battery issues

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, you should NEVER allow the battery to drop below 40%. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. Start looking for an outlet (or carry a powerbank) when it drops to 50%, and you should be able to charge it before it drops to 40%.

Second, you might already need a new battery. Constantly dropping it to 15% can damage it permanently.

(The shutoff point should be settable - it is in most phones. Set it to shut off at about 38% to protect the battery.)

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have only gotten my battery that low a couple of times, but it definitely didn't shut off. Though as the previous person stated it is definitely better for the battery to not let it get that low. I'll generally plug mine in when it gets to 30 or 40 percent.

davidwilp

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
First, you should NEVER allow the battery to drop below 40%. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. Start looking for an outlet (or carry a powerbank) when it drops to 50%, and you should be able to charge it before it drops to 40%.

Second, you might already need a new battery. Constantly dropping it to 15% can damage it permanently.

(The shutoff point should be settable - it is in most phones. Set it to shut off at about 38% to protect the battery.)
I never heard of this. In fact I've heard it is good to let them run low before charging

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I never heard of this. In fact I've heard it is good to let them run low before charging
That used to be true, but not for today's battery. For battery longevity the best case is charge at 40% and stop at 80%. Obviously not practical, but I try not to dip below 40% if I don't have to.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone's phone dieing before getting the 15 percent notification or dieing about 30 seconds after that notification.

7 responses and no one coming anywhere close to even addressing the OP's question. How considerate of you all.
I haven't had that problem, but a lot of Nexus 6p owners have reported having it once they upgraded to Nougat. Hopefully it won't be an issue that spreads to other phones as they get nougat, but I would consider trying to get a replacement because that shouldn't be happening.

purplecone

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I do have that problem and have posted to the Android list where several individuals have been posting bug reports to be analyzed because they have same problem at different battery levels.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If your phone is shutting down before it gets to zero, then there is something wrong with the battery. I did hear, as another user has stated, that some Pixel devices are shutting down at thirty percent. I'm sure Google will be looking into this pronto.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
If your phone is shutting down before it gets to zero, then there is something wrong with the battery. I did hear, as another user has stated, that some Pixel devices are shutting down at thirty percent. I'm sure Google will be looking into this pronto.

I've never had this issue and I drain my phone down to nothing most days