Google "ran out of time" to make the pixel water proof

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It seems to have survived both 30 mins and 1 hour under water in two separate YouTube videos, so they did a pretty good job already to give people peace of mind for minor accidents or usage in light rain. Maybe the "Pixel 2" will be IP68 like the Galaxy S7.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It seems to have survived both 30 mins and 1 hour under water in two separate YouTube videos, so they did a pretty good job already to give people peace of mind for minor accidents or usage in light rain. Maybe the "Pixel 2" will be IP68 like the Galaxy S7.

Yeah, I watched those videos also. I still wouldn't go swimming or shower with it, but it does gives me a peace of mind. I am pretty sure next year Pixel will be water proof.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I watched those videos also. I still wouldn't go swimming or shower with it, but it does gives me a peace of mind. I am pretty sure next year Pixel will be water proof.

Agree 100%, and I would not treat it as waterproof based on a couple of videos. The takeaway, for me, was that if I do accidentally drop it in the sink or have to use it in the rain briefly or something, it probably wont wreck my phone. I will be very surprised as well if it isn't advertised as fully waterproof next year.

The funny thing is the iPhone 7 failed the same test, they have a huge marketing campaign running about it's waterproofing, and it's supposed to be IP67.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
That excuse sounds shaddy to me tbh but the truth is that most phone are actually water proof at this point albeit unofficially

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
That excuse sounds shaddy to me tbh but the truth is that most phone are actually water proof at this point albeit unofficially
Well, interpret it however you want. I am ok to know that at least water proofing is something Google planned to do and not something that they purposefully ignored this year.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It feels more like HTC didn't have the manufacturing chops to get the waterproofing done. None of their current phones are waterproof so makes sense that they didn't have the design and manufacturing ready for Pixel phones. Pretty sure next Pixel will have it but would have been nice to have it in the current version.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It feels more like HTC didn't have the manufacturing chops to get the waterproofing done. None of their current phones are waterproof so makes sense that they didn't have the design and manufacturing ready for Pixel phones. Pretty sure next Pixel will have it but would have been nice to have it in the current version.

Well, from what I understand, HTC only put the phone together from Google specification. They had no rule of the design of the phone. Kind of like Foxconn making phones for Apple. So I think this is all on Google, not HTC's fault.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I heard a different answer.

People aren't buying phones because they are waterproof, so no time was spent on it. There were more important things to work on.

I guess this could be the same as not enough time.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

People aren't buying phones because they are waterproof, so no time was spent on it. There were more important things to work on.

I think both answers are correct, I am also sure that HTC is "working on it" for their next flagship and in theory subsequent Pixel models.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

Haha, I guess they are the same. Well, at least we think from all the people complaining, Google might think differently next year. I myself don't care, it's a nice feature to have, but won't stop me from buying it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google "ran out of time" to make the pixel water proof

Well, from what I understand, HTC only put the phone together from Google specification. They had no rule of the design of the phone. Kind of like Foxconn making phones for Apple. So I think this is all on Google, not HTC's fault.
Yeah but with the timeline and HTC not having a design which they can use for waterproofing they had to cut it I think. If HTC had some design reference from one of their existing phones to waterproofing I assume it would have been easier to include in Pixel as well.

I'm not blaming HTC just saying that they probably didn't have time to work on it.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Google "ran out of time" to make the pixel water proof

Yeah but with the timeline and HTC not having a design which they can use for waterproofing they had to cut it I think. If HTC had some design reference from one of their existing phones to waterproofing I assume it would have been easier to include in Pixel as well.

I'm not blaming HTC just saying that they probably didn't have time to work on it.

That is a possibility too, but they also probably don't want to deal with getting the phone certified, which is more time and money. Like Jerry said, they have more important things to work on this year. haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty