Notifications on lock screen like iOS5

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just a conclusion to this discussion, if anyone is wondering:

I have a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone sitting next to each other, both set up with my work email/calendar account:

If secure unlock is on (i.e. PIN, password, or swipe), you cannot pull down the notification screen from the lock screen. You must enter your PIN first, then it takes you to the home screen. From there, you can swipe down for notifications. If you work at a big company that uses Exchange servers for email/calendar, like me, you're likely required to have a secure unlock method. So, that sucks.

On the iPhone, even with secure unlock on, it will show notifications on the lock screen. Then if you try to unlock the phone (e.g. swipe an email to respond to it), it then requires your PIN. Not as secure, I guess, since it not only shows emails, texts, and calendar notifications, it also shows a couple lines of each message. But, MUCH more convenient.

Another downside to Nexus email notifications is that it only shows you the email's subject. The iPhone will show you the subject plus the first two lines of the message.

Verdict: sticking with iPhone because I use it so much at work.

That just sounds like a security flaw to me. If you want to have your phone locked down, what good is having the PIN if you can still read information from the lock screen?

Props to Google and the Nexus for being better than the iPhone in yet another way. :)

Reactions: tjhop4292

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Another downside to Nexus email notifications is that it only shows you the email's subject. The iPhone will show you the subject plus the first two lines of the message.

This has changed in JB, you are now able to see the first few lines of the email, even if you get multiple emails.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just a conclusion to this discussion, if anyone is wondering:

I have a Galaxy Nexus and iPhone sitting next to each other, both set up with my work email/calendar account:

If secure unlock is on (i.e. PIN, password, or swipe), you cannot pull down the notification screen from the lock screen. You must enter your PIN first, then it takes you to the home screen. From there, you can swipe down for notifications. If you work at a big company that uses Exchange servers for email/calendar, like me, you're likely required to have a secure unlock method. So, that sucks.

On the iPhone, even with secure unlock on, it will show notifications on the lock screen. Then if you try to unlock the phone (e.g. swipe an email to respond to it), it then requires your PIN. Not as secure, I guess, since it not only shows emails, texts, and calendar notifications, it also shows a couple lines of each message. But, MUCH more convenient.

If you install another launcher or some app for the lock screen this can be done. But otherwise you are correct that stock it cannot replicate the iPhone's lock screen notifications; which can be configured to show a lot more than email, SMS, and calender events.

jrich1115

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
An update on this:

Still sticking with the iPhone. It seems that if you have a secure unlock on your phone (e.g. you work for a company that requires it), iPhone will display notifications on your lockscreen while Android will not. I was hoping the HTC One X would be different because the Sense UI has a "productivity lock screen" feature, but it can't run on top of the secure unlock.

So, Android wins on high security but loses on everyday usefulness.

alexbalakersky

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually, if you install Widget Locker and Executive Assistant (both available in free and paid versions in the Play Store) you can have that style notifications. Widget Locker is a replacement Lock screen that can run widgets and Executive Assistant is a widget that can display emails, messages, notifications, etc.

I had the same question when I switched away from iThing and used that setup for a while. But then I got tired of that and in fact not missing it anymore. Even though I do have the same situation and must type a pin before I can see my notifications. I just don't check on them as often as I used to :)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, if you install Widget Locker and Executive Assistant (both available in free and paid versions in the Play Store) you can have that style notifications. Widget Locker is a replacement Lock screen that can run widgets and Executive Assistant is a widget that can display emails, messages, notifications, etc.

I had the same question when I switched away from iThing and used that setup for a while. But then I got tired of that and in fact not missing it anymore. Even though I do have the same situation and must type a pin before I can see my notifications. I just don't check on them as often as I used to :)
+1 to Widget Locker and Executive Assistant...

there isnt anything that you cant do with Android... One way or the other its possible. At least what other OS can do.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The point of Android is open, free, and customizable. You have available to download all the apps for all the features you may want or need, even if not built into the base Android build. Some people do not need, or even want the feature you requested, which is where Android shines. I don't have to have something "I" don't want, but you do. If you have an issue downloading an app for the functionality you're looking for, then you fail to accept Android's nature and strong points, fail to accept the solution, are complaining just to complain, and most likely should just own an iPhone.

But think about this. What happens when there's some feature you decide you really want, that iOS does not have, and cannot be implemented by jail breaking it? And what happens when you realize that feature was available on Android by simply downloading an app which brings said functionality to the platform?

You may or may not end up regretting your choice to go back to closed source development and OS options.

Just sayin.

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

Jack Dangers

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Funny I just returned my gnex and went back to the 4s and this was the main reason (and very crappy camera). I never realized how convenient the lock screen notifications are. I too must have a pin on my phone and just couldn't find a way to make it work with android. I really liked JB, it's a great OS.

avinasht1

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I love iPhone notifications on lockscreen. I dont have to unlock my phone to realize its some junk email I dont care.

I have been trying to get this working on my galaxy s3. Executive assistant and widget locker works but is not the most elegant. Would love to have a lock screen app which does this as elegantly as iPhone.

lfeuln

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't even work for a secure company but was forced into a pin/pattern unlock to set up a VPN. So agree it'd be nice if the stock OS allowed you to see lockscreen notifications. (Or turn off notification volume only, or see battery percentage on the status bar...)

Not a deal breaker but Google could still give more options to avoid needing some third party apps in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. also OP seem to ignore the solution provided here...
so, he/she didn't want to switch in the first place.

Hmm what solutions? I have to agree as an ex 4S user the solutions provided or rather lack of are craptastic, hopefully some developer will create a solution.

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Here is the answer, the developer of "Droid Notify" has this info on the lock screen notifications:

"Can Droid Notify Popups Display Over The Lock Screen?
The answer is...it depends.

If you are using the stock Android OS lock screen, the answer is no. It is not possible to display information over the lock screen. If you are using a 3rd party lockscreen app, then the answer is yes (with conditions...you cannot be in security mode).

Here is why: Unfortunately, apps cannot be displayed over lock screens. This is a common misconception among Android users. Android has a built in lock screen and it's not possible to keep the phone locked while displaying information over it. With Android you can unlock or lock the phone, there is no state which is locked, but displaying information on the screen like a popup. There are 3rd party apps which are lock screen replacements but they are apps and are NOT part of the Android OS. When they are running, they DO NOT lock your phone, they are an app that is faking the process. Displaying information over a 3rd party lock screen occurs because your phone is never locked. Displaying an app over another app is perfectly normal and that is what you see when you see a popup over a 3rd party lock screen app."

lwilson96

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Here is the answer, the developer of "Droid Notify" has this info on the lock screen notifications:

"Can Droid Notify Popups Display Over The Lock Screen?
The answer is...it depends.

If you are using the stock Android OS lock screen, the answer is no. It is not possible to display information over the lock screen. If you are using a 3rd party lockscreen app, then the answer is yes (with conditions...you cannot be in security mode).

Here is why: Unfortunately, apps cannot be displayed over lock screens. This is a common misconception among Android users. Android has a built in lock screen and it's not possible to keep the phone locked while displaying information over it. With Android you can unlock or lock the phone, there is no state which is locked, but displaying information on the screen like a popup. There are 3rd party apps which are lock screen replacements but they are apps and are NOT part of the Android OS. When they are running, they DO NOT lock your phone, they are an app that is faking the process. Displaying information over a 3rd party lock screen occurs because your phone is never locked. Displaying an app over another app is perfectly normal and that is what you see when you see a popup over a 3rd party lock screen app."

- - - Updated - - -

"has a built in lock screen and it's not possible to keep the phone locked while displaying information over it"

When I am listening to google music I can fast fwd/rew and pause the music on the lock screen

bissli82

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Well guys,
I must admit, I was an iPhone user for few years now, recently I have changed to Galaxy s3, and my life became so much complicated.
I work computers and Android as it seems from my new phone, is so much behind compering to iOS.

iOS notifications on lock screen where the most easy and comfty ever...
And for me, if a solution doesn't pop up soon, its a definitely deal breaker.
'll go buy me a new Iphone5, without having to go over and try every lock screen app on Google market to answer for such simple problem.

:)

p.s
if anyone found a solution/app that actually works. please let me know.. better before I spent $$$ on a new iphone