Bell Galaxy Nexus Update :(

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I've had this Galaxy Nexus since the thing came out 9 months ago, and I LOVE it. Been patiently waiting for updates, and have been running 4.0.1 ICS with no updates - until now. Imagine my surprise and excitement when my phone started an upgrade today! Turns out...it's to 4.0.2. REALLY!?!?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
to avoid such problem you could convert your phone to takju build of nexus.
that way you will be the first to get the update as soon as it is released. since its gsm you would have no issues since all you doing is converting the phone like the phone bought from google play.
I guess the 4.0.2 came back in feb and jelly bean update will take time.

instructions are here if you wanna flash it http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...er-factory-restore-root-any-nexus-device.html

or this

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-return-your-gsm-nexus-stock-flash-takju.html

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, but doesn't rooting void your warranty if something goes wrong with your phone? Again, I'm sorry for asking what seems like a stupid question that I should/will look up.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, but doesn't rooting void your warranty if something goes wrong with your phone? Again, I'm sorry for asking what seems like a stupid question that I should/will look up.

Well no, rooting doesn't void your warranty, because if you need to send in your phone, its extremely trivial to unroot.

That's beside the point here though, because flashing stock images is not rooting. There's nothing risky about it, you're simply applying software directly downloaded from Google to your Google phone. All you're doing is essentially factory resetting the phone and at the same time applying Google firmware instead of the firmware you had before.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You really dont have to Root to convert to the play store build.

you will have to unlock bootloader. Install the build and lock the boot loader again. rooting can be avoided and ur phone will be just like new when you first bought it.

le_prof

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Was in your situation also, with the same carrier (Bell).

For my part, I followed the following procedure :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1626895

Worked for me! At the time, I flashed ICS 4.0.4 and got the JB OTA 5 minutes later! Very effective method! Now, however, you can flash JB directly to your device.

I recommend to go for the yakju build, since Google Wallet (takju) is not available with Bell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Flash that phone and go to stock! I'm here for moral support, let me know how it goes. :)

lynmarti

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I took everyone's advice and flashed takju and the JB update arrived in minutes (just like le_prof). Thanks to you all for the enlightenment. So far so good - Jellybean is smooth and fast.