Nexus on straightalk not getting HSDPA+?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if this is normal or not. Everything works data MMS all that. I have the APN setup to what it is supposed to be according to straight talk website. But I am only getting an H/3g for my signal. We have HSDPA+ and am wondering why I don't have the H+ signal?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
In the status bar, the only icons that will show up are:

x : no service
R : roaming
G : GPRS
E : EDGE
3G : UMTS
H : HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPAP / HSPA+

There is no "H+" icon to indicate that you're on HSPA+. If it shows H in the bar, and in about phone > status you see "HSDPA" (on ICS) or possibly "HSPA+" (on JB), then you're fine.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
In the status bar, the only icons that will show up are:

x : no service
R : roaming
G : GPRS
E : EDGE
3G : UMTS
H : HSDPA / HSUPA / HSPAP / HSPA+

There is no "H+" icon to indicate that you're on HSPA+. If it shows H in the bar, and in about phone > status you see "HSDPA" (on ICS) or possibly "HSPA+" (on JB), then you're fine.

Thanks I just checked doing the *#*#4636#*#* and it is on hsdpa . I was wondering because my friend has a s2 on AT&T and his would show an H+ by the signal bars. Also I was trying to put it on gms auto prl but it keeps changing back to wcdma preferred? Not sure if that's a big deal. And it my signal will show H then everyone once in a while it will show 3g for a few seconds what is that all about?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I just checked doing the *#*#4636#*#* and it is on hsdpa . I was wondering because my friend has a s2 on AT&T and his would show an H+ by the signal bars.

That's because the S2 isn't running stock Android. The custom firmware on Samsung branded (and carrier branded) devices will often have an "H+" or "4G" icons mainly to follow their marketing and make you feel like you're getting faster speeds. There's no difference in speed just because the icon is different.

Also I was trying to put it on gms auto prl but it keeps changing back to wcdma preferred? Not sure if that's a big deal.

Don't mess around with the diagnostic menu. Leave it on wcdma preferred.

And it my signal will show H then everyone once in a while it will show 3g for a few seconds what is that all about?

This is how GSM networks work. When your connection is idle (not transferring data), the phone will stay on UMTS (3G) and your status bar will reflect that. Once you connect to a data session (transferring data), it will switch to HSPA (H). Once the data session is complete, it goes back to UMTS. This is done because UMTS simply uses less power, and its unnecessary to keep connected to a full-on HSPA connection when you're not transferring data. Again, this is precisely how GSM networks are supposed to work.

Again, the branded AT&T / Samsung devices won't do this often, simply because they don't want to cause any confusion (to the regular user) with the network icon switching back/forth between 3G and H. So in their custom firmware, they simply make it stick on "H+" (or "4G") whenever the network is available, even though you're actually quite often just on UMTS (3G) while idling.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's because the S2 isn't running stock Android. The custom firmware on Samsung branded (and carrier branded) devices will often have an "H+" or "4G" icons mainly to follow their marketing and make you feel like you're getting faster speeds. There's no difference in speed just because the icon is different.

Don't mess around with the diagnostic menu. Leave it on wcdma preferred.

This is how GSM networks work. When your connection is idle (not transferring data), the phone will stay on UMTS (3G) and your status bar will reflect that. Once you connect to a data session (transferring data), it will switch to HSPA (H). Once the data session is complete, it goes back to UMTS. This is done because UMTS simply uses less power, and its unnecessary to keep connected to a full-on HSPA connection when you're not transferring data. Again, this is precisely how GSM networks are supposed to work.

Again, the branded AT&T / Samsung devices won't do this often, simply because they don't want to cause any confusion (to the regular user) with the network icon switching back/forth between 3G and H. So in their custom firmware, they simply make it stick on "H+" (or "4G") whenever the network is available, even though you're actually quite often just on UMTS (3G) while idling.

Nice thank u for answering every question u are awesome. What exactly is wcdma?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice thank u for answering every question u are awesome. What exactly is wcdma?

Nvm just googled it. Thanks for being so helpful though!