Whats the deal with the greyed out signal ?

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please tell me why for my signal box at the upper right corner is all out greyed out and is just 1 big giant box?

What's this mean? I just tried calling my voicemail to see if I can call out and it worked but was slightly going in and out but still worked. Also not getting any symbol for a data connection by the signal bars.

Edit: Didn't realize I was not in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus forum..I'm on Verizon if that matters any.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Greyed out indicators is normally a inconsistent signal/no active data. If you state your signal quality was coming and going I would say you were on the edge of maintaining a connection.

Also another symbol to look for is the 1x/3g/4g signs. Pretty much self explanatory as to what those mean.

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to my friends SGN. He took it to the Verizon store and they replaced it. No problem with his new one

I think I'm going to try this before my 14 day window expires, believe I'm around my 4th day now. First time with Verizon Wireless and its not going so hot.

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Greyed out indicators is normally a inconsistent signal/no active data. If you state your signal quality was coming and going I would say you were on the edge of maintaining a connection.

Also another symbol to look for is the 1x/3g/4g signs. Pretty much self explanatory as to what those mean.

So whats it mean then when I get NOTHING for a symbol for a mobile data connection?

Edit: Nevermind I'm stupid..forgot I'm on WIFI, turned that off and getting 1X YAY..NOT. Think I'm going to exchange this phone tomorrow.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So whats it mean then when I get NOTHING for a symbol for a mobile data connection?

Edit: Nevermind I'm stupid..forgot I'm on WIFI, turned that off and getting 1X YAY..NOT. Think I'm going to exchange this phone tomorrow.
Yep 1x is on the edge of not connected....

Either your in a poor area for reception or you have a very weak radio....

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Grayed out bars means that the phone has connected to a tower but the SIM card has not been authenticated.

PamposX

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a gsm nexus (im from cyprus-europe) and its always grey bar except when i use wifi and it turns blue... but the reception etc its just fine

vinva

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Grayed out bars means that the phone has connected to a tower but the SIM card has not been authenticated.

How about if I've turned off LTE and am just on 3G (on a VZW phone, so sim card shouldn't affect 3G, right)? I'm getting the grayed out bars several times a day and none of the toggling (wifi, airplane mode, etc...) helps. Should I *228?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87