Google+ a farce!

anon(870071)

Trusted Member
Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting an error message on my galaxy note with ics says that i need to go to google+.com

"couldnt sign in due to a problem with your page"

Its drivn me nutts because when i login online there is NO PROBLEM!?!?!?!?

I cant even link a picassso account!?!?

AM i the only person that is having this issue?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
ICS update has been a huge disappointment mostly due to the inability to upload to Picassa. I don't know if it's because of Google+ on my device, but I cannot share any pictures to Picasa Web Albums. Worked on GB, doesn't work on ICS.

SkyDrive on WP8 and PhotoStream, are looking like killer features to me right now - as is the better FB Integration in WP8 and iOS6.

I use Google+ as a glorified RSS reader. Only Android fans seem to be on the site and they are quite vicious in their religious zealotry regarding their platform choice. Makes it impossible to follow any tech blogs and bear to read through the comments.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Picassa albums and Google+ albums are now integrated, as far as I can tell. Just upload your pictures to Google+. They will show up in Picassa. Permissions are transferred, too.

I use the Instant Upload feature in Google+. Works great.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Picassa albums and Google+ albums are now integrated, as far as I can tell. Just upload your pictures to Google+. They will show up in Picassa. Permissions are transferred, too.

I use the Instant Upload feature in Google+. Works great.

So I should be forced to be a Google+ user just so I can upload my photos to Picasa? I'm boggling right now... ...

Google+ resizes photos, anyways, and they must be on Google+ if you want to avoid running into storage limitations at which point they'll be resized into something fiercely small. I was going to pay for PWA storage but not if it's broken on my device. My Vibrant from mid-2010 didn't have such a significant bug...

I've since moved everything to SkyDrive. It's superior to Google+/PWA and Drive all folled into one service. Plus I have 25GB there and it's more cross platform. There's an Android app now.

All I use Google+ for is as a Feed Agregator. It has basically replaced Google Reader and allowed me to Unlike sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, and TechCrunch on Facebook (so I see more actual Social Updates and less redundant "News" stuff on there).

This service is virtually useless compared to Facebook, anyways. There's nothing here that Facebook doesn't do with 50x the audience potential.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So I should be forced to be a Google+ user just so I can upload my photos to Picasa? I'm boggling right now... ...

Google+ resizes photos, anyways, and they must be on Google+ if you want to avoid running into storage limitations at which point they'll be resized into something fiercely small. I was going to pay for PWA storage but not if it's broken on my device. My Vibrant from mid-2010 didn't have such a significant bug...

I've since moved everything to SkyDrive. It's superior to Google+/PWA and Drive all folled into one service. Plus I have 25GB there and it's more cross platform. There's an Android app now.

All I use Google+ for is as a Feed Agregator. It has basically replaced Google Reader and allowed me to Unlike sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, and TechCrunch on Facebook (so I see more actual Social Updates and less redundant "News" stuff on there).

This service is virtually useless compared to Facebook, anyways. There's nothing here that Facebook doesn't do with 50x the audience potential.

Don't know what you're talking about with regard to photo resizing. My photos upload intact. I can access them from either Google+ albums or Picassa Web.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't know what you're talking about with regard to photo resizing. My photos upload intact. I can access them from either Google+ albums or Picassa Web.

I agree. You don't know what I'm talking about, not because it's wrong but because you haven't bothered to find out for yourself.

From the Picasa Web Albums website:

Automatic resizing

All photos uploaded in Google+ will be automatically resized to 2048 pixels (on their longest edge) and won't count towards your free storage quota.

All photos uploaded from the Picasa software or in Picasa Web Albums over the free size limit will count towards your 1 GB of free storage. When you reach your storage limit, any new photos you upload larger than the free size limit will be automatically resized to 2048 pixels (on their longest edge).

Reference Link: Free storage limits - Picasa and Picasa Web Albums Help

It's impossible to save and archive your Original images at their original, unedited forms unless you upload directly to Picasa Web Albums. Uploading to Google+ does not save your original image. It saves a resized (basically) edited version there. The fact that the functionality is broken in the OS makes the service worthless. Gladly I don't pay for storage there, otherwise I'd be livid. Prolly gonna pay for Flickr or Photobucket Pro, since those are cross platform and I probably will be looking for a bit more advanced camera phone in the near future.

In the meantime, I'll stick to SkyDrive.

P.S. Sharing to other Social Networks from Google+ is tragic, which is yet another reason why I can't use it. Nothing inhibits adoption more than making it almost impossible to share (cross-post) decently to Facebook and Twitter. Google seems uninterested in doing what they obviously should have done from day one.

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I see what you're talking about. I guess I never saw it because I'm paying for extra storage. Pictures are only resized for free storage.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I see what you're talking about. I guess I never saw it because I'm paying for extra storage. Pictures are only resized for free storage.

I'd pay for storage if the Android integration wasn't utterly broken. I do hate setting up separate accounts, but they aren't really giving me much choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty