Nexus 9 Sluggish Performance

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Nexus 9 since the initial release of Lollipop and even though it has been updated to 5.1.1 the device still has moments of extreme sluggishness especially when returning to the home screen or rotating the screen.

It is almost like the device is still having memory leak issues.

Despite a factory reset my Nexus 9 is not operating at peak performance.

Is anyone else experiencing these type of problems or could it just be my device?

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes-and not just me from what I've read although I can't say it's the majority of users. I also started experiencing frequent reboots-from once a month to daily and more often. I've done 4 full wipes in two weeks and even tried another rom. Now, I'm limiting app installs to try to locate/eliminate a cause. You ask the 64 million dollar question as far as this device is concerned.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Del1701

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep same with mine 😞 it even froze on me yesterday and I had to hold the power button in till it reset itself 😡

NeilWhitear

May 24, 2013
Visit site
It's frustrating that it takes eliminating apps to root out the cause of the problem and the chances are its a popular app used daily.

I love stock android and do not want to have to consider a non-stock tablet. Grrr

pmp6nl

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a brand new one yesterday, installed apps, and started experiencing slowness. Very frustrating.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's almost always Facebook, I don't use Facebook personally, but perhaps try the web interface for a while and uninstall the app and see how it goes.

I've had mine for over a year, the only sluggishness I have now is coming from chrome to the home screen and occasionally when using Google play music for a long time.

Agreed its frustrating

Posted via the Android Central App

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's almost always Facebook, I don't use Facebook personally, but perhaps try the web interface for a while and uninstall the app and see how it goes.

I've had mine for over a year, the only sluggishness I have now is coming from chrome to the home screen and occasionally when using Google play music for a long time.

Agreed its frustrating

Based on what I've read, Chrome uses the Android OS to manage it's memory usage. So if the system thinks it needs to conserve memory it will unload pages, which is probably why it reloads tabs. Other browsers don't seem to do that, as they must use their own management.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Recently I've been experiencing issues with sluggish behavior and crashing. I just updated Chrome and it seems to be worse than before! As Del1701 said, I've had times where I was forced to manually shut down my tablet in order to use it again. WTH??? This needs to be resolved.

J

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Recently I've been experiencing issues with sluggish behavior and crashing. I just updated Chrome and it seems to be worse than before! As Del1701 said, I've had times where I was forced to manually shut down my tablet in order to use it again. WTH??? This needs to be resolved.

J

I switched to Firefox but that now too has issues with redrawing launcher on exiting app. If Google can't even get their own apps working on the N9 its not looking good. I'm beginning to wonder if the Pixel Cmay help them focus more on the nvidia chipset & 64bit, because imho that's the only difference here and undoubtedly the cause.

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Why oh why has my 9er become soooo lethargic?
Ehh?

Updated to Marshmallow, and after a couple of days the tablets starts reacting af it is asleep, as if it is running on one or even half a core...
I am so frustrated, I reset the device 3 days ago, set it up again, but the slowiness, sluggishness remains unchanged.
I have absolutely no idea what is happening, if anyone can offer any advice, I would be very thankful.
Just to give you an idea of how sloooowwwww the device is, I am thinking of giving it away now....

Del1701

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My N9 had become really really laggy, I have to keep restarting it to temporarily fix it 😢

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I am having similar issues. Sometimes it just locks up with the screen on and I have to hold the power button to force a restart. I've done a factory default twice and it's better for a week and then the performance goes back to lag city. Coming from an N7 2012, I'm pretty disappointed.

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
As an update to what I have already posted.
Did a reset of the device and did NOT allow it to install my already chosen apps.
Instead, took the long path of installing one app every day, and watch its behaviour. Up to now, it seems to function quite fast, without any further issues.
Will keep you updated, if this changes, but apparently an app that was not optimized for Marshmallow has caused the lethargic behaviour

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
Everyone try first "safe mode" on Nexus 9 for 3-5 days to see if this app or hardware problem! It fixed on my Nexus 9 self resets, high noises when watching YouTube, unresponsiveness, lag! It's gone :) its over week without problems

Press and hold power button
pres and hold "power off" option
then choose OK

This safe mode stops all non-google background apps from running. It's like safe mode on Windows, only necessary apps are to use YouTube, Gmail, Chrome. If problems gone (lag, resetting) then do factory reset without backup, install app manually not all at once from backup or thus setup wizard. It helped mine Nexus 9

pmp6nl

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to tell us what apps you were able to install without problems and/or what apps you think may be causing the issues?

Thanks

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
Here's list of apps that I have now on my tablet. Before I did what I described above I done backup but didn't restored it because my suspicion was that maybe some files are corrupted, I try to find it and compare with actual list. I know that Zooper Widget/PRO and media Utilises are not again installed. Maybe something was corrupted durning OTA? Or some app data? I'm not sure what was wrong but now it's completely different experience, this tablet now works sooo fast! :D

1 powerampHead
@Voice Aloud Reader

All-In-One Toolbox
Amazon
Amber Weather
Ampere
App Manager
AppBrain App Market
AppChooser
AppZapp
Auction Wars
Audubon Birds