Nexus or Droid Incredible 4G?

gmofftarki

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for an on-contract upgrade for my Droid 1.

Since I don't have too much money to spare at the moment, that looks like it will either be the Droid Incredible LTE or the Galaxy Nexus.

I like the Nexus better. I want a larger screen than I have on the Motorola Droid (usable touchscreen, but just a *touch* cramed), I want a newer operating system, and the camera seems better on the Nexus based on the pictures posted here and elsewhere (Less resolution, better dynamic range, less distortion, faster, etc). Also better storage capacity.

I don't *hate* HTC sense, and the videos I've seen of the newer Sense 4.0 versions have seemed to be reasonably good improvements of base Android 4.0 for the most part. I also tend to drop my phone from a relatively low height about once every couple months onto a wood or tile floor, so i'm not sure if I need gorilla glass or not. Battery life for each device is also a concern, since that seems to be a huge 'problem' with the Galaxy Nexus, though I spend a fair majority of my time sitting next to a charger or in my car with a microUSB charger.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to be hacking the phone any time soon, since I really won't be able to replace it if something goes wrong.

So- the top-of-the-line older device with faster updates than other Verizon devices? Or the middle-of-the-road, smaller newer device?

gmofftarki

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Dear [me],

Great News! Your new Verizon Wireless Galaxy Nexus by Samsung - 4G LTE has completed processing and is ready to ship. As soon as it passes our Quality Assurance team, we will update our Customer Support website and send you another email so you can track your package directly on the shipper's site.
---
... Wish me luck.

bigdanorama

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
If you're familiar with Rooting and putting ROM's on your device, you may want to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus as soon as you get; Verizon takes a long time to update the phone. I think its still on Android 4.1.1...We GSM people are on 4.2.1.. Heck, so it before you set up your apps and such. (Doing so factory resets the phone, that's why).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gmofftarki

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not at all familiar with rooting, but I tend to be pretty tech-savvy, so I should be able to figure it out (And i've got a droid eris and a droid 1 that I can screw around with first, if you think that practice would be worth anything).

The one thing that I feel like I'm going to miss is facebook syncing contacts with my phone. It's been useful on occasion when I needed to call someone that I hadn't entered into my phone proper. Also- seeing pictures of the people calling me when they call is sort of neat, and currently those pictures are pulled off of facebook.

Have Google and Facebook worked out their little snit? If not, which ROM was it that was effectively stock JB, but with facebook contact syncing put back in?

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you're familiar with Rooting and putting ROM's on your device, you may want to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus as soon as you get; Verizon takes a long time to update the phone. I think its still on Android 4.1.1...We GSM people are on 4.2.1.. Heck, so it before you set up your apps and such. (Doing so factory resets the phone, that's why).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Even though the Verizon G-Nex runs 4.1.1 it is a major upgrade over your Droid 1. I suggest really getting to know Jelly Bean before rooting and applying ROM's. Android 4.2 isn't super stable for us on the GSM G-Nex anyway.

gmofftarki

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
On a side note- Newegg deserves some recognition. I ordered the thing this afternoon at 1:56PM. It was shipped out at 3:18 and will be delivered Monday morning. That's pretty impressive turnaround for a weekend.

Drove past a Best Buy this evening and decided to go in, and checked out the three phones I'd been considering. Razr Maxx was a bit big (even though a smaller screen) for my tastes, but Incredible just felt pretty dinky. Nexus fit my hand like a glove.

Glad I made the decision I did. Hopefully the battery life won't come back to bite me for that.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My apologies if you already considered this but did you think about buying a used GNex online for about $200 in order to keep your unlimited data plan?

Only asked since you see so many on here moaning when they realized that renewing their contract got rid of unlimited data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

gmofftarki

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My apologies if you already considered this but did you think about buying a used GNex online for about $200 in order to keep your unlimited data plan?

Only asked since you see so many on here moaning when they realized that renewing their contract got rid of unlimited data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I'm on a family plan, and the primary member already nixed the unlimited data plan so he could upgrade from his non-android 4 to a non-android 5. So... no real reservations in that regard other than that I was unsure it was the best choice to be locked into for two years.

I also tried to explain that to him at the time "You're never going to be able to get an unlimited data plan again", but apparently (even with Sandy!) we only manage to collectively use about 3GB of our 6GB plan in any given month, anyway.