Will the nVidia DirectStylus from the Shield tablet work on the N9?

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
The thread title says it all. Supposedly, DirectStylus support is built in at the processor level on the K1. I just ordered a replacement DirectStylus from Amazon to try this out when I get my N9.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I realize the K1 in the Shield is different from the K1 in the N9, but I thought that all K1s had DirectStylus support.

Posted via the Kick-*** Android Central App

microwavedboy

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely want to know the answer to this question. I like my nVidia Shield tablet OK, but the Nexus 9 is thinner and faster and is packed with delicious pixels -- but one of the reasons I went with the Shield was the excellent fine-point stylus support.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I tweeted at Andrew and Jerry today, and Andrew said no, but he didn't sound very sure.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
There's also the issue of how the display's digitizer functions. Some seem to act like a narrow stylus is on the screen regardless of finger, thumb, stylus bluntness.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It might work like a normal stylus, but it probably doesn't have the Directstylus software to enable high speed accuracy or palm rejection. Based on what I've seen the touchscreens are calibrated to certain size "touch" targets, so some will work if the touch is finger size but not smaller than that. Others may respond to fine tip touch.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
It might work like a normal stylus, but it probably doesn't have the Directstylus software to enable high speed accuracy or palm rejection. Based on what I've seen the touchscreens are calibrated to certain size "touch" targets, so some will work if the touch is finger size but not smaller than that. Others may respond to fine tip touch.

Palm rejection is the thing I'm most interested in.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Palm rejection was done via software on the shield tablet so I very much doubt it will carry over as it was Nvidia who did this

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't count on this. The DirectStylus 2 is from the NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet and being HTC shell it probably won't be supported.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress