What is the difference between the Nexus player vs Chromecast?

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Nexus player vs Chromecast

Hi. I currently have a Chromecast and just love it. I also happen to love gaming. And then i heard about the new Nexus Player. I just want to ask questions as to why would i need a NP than a Chromecast:

1. Does it have all the casting features of a Chromecast? Can i still cast Chrome from a PC or Mac?
2. Does it support Dolby or DTS 5.1 surround sound or some form of surround sound?
3. Why still very few Android TV channels even after 4-5 months of its release?
4. Why still very few games compatible with the NP? And how would i know if my game is compatible with the NP? (Doesn't seem no indication on Play Store)
If i can cast my entire phone screen to a Chromecast when playing all of my games why should i buy a NP when not all popular games (especially my ones) are not compatible/playable with the NP?
5. I have heard of slow apps/games loading and random crashes. Has this been resolved my Google/Asus? Or is Google even aware of these issues?
From the start the hardware was doomed to fail. Processor is 3 years old. And why only 1GB RAM? Surely Google/Asus can do better than this.
6. Can i install apps from the Google Play store? Or are they also limited in terms of compatibility?
7. Can i stream my phone's music to the device? And may i know how?
8. Memory (or lack thereof)
8GB is simply not enough if you have lots of apps & games. Or are games installed via the cloud and then "streamed" thru the device?
If i have FIFA15, Dead Trigger, Soul Calibur, The King of Fighters 2012, Need For Speed (considering if they are compatible) and if the 8GB has used 2-3GB of system software that's all of the 8GB used now. And why no microSD card slot?
9. Do i always need to use the remote when scrolling or can i use my phone as a remote via an app?

Would appreciate some enlightenment please. Thanks.

Last edited:

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus player vs Chromecast

1. yes, and yes
2. with kodi yes
3. poor adoption by devs
4. see 3.
5. dont play games, can`t say
6. no, with 5.1 update you are forced to use Android TV approved apps
7. not sure, I use custom rom and spotify on nexus player
8. must be installed on nexus player
9. there is a remote app

For your use case I would recommend something like this
Razer Forge TV - Android™ Gaming in Your Living Room

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Sorry but what is Kodi? Is that an app i need to install?

You mentioned poor adoption by developers. Would that translate to also poor support? Or Google just doesn't provide the necessary tools for developers to develop/port their apps to the NP?

Is there a way to expand the memory beyond 8GB?

What apps can i use in order to stream/cast my music to the NP?

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Kodi is an open source media center.

Support is good through the google community, but app adoption for Andorid TV has been a lot slower than I had hoped. The tools are all there, its up to developers, who apparently do not currently see the benefit.
https://plus.google.com/communities/109694875004529508368

No way to expand beyond 8GB, that's why I recommended an alternative box to you.

You can stream from google play music library

Last edited: