So.. I'm returning my N9

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So like the title says, and I have a few reasons why.

Firstly let me say I'm a nexus man, love nexus and GPe devices, for me they are the best of the bunch.

So after getting my N9 yesterday I loved it, thought it was a quality device. Now the "New Tablet with 5.0" has worn off I'm seeing issues and I'm not finding any value in this at $479.

1st up the screen is nice and detailed and I fell in love with 4:3 Android, but.... The light bleed from the screen edges is super annoying. When the screen is light you don't see it but as soon as it gets dark you see the white glow all around. Very annoying.

Battery life I'm finding sub par, not a chance this thing will last the 9.5 hours Google say.

The back cover... It feels cheap, its lifted from the aluminum ring, it just feels a little tacky. The aluminum ring is another issue, I'm finding that because it sticks out above the glass it kinda digs into your hand after prolonged use.

The power button and volume rocker are just nasty, very little play, feel like the cheapest material they could find.

Overall build quality just isn't there. You hold the LG G Pad 8.3 and quality wise it whoops on the N9. I'd dare say the tab pro and tab s feel better in hand also. $479 had me expecting some excellent build quality bit its more Asus than HTC.

The speakers while nice I feel they are not as good as the M7 or M8, I was left feeling a little disappointed.

I'm not saying the Nexus 9 is a bad device and I don't think its a bad device but its certainly not a $479 device at all. Absolutely nothing on this device says its worth $500. Now if it was say $329 for the 16gb and $379 for the 32gb I would be more inclined to keep it but when you figure in tax at over $500 its just not there.

Nice tablet not so nice build quality with a price tag that should mean it offer so much more.

Back to my Shield tablet I go.

I was gonna do a comparison video but I'm taking the Nexus back tonight so it won't happen :(

Last edited by a moderator:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Firstly let me say I'm a nexus man, love nexus and GPe devices, for me they are the best of the bunch.

So after getting my N9 yesterday I loved it, thought it was a quality device. Now the "New Tablet with 5.0" has worn off I'm seeing issues and I'm not finding any value in this at $479.

1st up the screen is nice and detailed and I fell in love with 4:3 Android, but.... The light bleed from the screen edges is super annoying. When the screen is light you don't see it but as soon as it gets dark you see the white glow all around. Very annoying.

Battery life I'm finding sub par, not a chance this thing will last the 9.5 hours Google say.

The back cover... It feels cheap, its lifted from the aluminum ring, it just feels a little tacky. The aluminum ring is another issue, I'm finding that because it sticks out above the glass it kinda digs into your hand after prolonged use.

The power button and volume rocker are just nasty, very little play, feel like the cheapest material they could find.

Overall build quality just isn't there. You hold the LG G Pad 8.3 and quality wise it whoops on the N9. I'd dare say the tab pro and tab s feel better in hand also. $479 had me expecting some excellent build quality bit its more Asus than HTC.

The speakers while nice I feel they are not as good as the M7 or M8, I was left feeling a little disappointed.

I'm not saying the Nexus 9 is a bad device and I don't think its a bad device but its certainly not a $479 device at all. Absolutely nothing on this device says its worth $500. Now if it was say $329 for the 16gb and $379 for the 32gb I would be more inclined to keep it but when you figure in tax at over $500 its just not there.

Nice tablet not so nice build quality with a price tag that should mean it offer so much more.

I was gonna do a comparison video but I'm taking the Nexus back tonight so it won't happen :(

Posted via the Android Central App

oh no lightbleed! here we go again. another nexus 7 like fiasco.:(:eek::'(

marrzie

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Lets all quote the op. Sorry to hear the tablet isn't working for you.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Funny this it the same guy "angry english" that posted the thread he wouldn't be getting a Nexus 9 since it wasn't as good for the money as his Nvidia Shield. Read this thread he posted on Oct 19th how much he didn't like the Nexus 9 and pumped up the Shield as a better product for the value than the Nexus 9 even weeks before the 1st Nexus 9 would ship. Now claims he when out and got a N9 and surprise surprise he doesn't like the Nexus 9 as much as he does his Shield.

Nexus 9.... I went with a SHIELD Tablet instead-- by angry english

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Funny this it the same guy "angry english" that posted the thread he wouldn't be getting a Nexus 9 since it wasn't as good for the money as his Nvidia Shield. Read this thread he posted on Oct 19th how much he didn't like the Nexus 9 and pumped up the Shield as a better product for the value than the Nexus 9 even weeks before the 1st Nexus 9 would ship. Now claims he when out and got a N9 and surprise surprise he doesn't like the Nexus 9 as much as he does his Shield.

Nexus 9.... I went with a SHIELD Tablet instead-- by angry english
Regardless of his opinions, past/present there is no need to call him out and start something. This will stop right here.

We know better than this ....

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
[REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Let it go guys.. Not worth it to continue this and give those who are here to gain information and feedback the wrong impression over some disagreements.

Thanks !

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ AC.

Last edited by a moderator:

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I was ready to buy when saw 199 hot deal , obviously I saw it too late as it had sold out..no way would buy at 400

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I went back and forth with purchasing that tablet,. 3 different order cancellations, because I had a feeling the N9 wasnt going to be worth $500 to me. Currently going back and forth between my 32gb Shield Tablet and my Tab S 8.4 32gb.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that OP.

Mine is still on the way so I can't comment on what my device turns out like, but I hope it doesn't have the issues you mentioned.

But yeah, if you're not happy with the device, no reason to keep it. Better of putting your money into something you're happy with then something you're not.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I went back and forth with purchasing that tablet,. 3 different order cancellations, because I had a feeling the N9 wasnt going to be worth $500 to me. Currently going back and forth between my 32gb Shield Tablet and my Tab S 8.4 32gb.

How is the Tab S? The screen is to die for from what I've seen in store

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

I tried the Tab 8.4 nice little tablet but could not stand the capacitive buttons, kept pressing them when holding in landscape

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Posts like this make me glad I've decided to stay with my Nexus 10, which I got on lunch day 2 years ago.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

Machoua Yang

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with the OP. My brother got one yesterday and I was playing around with it for a bit. It does have the light bleed. And not as smooth as I would thought. Battery is not to great either. It's battery is only a little better than my HTC One_M8. Kinda disappointed.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like I should be glad Amazon has not shipped mine. Maybe I will get a Surface Pro 3 instead. I would probably get more use out of that anyway.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The screen on the Tab S is is so much better than the Shield, both in terms of screen real estate, brightness and resolution. It's also very fast. I have a hard time with not accidentally pressing a button in landscape orientation.

The struggle I'm having is running Dead Trigger 2. It runs fine on both devices. Looks better on the Tab S because the colors just pop more. In settings, yiu can boost the performance to "High." On the Shield, the settings can be kicked all the way to "Ultra."

Speakers on both sound great. The Tab S is noticeably lighter. I'll only keep one. I just got the Tab S this week. Have to retrain myself with these damn buttons, just not sure if I can.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I have been playing with it for 2 days now and I agree, I have boxed it back up and it will be on its way back to Best Buy.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
My main problem with the Nexus 9 is the price. For almost $500 I was expecting more of a build like the M8 and not just a large Nexus 5. Not that its a bad device but not my cup of tea for that price.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been playing with it for 2 days now and I agree, I have boxed it back up and it will be on its way back to Best Buy.

Same here, sadly. I was irritated when I saw HTC put it on sale yesterday for $199. Beyond that though, I was underwhelmed. I want to move away from my iPad 3, mainly because the thing is horribly slow now. I had high hopes for the N9, and it's an OK tablet, but not for 400 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty