Google Pixel vs Note 7 vs iPhone 7 Display Accuracy

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone vs Pixel XL...

IPhone??? Best screen on a smartphone?????
Are you high???
Not even close... Note 7, S7 edge
Have way better screens.
The iPhone 7 Plus is not even in the same class... Side to side it's not even fair

LOL, sorry but you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. The Facts are out there and all over in this thread that the iPhone has the better screen.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Best color reproduction. Not close to the best screen has its low resolution and doesn't look very good. The sharpness just isn't there to compete with these other phones. Even the contrast ratio still not enough to compare to the AMOLED displays. Again, color accuracy is great, but it is negated by the low quality image you see due to the super low resolution of the display.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Displaymate is a more legitimate source of information on displays than Anandtech. Their business model does not mean they are lying to people about their smartphone displays.

The Note 7 display has a higher resolution, higher brightness, great color accuracy, it is more efficient relatively speaking, and the tech allows for Always On Displays.

I'll stop arguing with you about displaymate since Aquila has pointed out how the numbers actually do add up and why some of them don't matter (testing with 1% of the display on is a meaningless test).

I asked for areas that the Note 7 display leads the iPhone 7 display and one of those is false, one is unproven, and another has nothing to do with screen tech.

Of course it has a higher resolution, and as I said above that ~1,000 nit brightness number is meaningless given the testing methodology.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Best color reproduction. Not close to the best screen has its low resolution and doesn't look very good. The sharpness just isn't there to compete with these other phones. Even the contrast ratio still not enough to compare to the AMOLED displays. Again, color accuracy is great, but it is negated by the low quality image you see due to the super low resolution of the display.

It's not low quality. You obviously haven't seen them side by side with a Note or S7 Edge like I have.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about the stats but the iPhone 7 is much brighter than the n7 when viewing them side by side. Makes me want to cancel my pixel order if it isn't brighter than the n7. I cant speak about the other screen attributes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know much about the stats but the iPhone 7 is much brighter than the n7 when viewing them side by side. Makes me want to cancel my pixel order if it isn't brighter than the n7. I cant speak about the other screen attributes.

Are you referring to auto-brightness or manually on max? Manually on max, the Pixel (smaller one) looks slightly brighter than the 6P does on the same setting, which is directly in line with the Note 7 as well according to the measurements. The iPhone 7 (small one) is about 72% brighter than the Note 7 which is about .6% brighter than the 6P. If I had to make an estimate, I'd say the Pixel is between the iPhone 7 and the Note 7, but closer to the Note 7.

On auto-brightness the Pixel is brighter than the 6P but I have no way of telling by how much, etc. We should have Anand's review of the Pixel devices soon to get some good data.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to auto-brightness or manually on max? Manually on max, the Pixel (smaller one) looks slightly brighter than the 6P does on the same setting, which is directly in line with the Note 7 as well according to the measurements. The iPhone 7 (small one) is about 72% brighter than the Note 7 which is about .6% brighter than the 6P. If I had to make an estimate, I'd say the Pixel is between the iPhone 7 and the Note 7, but closer to the Note 7.

On auto-brightness the Pixel is brighter than the 6P but I have no way of telling by how much, etc. We should have Anand's review of the Pixel devices soon to get some good data.

That's not encouraging if the iPhone is 72% brighter than the Pixel. Its way brighter than the n7 on manual max. Gosh now I'm thinking i will cancel. I dont like dim screens. Maybe the V20 will be bright.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's not encouraging if the iPhone is 72% brighter than the Pixel. Its way brighter than the n7 on manual max. Gosh now I'm thinking i will cancel. I dont like dim screens. Maybe the V20 will be bright.

Give it 12 hours. Then reviews will be out and you can get info from people much more attuned to this sort of thing than I am.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I don't think you understand how brightness is measured on AMOLED displays. It's completely different than the iPhone's IPS display.

The S7 Edge screen is brighter than the iPhone 6s screen.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand how brightness is measured on AMOLED displays. It's completely different than the iPhone's IPS display.

The S7 Edge screen is brighter than the iPhone 6s screen.

I didn't know that. I thought nits was a measure of brightness with a 500 reading meaning its brighter than 300 for example.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the Pixel XL is the new best Android Display when in sRGB mode, according to measurements posted here:

2c6ca901a60ad00488a74313ab2e1dec.jpg

Unfortunately they didn't include the iPhine 7 in the results.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I read a lot of docs so I'm very concerned about a white bright screen vs media consumption. I realize that's not every ones priority.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know that. I thought nits was a measure of brightness with a 500 reading meaning its brighter than 300 for example.
On AMOLED, you can get different results depending on how much of the screen is lit. The brightest will be when the fewest pixels are on and the dimmest when they're all on white. So a 100% filled white screen is the only way to get an apples to apples comparison with LCD panels, even though that's the weakest value for AMOLED.