Why I Prefer the Galaxy S II Over the Galaxy Nexus

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

Galaxy Nexus and Epic 4G Touch

Note that the Working Area of the Epic 4G Touch (outlined in blue) is larger than the Galaxy Nexus Working Area, The Nexus loses screen are to the on-screen Back, Home, and Apps button area (outlined in yellow). The scale photos above are at 1 pixel=1/100". Note how narrow the Nexus Notification bar is.

There are subjective reasons why one person prefers the look and feel of different phones but objectively there are some features that the Galaxy Nexus does not have:

1. No microSD
Phones have had SD cards for 8 years and microSD for 3 years. A 32GB card can hold a couple movies plus photos and music. More importantly, it is you backup texts, alarms, etc. when flashing ROMs and in case your phone bricks. The slot adds 1% to the volume. A microSD card is about $50 for 32GB. Galaxy S II. Workaround: Cloud storage like Dropbox.

2. No Facebook Sync
Android users take for granted that when the phone rings or text or email come in, the most recent contact Facebook photo is shown. Contacts update automatically with photos, phone numbers, birthdays, etc. The Nexus lacks Facebook sync. Friendcaster is a decent work-around but it is still frustrating.

3. No Menu Button
Yes, you can find the Menu button for every app. They are just all in different places. Look for the three dots in a column.

4. No Search Button
The Galaxy Nexus also takes away the Search button. Because the Search button was removed, you lose 1/5 of you screen space. That search button is now splashed across the top on every screen.

5. No Long-press Search for Voice Search
I use Voice Search all the time.

6. No Long-press Home for Recent Apps
I understand that their is now a recent apps button but you can only see three apps at a time.

7. Quick way to add widgets is gone
Adding a widget, app, or setting shortcut used to just be a long-press on any screen. Now when you long-press the screen, it only gives you an option to change the wallpaper.

8. You can't set up a shortcut to a file
Workaround: Get File Explorer etc. to be able to put a shortcut to a file on a homescreen.

9. Visual Voicemail isn't Visual
Visual Voicemail is something else I had taken for granted for 2 1/2 years. When you play their message, you see their photo. HTC Sense even shows the Facebook status as well. Not in the Nexus. But this is gone in the Nexus.

10. Speed Dial: The Galaxy Nexus Lacks Speed Dial to assign contacts to numbers 1 to 9. Long-press 2 for Voice mail, etc. Get an app like Go Contacts or TouchPal Dialer.

11. Smart Dial: The Galaxy Nexus lacks smart dial. "T9" smart dial lets you type a name such as: 2 for B, 7 for R to see names beginning "Br". Get an app like Go Contacts or TouchPal Dialer.

12. Low speaker/headphone volumes Workaround: Volume+ (Sound Boost) (dev website)

13. Low Signal Strength: Has been acknowledged by Verizon.

14. No FM Radio: The Galaxy Nexus lacks an FM Radio (details). Workarounds: TuneIn (Pro), Pandora, Slacker, and iheartradio.

15. Browser: If you pinch to zoom, the text does not word-wrap unless you know the manual reflow trick.

16. 5MP Camera
There is a lot more to determining picture quality that just Mega Pixels but with good software you can adjust brightness, contrast, sharpness, and more after the photo is taken. HDR apps can composite together multiple shots automatically. But only in the movies can they make a pixelated low-def blur of a car become so high def you can read the license plate.

17. Price
The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is $299 and the GSII's are typically $199. But that $100 is just the beginning. Everyone on Sprint can get a 10-27% EVP Discount meaning that the Verizon Nexus may be $1000 move over the 24 month contract.

18. Display Size
The Galaxy Nexus has a larger 4.65" display...but not really. You use all 4.65" only when you are watching a movie, etc. When you are using the phone, the three buttons are on the bottom of the screen taking up about 0.35". The Epic 4G Touch really is 4.52" all the time. The Nexus usable display screen area is less when you are texting, emailing, or working.

19. Battery Life
With LTE on, it takes the charger a very long time to charge the Nexus. Turn off the LTE and the Nexus will charge fine. LTE is like a 600 HP engine. It's fast but make sure you know where the gas stations are.

20. Slow Notification LED blink rate
The Galaxy Nexus Notification LED blinks very slowly, about once every 10 seconds. So if you want to be sure it is not blinking, you need to stare at it for a full 10 seconds. LightFlow Lite is a workaround.

21. Can't Add Homescreens
ICS does not allow Homescreens to be added. The workaround is to use another launcher like LauncherPro or ADWLauncher.

Minor

22. Timer
It is an incredibly simply thing but the Galaxy Nexus is missing a simple timer. Yes, you can download dozens of good Clocks, but why was it left out.

23. No Messaging Return Key
The Ice Cream Sandwich messaging app is missing the Return Key. Yes, you can download HandCent or ChompSMS, but why was it left out.

The above were objective statements of features. The next few are purely subjective personal opinions:

1. Text Clarity
The Galaxy S II text is easier to read for many.

2. Notifications bar is narrow
The Nexus Notification bar is narrow. The icons have to be very small. For instance, see if you can make out the battery level, etc.

If you prefer the Galaxy Nexus, I agree that these are both great phones. I just prefer the GSII. When we get Ice Cream Sandwich, I will get used to it. But I am not looking forward to it.

I put this in the Epic 4G Touch forum because I do not want to say anything negative to someone enjoying their Galaxy Nexus.

See
? Phonearea Comparison: Galaxy Nexus vs Epic 4G Touch vs AT&T Galaxy S II

Last edited:

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I like the high res screen of the Nexus but that's really the only draw for me (and it is nice).

The Epic Touch has...
-removable storage
-better camera/camcorder
-dedicated buttons - I prefer physical buttons but dedicated are still better then virtual ones the nexus has
-touchwiz... I prefer having it since I can load a ROM and get stock ICS on the Epic Touch if I want it but a nexus phone probably won't have the option to load some of the functionality that touchwiz gives you

Reactions: milominderbinde

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I like the high res screen of the Nexus but that's really the only draw for me (and it is nice).

The Epic Touch has...
-removable storage
-better camera/camcorder
-dedicated buttons - I prefer physical buttons but dedicated are still better then virtual ones the nexus has
-touchwiz... I prefer having it since I can load a ROM and get stock ICS on the Epic Touch if I want it but a nexus phone probably won't have the option to load some of the functionality that touchwiz gives you
I added the microSD and Camera to the opening post. Those are big issues for me as well. Thanks!

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I like your comparison overall and I love my E4GT even though I'm jealous of ICS. One thing I took issue with however is just because a camera is 5MP vs 8MP doesn't mean the camera is worse. Drives me crazy when people make this assumption. You could blow up a 5MP picture to poster size and still not see any pixels. Now if the pictures truly looked worse to you, that's a different story.

I really look forward to a bunch of ICS features though. Notably, the face unlock and stock backup of app data will be very nice. Also would be nice to have that slightly larger screen, but I'm perfectly happy with 4.5".

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you long press on a home screen if you no longer can add a widget in that way?

Also, what happens if an app isn't compatible with ICS? How do you click the menu button?

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree about the MP.

That's why I stated that the Epic Touch camera is better, not that it has higher MP. There are numberous reviews where they compare the pics and vids between the two and the SGS2 pretty much universally comes out on top.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Those that would dump GS2 for GN are making bad move.
GN also has weak speaker , weaker battery life & no exynos processor on board.
Only thing it has going is HD display

Reactions: Android32

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and the Nitro HD, and I can tell you that they Nitro's screen is nice, but not necessary. The GSII is still my favorite phone of the year, so much so that I bought one for my personal line when I had one for my work line. I'd recommend any version of the GSII for anyone looking for an Android phone.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...One thing I took issue with however is just because a camera is 5MP vs 8MP doesn't mean the camera is worse...
I added this to clarify:
Don't just look at the MegaPixels. Look at the quality of the images. The GSII is better contrast and clarity with truer images and higher def.
I really look forward to a bunch of ICS features though. Notably, the face unlock and stock backup of app data will be very nice. Also would be nice to have that slightly larger screen, but I'm perfectly happy with 4.5".
Face Unlock is kind of funny. If you need a shave by the end of the day, it may not recognize you. If you have a photo of the person, pull it up on your phone's display and you can go right in.
Just out of curiosity, what happens when you long press on a home screen if you no longer can add a widget in that way?
Good question. You know how the GSII brings up a menu of Shortcut, App, Widget, etc. ICS just brings up a menu of Wallpaper. I added that as well:
Now when you long-press the screen, it only gives you an option to change the wallpaper.
Also, what happens if an app isn't compatible with ICS? How do you click the menu button?
There are two apps he has so far that just don't have menu's now but I am working with the developers.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just loved the sgs2. Great phone on sprint. Good to hear those still find that phone their fav. It certainly was a fav of mine.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
im sorry but i feel like all u guys are just comforting urselfts, i have the gs2 and i would trade it dor a galaxy nexus any day of the week. How about u do a real comaprison such as touchwiz sucks and ics is awesome visual voicemail seriously dude just use google voice. those are just a couple samples plus bigger screen and redicilous resolution. 3 gs2 screens can fit inside a galaxy nexus screen when comparing pixels

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think this is the first phone I may keep for the 2 years I now have to wait to upgrade. Now ... if the GS3 comes out on Sprint and it's hot, I may retract my statement ;) ...

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
im sorry but i feel like all u guys are just comforting urselfts...
I go look at phones all the time. I am on Sprint so there are almost always phones I like better than my own on other carriers.

I have spent hours with the Galaxy Nexus side-by-side with my Epic 4G Touch.

The Nexus Notification bar is so narrow that you can't make out the battery level. The text is not as clear as the GSII. That is subjective but in my opinion there is no comparison which phone has the
...better display
,,,better Facebook sync
...better microSD
...Menu Button
...Search Button
...access to Voice Search
...Quick way to add widgets
...settings shortcuts
...Visual Voicemail
...photo resolution, color, and clarity
...and price
...usable display size
...and battery life, side-by-side over nearly identical use.

Within a couple months new phones will be shown that will be much better than the Galaxy S II, notably the Galaxy S III.

Phones are like shoes. Pick whatever feels best to you. The Galaxy Nexus is a really nice phone. It just does not feel as good to me as the GSII.

Last edited:

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Funny i was just thinking the other day that I am glad I got my GS2/E4GT and that the Galaxy Nexus isn't gonna be my next device. I'm thinking GS3!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've said for a long time Google still doesn't know what they are doing. HTC Sense or TouchWiz is almost required to make Android functional. OEM's add so many features that Google ignores.

Unfortunately, the Galaxy Nexus will be the template for all future ICS devices. It will only be a matter of time before all devices have onscreen buttons etc.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus does address many of the missing features from the Nexus S including Notification LED, more memory, Contact Groups, digital zoom, 1080p recording, HDMI, Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse, and USB Keyboard/Mouse.

But the Galaxy Nexus did not address:

1. Facebook Sync: The Galaxy Nexus still doesn't sync Facebook Profile photos, status, messages, phones, events, birthdays, or notifications. Incoming calls don't pop-up with new profile photos and status.

2. microSD: The Galaxy Nexus would need to be about 1% larger and weight about 1/20 of an ounce more to have a microSD. Samsung's cost would be under $1. But no microSD.

3. Speed Dial: The Galaxy Nexus Lacks Speed Dial to assign contacts to numbers 1 to 9. Long-press 2 for Voice mail, etc.

4. Smart Dial: The Galaxy Nexus lacks smart dial. "T9" smart dial lets you type a name such as: 2 for B, 7 for R to see names beginning "Br". Workarounds:
• Dialing shortcuts: Tap My Apps > Widget > Dial Contact
Go Contacts lets you dial a middle part of a name or number. For 202-456-1414, you can dial "456" or "1414".
TouchPal Dialer lets you dial their initials for instance dial 2 for B, 6 for O for Barack Obama.
Go Contacts & TouchPal Dialer can search contacts for "Pen" for contacts on Pennsylvania Ave or "Wash" for Washington.

5. USB Mass Storage: The Galaxy Nexus does not allow USB Mass Storage to make the phone be like a USB flash drive. Almost all Androids have this feature.

6. No Repeating Alerts: The Galaxy Nexus does not all missed call, email, text, calendar or other alerts to repeat. Apps like Light Flow and Executive Assistant are workarounds.

7. Visual Voicemail: shows the caller's photo while playing their message.

8. Low speaker/headphone volumes Workaround: Volume+ (Sound Boost) (dev website)

9. Google Searchbar takes up top fifth of every home screen: Try a homescreen replacement like ADW.Launcher (Tutorial, $3 full), LauncherPro ($3 full), GO Launcher ($0).

10. Low Signal Strength: Has been acknowledged by Verizon.

11. FM Radio: The Galaxy Nexus lacks an FM Radio. Workarounds: TuneIn (Pro), Pandora, Slacker, and iheartradio.

12. Browser: If you pinch to zoom, the text does not word-wrap.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've said for a long time Google still doesn't know what they are doing. HTC Sense or TouchWiz is almost required to make Android functional. OEM's add so many features that Google ignores.

Unfortunately, the Galaxy Nexus will be the template for all future ICS devices. It will only be a matter of time before all devices have onscreen buttons etc.

HTC Sense irritates as much as it impresses. Sense 3.0 on the 3D is riddled with little bugs that really annoy. For instance, the much lauded facebook sync takes over your contact photos, not allowing you to set a different photo for a contact.

xberserker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to move from WebOS to android and I'm ok waiting for the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm ok with getting the S2 if it takes to long for it to come to sprint. I just hope my launch day Pre- will survive a few more months..

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You forgot reason 21: Currently not on Sprint.

The lack of a Micro SD card and the price are what bug me. $199 on contract unless you give me atleast 32gb of internal storage. :mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali