Battery question (brand new device)

rustycaterpillar

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Apologies is this is an old topic;

I just got my GNex on Verizon last week and I am not thrilled so far with battery performance, I am still going through the process of running it down and then charging all the way up but in the morning when I unplug it almost immediately the battery percentage drops to 97%. Within 60 seconds. Is this normal or is this a bad battery?

I remember from my Droid Incredible they had an issue in the beginning where the phone wouldnt actually charge to 100% unless you unplugged and then replugged etc.

I am planning on ordering the extended battery but I thought I would ask if this is something I should expect in general.

Thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that's normal. Battery capacity degrades and reduces over time.
so even if it says 100% it has charged only 97%. That's how most battery works

mine started with somewhere at 98% and now have a capacity of 94% after 1 year of use.

tryout some battery app to check the capacity of your battery

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd say it's completely normal. Don't get too caught up in what the numbers say. If it's lasting you most to all of the day, especially with use, then you're within spec.

I will add though, completely draining and recharging a lithium-ion battery is actually not good for it. It's not like the old NiCad or NiMH batteries; there is no memory effect. Li-Ion batteries actually run best with short-cycle charge/re-charge not full-cycle. I've only read of one solid reason to fully drain and recharge the battery, and that is to sync the battery's charge indicator electronics with the OS's statistics. Not sure if I ever noticed any difference or discrepancy, but about once every few months I'll let my battery run down to 0%, just to be sure.

RealAndriod

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Try to get an App called Battery Doctor, It's a great app and extended my battery life since I got it 4 days ago
You shouldn't be worried, I think what's happening to your GNex is normal