Android 7 and the Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I notice no upgrade appears beyond Android 6 for my Nexus 7 (2013). Is Google not providing one? If not, is there a technical reason Android 7 won't work on the Nexus 7, or do they just feel like not supporting it anymore?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Forgive a stupid question, but Qualcomm isn't a modem manufacturer? Mine is the wi-fi only model. Is there still a Qualcomm chip in it?

Thanks,

doug

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
or do they just feel like not supporting it anymore?
They have supported it up through their published schedule (2 years for OS updates; 3 years for security updates).

You could certainly find 3rd party firmware for it that includes Android 7.x. I haven't bothered looking but I'd bet that CM has a build that you can use.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine is the wi-fi only model. Is there still a Qualcomm chip in it?
There is - the SOC (System On Chip, which includes the CPU and GPU) is a Qualcomm chip. And that's where the problem lies (it has nothing to do with the WiFi version vs the LTE version) - the GPU doesn't support Vulcan and the latest graphics extensions, which is why this device won't (officially) support Nougat.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Short in comparison to what?

If you're comparing to Apple (for iOS) then it certainly is short.

If you're comparing to the Android OEMs (Samsung, etc) then it is typically longer, and faster to boot.

I can't comment on Windows Mobile since I've never owned one of those devices.

In any case, Google has been operating on this schedule for quite awhile, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had this tablet since it was first launched, about 3 and a half years. Now, with no further security updates, and realizing that the tablet just isn't quite as snappy as it was, I've looked around, and am considering the ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 as a replacement. It seems like the closest thing to my beloved Nexus, and Amazon had the 32 GB version for $130 for Cyber Monday. Anybody have any thoughts on this choice?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My recommendation for price/performance is the nVidia Shield K1 ($199). Only downside is that it won't get Android 7.x (unless you load CM).

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I looked at that as well, and also considered the Huawei MediaPad M3. Amazon at one time had it for $240, but now it's closer to $500.

Last edited:

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The M3 is back to $300 on Amazon, but I'm holding out for an LTE model to replace my Nexus 7 LTE model. even if they're not bringing it to the U.S. AliExpress might be an option to buy the M3 LTE, but no U.S warranty and last time I checked, a 64GB LTE version was going for $440. Are we absolutely sure Google has nothing up its sleeve as far as a future Nexus 7 in 2017, because I would rather have a Google tablet over the Huawei M3, even though I'm still happy with the excellent 6P smartphone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The M3 is back to $300 on Amazon, but I'm holding out for an LTE model to replace my Nexus 7 LTE model....Are we absolutely sure Google has nothing up its sleeve as far as a future Nexus 7 in 2017
Looking for an LTE replacement really narrows the field.

Evan Blass leaked earlier this year that there was supposed to be a replacement for the Nexus 7, but that hasn't materialized. It's certainly possible that Google intended it for 2017, but it seems silly to me to have passed up the holiday buying season. Perhaps that explains why I don't work for Google...

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
This is a 3+ year old tablet that still functions just fine. I'm kinda wondering why this is an issue at all. Developing a new version of Android for the Nexus 7 when it doesn't have the hardware to take advantage of most of the new features really doesn't make any sense.