After two weeks, I'm returning my Pixel XL

cridleyjr

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel XL is a great phone and nice improvement from the Nexus 6P. But even with all of its updated hardware and smooth features, it's not enough for me to keep the phone. So I've decided to return my Pixel XL and continue using my Nexus 6P.

The primary reason is is the cost of the Pixel XL phone. The cost of the phone on a payment plan comes out to $33 a month (24) or $750. I'm also contious of the fact that the Pixel XL is a new phone and direction for Google and I suspect that the next version of the phone will provide an even better phone and user experience.

Another reason for my decision is that my Nexus 6P works great. Even better now that I have been upgraded to 7.1.1. The only difference I've noticed are the more rounded app icons, Assistant (nothing special), the calendar icon now displays the date, the weather widget allows me to delete my downloaded weather app, the finger print scanner allows me to open and close the notification tray and the night light feature which I love.

However, I still can't justify paying almost $760 for the Pixel XL after having the Nexus 6P for only one year and I have one year support/insurance remaining on my Nexus 6P.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
True. I never thought the pixel was supposed to be an upgrade for people who used a 6p for a short time (as in less than the 'life' of the phone)

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I had bad luck? with a Nexus 6P. People couldn't hear me clearly. There are pages and pages of comments about the poor microphone and lack of Huawei service. Hope yours stays good. I would love to have a phone with front facing speakers that worked well. The Iphone 7 came close, but no cigar.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My only gripe about the Pixel is the fingerprint scanner on the back but you are already use to that... Me? I still do not like it there after months of usage.

I fired up my Z5 Compact yesterday and have been using it today. I like the scanner location much better either where it is on the Z5C or on the front like Samsung devices...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My only gripe about the Pixel is the fingerprint scanner on the back but you are already use to that... Me? I still do not like it there after months of usage.

I fired up my Z5 Compact yesterday and have been using it today. I like the scanner location much better either where it is on the Z5C or on the front like Samsung devices...

Ohohhh noooO! Actually I'd love it on the side power button like Sony did back in the day, but if it's not going to be there, back is the only place I'd want it until it's under the display. Flush and invisible is the key for anything and everything on the front IMO :) I did just see Apple filed a patent for a FPS under the display. Not the first patent I've seen for that, but maybe that means it's coming soon?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
i got my wife a pixel and i use a 6p. i will def buy the next pixel and gift my nexus to my in law
pixel compared to 6p is an upgrade but not by a lot

tattedup

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
I think Nexus spoiled people for years selling high performance phones for a sub-flagship price. The Pixel is in line with what Samsung and Apple charge, and rightly so.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Nexus spoiled people for years selling high performance phones for a sub-flagship price. The Pixel is in line with what Samsung and Apple charge, and rightly so.
Yep and yep. And only a couple Nexus phones did that. Most launched at full flagship prices.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
True. But also remember the Pixel isn't a Nexus. As mentioned above, even some of the Nexus phones weren't always cheap.

Yeah but even the most expensive nexus phones weren't nearly as expensive as the pixel. I agree though. The pixel isn't a nexus so time to move on with that idea.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Hey, remember me? I had the Z5C and I didn't like the fingerprint sensor at all. It was so inaccurate (66% at best). On top of that you have to press the power button first. On the Pixel instant touch unlock 99.9% of the time.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Ordered a Pixel XL only because I lost my 6P and can't get a new one.
(kind of cool how you can remotely wipe out it's memory).

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I completely understand what you're saying, OP. The Nexus 6P is a killer phone and if you are still enjoying it and it works great, why not keep it? :)

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel XL is a great phone and nice improvement from the Nexus 6P. But even with all of its updated hardware and smooth features, it's not enough for me to keep the phone. So I've decided to return my Pixel XL and continue using my Nexus 6P.

The primary reason is is the cost of the Pixel XL phone. Another reason for my decision is that my Nexus 6P works great. However, I still can't justify paying almost $760 for the Pixel XL after having the Nexus 6P for only one year and I have one year support/insurance remaining on my Nexus 6P.

Makes perfect sense. Very logical decision. If you happy with your 6P then keep it. Its an awesome device and still performs really well. I was expecting to see a thread about how terrible it is. So really good to see you actually love it just don't want to spend the extra cash :D

Maybe when the Pixel 'B' launches you can pick that up. :)

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey, remember me? I had the Z5C and I didn't like the fingerprint sensor at all. It was so inaccurate (66% at best). On top of that you have to press the power button first. On the Pixel instant touch unlock 99.9% of the time.

My Z5C unlocks 99% of the time on the 1st attempt..

Anyways, I still like the sensor position on it better than I do where it's at on the Pixel...