Persistent "Hidden sender message" notification

Signewton

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello forum,

Sometime today I starting getting a notification saying I had a text from a hidden sender. I noticed this only shows up when i'm using Go sms or another third party text message app. The error doesn't show when using the stock messaging app. I've tried clearing data, cache and reinstalling go sms and still the problem happens. When I actually click on the notification it'll take me into Go sms but there is not text from the hidden sender. Not sure what's causing this.

I'm running my Nexus stock and unrooted.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that this is an MMS issue that happens sometimes. Have you tried going through the settings, disabling auto retrieve MMS? Once you've done that, try and send yourself and MMS and see if it happens again.

Signewton

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just tried that and it still shows up. I'll mess around with some settings after work and see if I can get rid of it. Thanks for the help!

Signewton

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Somehow I found a fix. I got a text from the person who sent me a message right before the error started. That might have helped since it could put a number with the hidden sender. It could've been sheer luck with me messing with the auto download and clearing data. Whatever it was I'm glad it's working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Signewton

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell I had the contact the whole time. I know when I got the mms message I lost signal while the pic was downloading. Maybe that triggered the bug. I have no clue what made the notification pop up or really want the exact cause was.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Found this thread with a google search. I'm really struggling with this.

I'm in the same position as OP. It seems the bug first started happening following receving a picture message. Now every time a new text comes in, I get a "hidden sender" notification too, that is nothing.

It only happens in GoSMS, Handscent. The stock SMS app doesn't do this.

I'm unbelievably frustrated with this right now. I've tried clearing cache, data, even uninstalling the entire app. Nothing has fixed it.

Other google searches show this is a widespread issue that has happened on many different devices. It's not a carrier issue, but an Android bug issue. There are several claimed "fixed" to the problem that involved enabling/disabling auto-retrieval of MMS in various apps but nothing has fixed it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh. My. God.

It was as simple as using the "mark all as read" option to clear this mysteriously hidden message. Even though I deleted EVERYTHING, there was something somewhere still unread.

That did it. I had yet to see that suggestion as a solution from all my google searching. Hopefully someone finds this and tries this option.

Signewton

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The fix that worked for me was to go to the inbox folder in go sms. For whatever reason I had two messages in there. Deleted those and the problem went away.

asuyaa12

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
i have a samsung galaxy s and im having THE EXACT same issue and it happened after i recieved a picture message and i went to go find the mark all as read button and cant seem to find it...someone please help me!

Signewton

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When I had this problem gosms was the culprit. Gosms has an inbox folder so I went in there and deleted everything. That seemed to fix the problem

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Mattis Asp

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Same issue with Samsung S3 internal message system.

This is my stupid fix, it should work at least for other Samsung S3 devices, and probably all.
1. Backup all your sms with "SMS Backup & Restore".
2. Delete all sms including mms on your mobile.
3. Restore all sms with "SMS Backup & Restore".

Takes about 5 -10 minutes to fix. But feels great afterwards!

Irelandvixen

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Im having this problem now i keep gettimg hidden sender address and when i click on it it takes me to the new message screen. I try to delete it and it wont let me delete it. Also i tried to delete all my txt in mass form it just stayed at zero percent then my txt app gosms wouldnt work. I can delete my text one at a time but still cant delete the hidden sender message it has blank where name should be and looks like there is a pic in there but nothings there. Someone said to go to the inbox and delete everything i cant find an inbox. I tried the mark all as read that didnt work neither did the back up and restore. Help its driving me nuts

Trevar Williams

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Im having this problem now i keep gettimg hidden sender address and when i click on it it takes me to the new message screen. I try to delete it and it wont let me delete it. Also i tried to delete all my txt in mass form it just stayed at zero percent then my txt app gosms wouldnt work. I can delete my text one at a time but still cant delete the hidden sender message it has blank where name should be and looks like there is a pic in there but nothings there. Someone said to go to the inbox and delete everything i cant find an inbox. I tried the mark all as read that didnt work neither did the back up and restore. Help its driving me nuts

Try marking all your messages read. This worked for me, and I haven't had that issue yet. If you go to the default click the 3 dots on the top right and click mark all read. If you dont see that option send yourself a text message and close the messaging app before you read it. Or ask someone to send you a text so the it appears as a new message. After you have a new message go and mark all read and the notifications should go away. At least that's what I did and it worked.

Ramana Miriyala

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello... just enable hangouts in your messages settings, open the messages (SMS) through hangouts where you can see the unread messages. Open them, delete them and come out. You may disable the hangouts selection after you finish this activity if you don't want to continue with hangouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty