Insurance on a Galaxy Nexus?

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I pulled the trigger and ordered a Galaxy Nexus which will be here Tuesday. I feel like a little kid sitting on the curb waiting for the ice cream truck to arrive...I'm really giddy :D A thought had occurred to me though. What does one do about insurance on this device? Right now I'm paying the monthly fee to have my iPhone covered. When I go to AT&T and have them provision a new SIM for me, I'm going to drop that feature. There's no point in me paying monthly for a device that I KNOW they won't cover should anything happen to it. So...can anyone point me in the right direction as far as insurance options? Thanks again.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
There is square trade and ensquared. Those two I was debating using over asurion. My experience with asurion wasn't that good. In the end I bought the otterbox defender. For $50 this case has saved my phone 6 times I remember. Friday I dropped it from chest high on concrete at work, landed right on the bottom corner. Picked it up and wiped the dust off and nothing broke. Anyway I would look at those two companies first. Also if you have renters or homeowners insurance, ask them. Some do offer cell phone insurance. I've heard the will cover your phone for retail value. If you break/lose/water damage it, they cut a check for the retail value. Not send a refurb or like new device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Kale Blossom

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I read the diff between square trade and ensquared is the latter offers a total value of up to 1k per claim. Square trade offers a total of 1k for all claims in that period or something like that.

Also other good case companies are Trident and ballistic for otter box like protection.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am on a T-Mo contract so I when I sold my SGSII and got my new Nexus a week ago, T-Mo said I can keep the Asurion insurance as it will cover it (although she had to put me on hold for 5 min to find out), but thanks for the heads up about renters insurance.
I have a renters policy, I am going to call the insurance company tomorrow and see if they'll cover it.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
There is square trade and ensquared. Those two I was debating using over asurion. My experience with asurion wasn't that good. In the end I bought the otterbox defender. For $50 this case has saved my phone 6 times I remember. Friday I dropped it from chest high on concrete at work, landed right on the bottom corner. Picked it up and wiped the dust off and nothing broke. Anyway I would look at those two companies first. Also if you have renters or homeowners insurance, ask them. Some do offer cell phone insurance. I've heard the will cover your phone for retail value. If you break/lose/water damage it, they cut a check for the retail value. Not send a refurb or like new device.

Thanks for the info! Because I needed something in a pinch, I have a Seidio Active case which will be delivered tomorrow as well. My sister used her Amazon Prime account to make sure I got it in time. I actually DO plan on buying the Otterbox Commuter, which I will do within the next couple weeks or so. I have a Commuter on my iPhone and I've dropped it both accidentally and intentionally when I was demonstrating the Otterbox. So I'm a firm believer in Otterbox.

But I will be researching both of those warranty companies, see who has better reviews, and I will also be doing that within a couple weeks.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I am on a T-Mo contract so I when I sold my SGSII and got my new Nexus a week ago, T-Mo said I can keep the Asurion insurance as it will cover it (although she had to put me on hold for 5 min to find out), but thanks for the heads up about renters insurance.
I have a renters policy, I am going to call the insurance company tomorrow and see if they'll cover it.

I've read in here that some do and some don't. My sister has her phone and husbands on their homeowners. They pay a few bucks a year and they pay the retail value of the phone when you bought it. She used it once already 2 years after she bought her Treo and they paid her like 500 for it. But in my opinion I'd stay away from asurion, and others that send refurbs. If your gonna pay for insurance might as well find one that gives brand new phones.