From iPhone 6S/7 Plus to Pixel XL: how's battery life so far?

CICS82

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm eyeing the google Pixel XL since its release. I've always been with Apple, but I'm using google services (gmail, etc) so switching platform wouldn't be a problem. I've already had a Nexus 6P for few months, loved android nougat so far, but I've sold it because I was really disappointed with its battery life.

I've read good things about Pixel XL battery life, so now I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. How does it compare with iPhone 6s/7 Plus? Even if I don't really like Apple, I have to admit they did an amazing job with battery management.

This is my average usage during working days. I usually end up between 30-40% by 9pm and I hope the pixel XL can achieve the same results.

- I'm always on wifi at work, when I'm not in the office I'm on 3G (no LTE).
- Location services on for few apps (maps, weather and messaging services).
- Bluetooth always on.
- Constantly paired with a Fitbit Charge 2 and bluetooth headphones.
- I listen to tons of music when I commute (no streaming, it's stored on the device). I would say 3 hours a day, through bluetooth headphones.
- Lots of messaging (mainly whatsapp). I would say around 2 hours a day.
- Around 1 hour of browsing/watching youtube videso.
- Other mixed apps (social media, calendar, mail, uber, maps, etc) for about 30-45 mins.

I don't game... well, sometimes I do, when I'm home, but no more than 15 mins.

With this pattern I usually reach home at 9pm with iPhone 6s Plus with 30-40% of battery left. With my nexus 6P was a disaster, by that time it was already dead.

What should I expect from the Pixel XL with this behavior? Anyone that switched from iPhone Plus... how do you find battery life?

Thanks

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm eyeing the google Pixel XL since its release. I've always been with Apple, but I'm using google services (gmail, etc) so switching platform wouldn't be a problem. I've already had a Nexus 6P for few months, loved android nougat so far, but I've sold it because I was really disappointed with its battery life.

I've read good things about Pixel XL battery life, so now I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. How does it compare with iPhone 6s/7 Plus? Even if I don't really like Apple, I have to admit they did an amazing job with battery management.

This is my average usage during working days. I usually end up between 30-40% by 9pm and I hope the pixel XL can achieve the same results.

- I'm always on wifi at work, when I'm not in the office I'm on 3G (no LTE).
- Location services on for few apps (maps, weather and messaging services).
- Bluetooth always on.
- Constantly paired with a Fitbit Charge 2 and bluetooth headphones.
- I listen to tons of music when I commute (no streaming, it's stored on the device). I would say 3 hours a day, through bluetooth headphones.
- Lots of messaging (mainly whatsapp). I would say around 2 hours a day.
- Around 1 hour of browsing/watching youtube videso.
- Other mixed apps (social media, calendar, mail, uber, maps, etc) for about 30-45 mins.

I don't game... well, sometimes I do, when I'm home, but no more than 15 mins.

With this pattern I usually reach home at 9pm with iPhone 6s Plus with 30-40% of battery left. With my nexus 6P was a disaster, by that time it was already dead.

What should I expect from the Pixel XL with this behavior? Anyone that switched from iPhone Plus... how do you find battery life?

Thanks

I use my phone heavily with a lot of browsing and YouTube videos. Location services are on for pretty much every app that uses it. My current battery usage on this last charge: 29 hours on the charge, just over 5 hours SOT and still 11% left. I'd say the Pixel XL has pretty good battery life.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I would think so. I had the 6S Plus and it seems to be the same, but battery stats on the iPhone aren't as concrete as on Android. Standby on the Pixel is great, and the combination of hardware/software control by Google, plus the SD 821 and an AMOLED display really help to extend battery life. I can regularly get 30+ hours on a charge, 5-6 hours SOT and still have 10-15% left in the tank. If I have light usage, the phone will last me 2-3 days on a charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87