Please Read. About Battery Life.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Just left the T-Mobile store to return/exchange the device. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

Luckily there was a Samsung rep in the store. Talked about my battery life issues and after telling him that I turned off all notifications, disabled push notifications, wifi and Bluetooth scanning was off, nearby WiFi location notifications off, and also I even put the performance mode to Light, and turned off 5g. Was lucky enough to get 5hr 50min SOT.

The Samsung rep said it definitely sounded like an issue with the battery/phone.

Here's my dilemma.

You only get 1 exchange with T-Mobile (probably most carriers) during the 14 day return policy.
If I exchange the device and somehow run into the same battery life woes, I'm stuck with a phone with less than stellar battery life. Which I'd be pretty upset, especially for an $1800 device.

Or, exchange for an iPhone Pro Max. Yes. I said that part out loud. I'm no Apple hater, just love that they have amazing battery life.

What would you do in my situation? Give the Fold another shot or just get another device?

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
If battery is your main concern, I'd grab the iPhone.

I love my Z4 and I'm getting about 6.5 hrs SOT. Not sure what your expectations are, but the max is better for you based on your feedback.

My 2 cents

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If battery is your main concern, I'd grab the iPhone.

I love my Z4 and I'm getting about 6.5 hrs SOT. Not sure what your expectations are, but the max is better for you based on your feedback.

My 2 cents
Well, here's the thing.

Through a normal 10 hr shift at work I skim FB, Google News and YouTube on my short breaks. While listening I listen to podcasts and music on Spotify.

6-7 hrs in the shift I'd have to charge the phone because I knew it wouldn't make it through the shift.

For that minimal usage I'd say that just unacceptable. I can't be the only one hoping that it would at least make it that long.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
Well, here's the thing.

Through a normal 10 hr shift at work I skim FB, Google News and YouTube on my short breaks. While listening I listen to podcasts and music on Spotify.

6-7 hrs in the shift I'd have to charge the phone because I knew it wouldn't make it through the shift.

For that minimal usage I'd say that just unacceptable. I can't be the only one hoping that it would at least make it that long.
Gotcha.... I pretty much do the same thing and attached my battery usage from yesterday for reference. If you are doing those things mentioned, I would think you should get around the same. Z4 is such an awesome device, maybe take another chance???Screenshot_20220907_212651_Device%20care.jpg

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I mean, that's not too off of what you should be getting. Is the signal good at where you work? Is the phone constantly bouncing back and forth between signals? Mine did that a while back and I was losing battery. Just a thought. But thats not too far off from normal.
It would bounce between 4g and 5g. So I turned 5g off. Got around 40 more mins of battery life.

But the Samsung rep said it should be better. Go figure.

The_Woo

Aug 22, 2020
Visit site
hmmmm......yeah, maybe it was the phone. You did turn off quite a bit of stuff (after I re-read your post). I would think at least 6.5 or 7hrs of SOT.

What are you leaning towards? Curious

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just left the T-Mobile store to return/exchange the device. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

Luckily there was a Samsung rep in the store. Talked about my battery life issues and after telling him that I turned off all notifications, disabled push notifications, wifi and Bluetooth scanning was off, nearby WiFi location notifications off, and also I even put the performance mode to Light, and turned off 5g. Was lucky enough to get 5hr 50min SOT.

The Samsung rep said it definitely sounded like an issue with the battery/phone.

Here's my dilemma.

You only get 1 exchange with T-Mobile (probably most carriers) during the 14 day return policy.
If I exchange the device and somehow run into the same battery life woes, I'm stuck with a phone with less than stellar battery life. Which I'd be pretty upset, especially for an $1800 device.

Or, exchange for an iPhone Pro Max. Yes. I said that part out loud. I'm no Apple hater, just love that they have amazing battery life.

What would you do in my situation? Give the Fold another shot or just get another device?

Sorry, you experienced this, I average SOT 8 hours and still have 20% left before bedtime.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Here's my dilemma.

This is what to expect 5.5 to 7.5 sot with this device , use power saving mode but tweak what can be enabled/disable or at least when goes 30%

If you get a day or little over forget the sot stats

I wouldn't give up.tge fold 3/4 over any device but thats me

I set to recharge battery at 85% very quick to reacharge then going 100% with 25w charger

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Here's my dilemma.

Check again, I think most are allowed one exchange in14 days, you can still return it after the exchange. Check with TMobile. Are you close to the 14 days?

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It isn't *your* phone. Mine has a similar SOT, maybe worse. I use mine to make (many) calls during the day and listen to music, podcast etc. I work at a desk and I just plug in for a bit an hour or so before I leave to top off.

Nothing about what you've described sounds like a defect.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Look, I feel your pain. I'm currently using my old Pixel 2 with a damaged battery after I killed my Pixel 5. I get about 3 hours SOT/10 hours total max before its dead. In the other pocket is my iPhone 13 Mini (work phone). Standby is great, several days. But don't be disillusioned by what people say. I see plenty of iPhone users plugged up by noon and I can absolutely kill my iPhone's battery if I do intense gaming.

In my opinion, if you love the phone and you dig the Android ecosystem, pick up one of these and like a 6 inch USB C cable: https://a.co/d/1PKppJo

I'm a LONG time Android user. I'm an iPhone user by work necessity. I use Windows but mostly Mac. I cannot imagine abandoning the Android ecosystem and that is from someone that really enjoys the integration between an iPhone and MacOS.

I would rather have a cheap/small battery battery pack available at my disposal than abandon the platform I love.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It would bounce between 4g and 5g. So I turned 5g off. Got around 40 more mins of battery life.

But the Samsung rep said it should be better. Go figure.

I agree with the rest, it's a tough call but you need to choose what's more important to you... the phone or the battery. If you don't care what type of phone it is, get the longest lasting battery you can. If the phone itself is important to you get a small pocket battery back up like someone else suggested, and enjoy the phone you want.

I'm of the opinion that life's too short to compromise if I don't have to, so I get what I really want, enjoy the heck out of it, and work around it when I need to :D

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Well this thread has encouraged me to avoid the Fold, wasn't really interested due to price, but you guys don't even get half the battery life I pull with my nearly 2 year old Note 20U with original battery.

Sounds like you may want to get that iPhone.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up exchanging for the 13 Pro Max. But since I've done so, something in me wonders if I should have done the exchange for a different Fold 4.

Granted I may have gotten the same SOT as the other, but I think the pros outweighed the cons in the long run for me. Could have just kept a charger at work just in case. But on the flip side, irrates me that Android can't get the same battery life as an Apple phone, lol.