using a custom launcher or an app like Drippler or similar?

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Where did you see that? In the "running" tab? If so, tap on it and try to find the original app of that process.

Are you using a custom launcher or an app like Drippler or similar?

Yup. On Lollipop, there was a "Recommended Apps" always running. Inside that process, it was running something called "PageBuddyNotiSvc". You couldn't disable it and even when you forced it to stop, it would just start up again. Again, not sure if that's the cause of the issue or not. Just suspicious that there's a shady process like that on the phone.

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
All,

J

4th Note

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty