Nexus 9 or Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact?

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
They're both of similar size and they're both pretty sexy (at least from the pictures I've seen). The reason I can't choose one over the other is because of the Sony's special features: PS4 remote play, the camera (sorry) and the special audio features are the reason that won't let me pick the Nexus 9. However I'm a Nexus fan because I've got a Nexus 7 and I want those Boom Sound speakers, high-res screen (2K is it?) and double tap to wake.

I can get over the camera as I'm pretty confident I'll only ever use it for a bit when I first get it. I can even get that high resolution audio experience by buying that A10 audio player (eventually). The only problem is remote play. But isn't there a way to get that as well?
Thanks for your help in advance :)

Posted via Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to make that call for you. You'll just have to weigh them both up and choose.

I'm going with the Nexus 9 because I like the aspect ratio, like the dual front facing speakers and the specs make it seem like a pretty beastly tablet.

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was originally waiting for the Xperia Z3 Compact before the N9 finally showed up. But the memory pricing and aspect ratio are enough for me to step back and keep waiting a little bit longer. While it would appear neither Sony nor HTC/Nexus are big fans of internal storage, at least Sony gives you MicroSD. It also weighs considerably less while being much thinner and more compact. Slightly smaller screen size helps a bit.

Yes, the K1 is considerably more powerful. But where is the internal storage for all of the games and 64-bit apps that will be the primary beneficiaries or said power? They've pretty much designed this with the power to do it all, but then you've got an aspect ratio that is best for reading and browsing websites. Things you absolutely do not need a high-end SoC for.

At least for now, the Nexus 9 continues to appeal as more of a test bed and demonstration of new technologies. Practical uses are somewhat mixed. At least in my mind. For that reason, I'm holding out for final reviews, while continuing to lean towards the more "practical" Sony.

FormerTexan

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I too am tossing around the Z3 vs the N9. I have the Tab S 10.5, but it's too big to hold for long periods of time to read with, I'd like something smaller and more portable. I don't expect many accessories for the Z3 given it's low market share (I don't see a lot of options for cases for the Z3 for example) and the high price of $499 is a turn off . I don't mind the 4:3 ratio of the N9, should work better for what I use a tablet for... just worried it's a tad to big to hold comfortably for long periods of time. ( I thought the Tab S 8.4 would be awesome but I had two and both had screen issues).

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Was thinking about the Z3 for a while but went with the Nexus 9... Z3 is too close in size to my N7 2013... Can't wait to get Lollipop on my N7 though. I will be using both Nexus tablets for different tasks I think. At least that's my plan.

djsat3

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I like the N9, but i'll be getting a Z3 TC, had the original Z Tab and thought it was great, good build quality, speedy software a little interference from Sony. It does have double tap to wake FYI, all Sony Xperias do now. I understand that the N9 will get Android L sooner and it has a mighty processor but I think i prefer the quality feel, lightness and slender dimensions of the Xperia.

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Its been good to read your guys' opinions but I've still not made a decision and made a preorder 😵 I'm planning on keeping whatever i choose for 2 years which is why I'm being so picky by the way.

I've had some news. Make of it what you will but Sony is offering £30 cash back if you buy from Amazon here in the UK. I'm not sure if its the same for you guys in the US but that's not a bad discount. This means a standard Z3 Tablet Compact is £300, down from £330 and the 32GB model is £350, down from £380 and the 4G one is £400, down from £430.

In comparison the Nexus 9 is £319 for the 16GB and £399 for the 32GB variant.

I've just had a look at that myself and the Z3 looks a lot more appealing: it uses more premium materials and has a better audio chip (that matters to me). On the note of audio chips, does anyone know if the Nexus 9 will be capable of supporting line-out audio?
Oh and one more question: can I save apps on the SD card with the Z3?

Posted via Android Central App

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
With Amazon pushing the nexus 9 back to 15/12 I have looked at the z3 and in the UK we have some great offers direct from sony such as £30 off and the official £35 case for 1p. So for £299.01 I have a white 16 go Z3 compact tablet arriving the end of the week with official white case, bargain.

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
With Amazon pushing the nexus 9 back to 15/12 I have looked at the z3 and in the UK we have some great offers direct from sony such as £30 off and the official £35 case for 1p. So for £299.01 I have a white 16 go Z3 compact tablet arriving the end of the week with official white case, bargain.

I'm pretty sure it's either the case for 1p or the £30 cash back - I read in their Ts&Cs you can only choose one of the offers :( unless you've already done it? In which case you're a legend!

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I've already done it paid £299.01 including official case, use a voucher code at checkout for the £30 off.

Posted from my S5 via the Android Central App

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's either the case for 1p or the £30 cash back - I read in their Ts&Cs you can only choose one of the offers :( unless you've already done it? In which case you're a legend!

Here is the proof and the code I used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-26-13-58-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-26-13-58-01.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 63

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
That confirms it then. You're officially a legend!

Lol cheers, it took me two attempts to get it to work, Sony have taken the money from my account now and delivery for the end of the week estimated :)

It will mean I can play destiny when my wife is watching the TV also!

adam 968

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I have just picked up my z3 and uploaded the same music files onto it that I have on my ipad2 (3 years old). One of the main reasons I have bought the z3 is the music experienc. Naturally, I have had high expectations.

Here's what I have found out so far (same files with the same beyerdynamic iems)

The same MP3 songs sound better on the ipad 2 than on the z3. Sadly, as I do much want to like the z3 (with everything turned on)

Then I uploaded the same songs but in flac format onto the z3. So, it was mp3 on ipad 2 vs flac on z3. This time it was a close call, but I would still give a slight advantage to the ipad.

I am pretty sad, now, and pondering returning the z3.
I dumped my iPhone for a droid maxx last year and I never regretted it for a second. But it's a different ballgame at with the tablets.

The other thing - I was aware of - is the 16:9 aspect ratio. So far, I seem to prefer the 4:3. I have 3 choices, keep
the z3, buy an ipad or go for the nexus 9

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have just picked up my z3 and uploaded the same music files onto it that I have on my ipad2 (3 years old). One of the main reasons I have bought the z3 is the music experienc. Naturally, I have had high expectations.

Here's what I have found out so far (same files with the same beyerdynamic iems)

The same MP3 songs sound better on the ipad 2 than on the z3. Sadly, as I do much want to like the z3 (with everything turned on)

Then I uploaded the same songs but in flac format onto the z3. So, it was mp3 on ipad 2 vs flac on z3. This time it was a close call, but I would still give a slight advantage to the ipad.

I am pretty sad, now, and pondering returning the z3.
I dumped my iPhone for a droid maxx last year and I never regretted it for a second. But it's a different ballgame at with the tablets.

The other thing - I was aware of - is the 16:9 aspect ratio. So far, I seem to prefer the 4:3. I have 3 choices, keep
the z3, buy an ipad or go for the nexus 9

Thanks for informing the rest of us, I appreciate it. You'd have thought the audio chip in there must have been a good one - clearly Sony have skimped on their internals. It was a huge selling point for me but seeing as no one's bothered to review it, your word will be the nearest I can get to a review of it. Have you tried any high resolution audio?

adam 968

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have tried every option. With some tweaking, I would say sony is as good as the ipad 2,but the ipad is more than 3 years old. Still, I could live with this, what I can't come to terms with is the aspect ratio. I wanted to leave ios as I did with the droid maxx (which I have never regretted) and the z3 seemed to be the best option. Now, I have 10 days to make up my mind about returning it. I will give it some time, maybe I get used to it.
One other minor thing. The display could be better, I don't like the white balance, white seems too bluish to me. I tried to adjust it, but couldn't get it better.