What happens if I remove my Google account from device?

Mxlodeh

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I recently quit my job and I need to remove my work Google Account from my phone. It says if I remove account, it will delete it's contacts, messages and other data. That's concerning, as I need those things. What exactly will I lose and how do I remove the account without losing any data. Also, I currently do not have a computer/laptop to back my data up with so please do not tell me to do that. By the way, it is my own account, but I only used it for work purposes, and I would rather use my personal account.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the site!

This happens this way for security purposes. Remove an account and the personal data that is associated with it should go along with it. I would consult with your IT team at work regarding the policies of maintaining that information after you leave. Actually - if it was a managed account the company should force the removal of the account and you won't have an option to keep the information, it's only a matter of time before the team that manages mobile devices catches up with your departure.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! I would assume, if you quit your job, that you would lose access to that account anyway. But, yes you'll lose that info on the phone but not in your account. If you go to another phone, or computer, and still have access to the work account, you can still retrieve that data.

Also assume you have a personal account on your phone, as you don't want to delete that.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what phone you have, but on my S7 there is an option to save all contacts to a different account. Should be universal. As for you messages, it depends on you app you are using. You might try forwarding them all to your new number or saving them to a word doc, xml or the like. Some messengers for work might block all of that, for obvious reasons.