Backup and Wipe

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to the great help here I have my new Nexus 7 just about the way I want it. The problem is it came with a small, hairline crack in the screen but it was described by the seller as 7 of 10. I don't consider a cracked screen as 7 of 10 so the seller has given me the option to return it.

I hate to see all this work to waste, anyway to back up all the apps and settings then completely wipe this one (since it now has all my personal information) so I can easily restore and setup the replacement?

Can someone point me to a step by step???

jbrantley130

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
You can get a dual USB flash drive, make a complete nandroid backup, and transfer the backup to the flash drive. Then do a factory reset on the tablet and you're good to go. SanDisk has a 32 Gb dual USB flash drive for about $30. I have one and have never had one problem out of it. I use it daily.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
You can get a dual USB flash drive, make a complete nandroid backup, and transfer the backup to the flash drive. Then do a factory reset on the tablet and you're good to go. SanDisk has a 32 Gb dual USB flash drive for about $30. I have one and have never had one problem out of it. I use it daily.

Thanks, I have a 64 GB thumb drive I'm not using from MicroCenter so I will google "nandroid backup" and follow that process.

How do I hook the thumb drive to the tablet? Will that be in the instructions? Are there right and wrong instructions out there for nandroid backup? sometimes I think that's the draw back of the internet's massive archiving power, is that wrong information seems to be the first info I find...

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Finally got around to making the back up and it appears nandroid backup "REQUIRES A ROOTED DEVICE WITH BUSYBOX!" which I don't have and don't want to root this one since I'm sending it back.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be a pain (and likely require root) to back up things like desktop layout, etc. What kind of things are you needing/wanting/hoping to back up?

Once you're satisfied with your backup, you'll simply go into settings to do a factory reset and clear your personal info.

How to Factory Reset Google Nexus from Settings menu:

Open the App Drawer menu.
Find the Settings icon and open it.
Select “Backup & Reset” option.
Press on “Reset tablet”.
– enter your PIN or password in case the Nexus is password protected.
Tap on “Erase everything” and confirm process.
That is it, the Nexus 7 will be wiped clean after the process is complete.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
It's going to be a pain (and likely require root) to back up things like desktop layout, etc. What kind of things are you needing/wanting/hoping to back up?.

Thanks for the response, I rooted the tablet and made a complete backup.

However, I didn't realize the first step to rooting was unlocking and unlocking wiped the device. So it was all moot...

Well, not really moot, because I learned next time to root the tablet first, then start setting it up the way you want it. Valuable lesson when you think about it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch