Google TV

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain this to me? Are they making TV's now, or are they providing cable/other service?

Most importantly, the the TV has internet access, can I watch what is on the TV at my house on my Incredible away from my house? If so Can I change channels?

I guess I would like to explain to me like Im a first grader( Im simple what can I say?):confused:

Exstatica

May 3, 2010
www.exstatica.net
The idea is they want to bring all Media into your tv, They won't be making TV, infact they won't be making anything but the software which runs some form of android. But they also run the backend.

As a large search indexer, and control of youtube, they pretty much know how to find content. The idea is you'd get rid of Cable, and with just an internet connection you can watch any show, any time you want. On top of all of that I'm sure there will be some subscription services.

I don't know about you but I've been waiting for an Ala Carte type TV service for a long time, If I can just watch whatever shows I want and have it be way cheaper then all the 1000 channels I have on FIOS, well I'd be a happy camper.

I'm sure as it gets released you'll have the ability to do the same via any device you want, be it mobile, desktop, or TV.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The idea is they want to bring all Media into your tv, They won't be making TV, infact they won't be making anything but the software which runs some form of android. But they also run the backend.

As a large search indexer, and control of youtube, they pretty much know how to find content. The idea is you'd get rid of Cable, and with just an internet connection you can watch any show, any time you want. On top of all of that I'm sure there will be some subscription services.

I don't know about you but I've been waiting for an Ala Carte type TV service for a long time, If I can just watch whatever shows I want and have it be way cheaper then all the 1000 channels I have on FIOS, well I'd be a happy camper.

I'm sure as it gets released you'll have the ability to do the same via any device you want, be it mobile, desktop, or TV.

Thanks for the info. I agree with the Ala Carte Tv. It seems right now with little adds that Directv has the bill gets more and more unaffordable. yet once they get you wit hteh intro offers it is hard to get without something, such as DVR. Which you wouldnt need with watch what you want when you want to watch it type of service.

Cirro

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
have access to only the shows that I want at a better rate sounds amazing to me. I just dont see every broadcast channel agreeing to this tho.

dgalanter

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If I change my name to Dave Googlenter will Google give me free stuff? Because I love this idea so much, I may be welling. ;)

Exstatica

May 3, 2010
www.exstatica.net
They will also support a API/IP type service to allow you to connect Google TV to a set top box, probably anything with digital cable, or some type of network connected box will be able to talk to it. That way you can also use it as a DVR.

flyfisher7

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If a household already has an HD cable service, say ATT Uverse, with an HD DVR, what would be the main attraction to getting the Google TV box? The household already has DVR. Will there be any significant value to purchasing this? I can't see paying the hundreds of dollars for a box that let's me watch youtube. I can do that on my PS3.

Some one please explain the value here. Thanks.

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If a household already has an HD cable service, say ATT Uverse, with an HD DVR, what would be the main attraction to getting the Google TV box? The household already has DVR. Will there be any significant value to purchasing this? I can't see paying the hundreds of dollars for a box that let's me watch youtube. I can do that on my PS3.

Some one please explain the value here. Thanks.

me either? i dont get the point of this. i can already hook up my laptop to my tv and watch whatever is available on the web plus my tivo offers youtube already on my tv directly. if all this is is bridging the gap from my tv to the web then i dont know if its neccesarily so worth it? i mean if you give me hbo and cinemax ok but everything thats already on the web? nah i already got it and a cable too. why go for more?

flyfisher7

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
me either? i dont get the point of this. i can already hook up my laptop to my tv and watch whatever is available on the web plus my tivo offers youtube already on my tv directly. if all this is is bridging the gap from my tv to the web then i dont know if its neccesarily so worth it? i mean if you give me hbo and cinemax ok but everything thats already on the web? nah i already got it and a cable too. why go for more?

I'm with ya buddy, If there is additional content then, yes, I might bite. But for it to do what I can already do I'm not so impressed.

I would jump all over this thing if I could dump my TV service provider.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Will Google TV have live TV also? That would be so sweet if they did. If they had live TV (for sports, weather and news), and a hulu-type player for everything else, the need for your cable company would cease to exist.

asdr24

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The idea is to have just one box to do it all. Instead of having to hook up a laptop to your tv or switch from your PS3 to cable box you'll be able to do it all from the one box. (Even though with most providers you'll still need your cable box near the Google TV box.)

The idea is to make it where you can access web content along with your cable content seamlessly. To get a really simple explanation check out this link on YouTube.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a Blueray player, but I probably will when they start making them with Google TV integrated. They already integrate a number of web-based services into Blueray players, such as YouTube, Pandora, Netflix, etc. I think when Google TV shows up in those players, people won't have to pick the player based on what services are integrate. With Google TV, we should be able to pick wich services we want and install the appropriate app for it. For example, if you like Last.FM more than Pandora, then you can pick that, or you can have both. The choice will be yours... at least that's what I'm hoping for. I think Sony will be releasing a Google TV Blueray player later this year. I just wish I knew when.

-SR-

jeff_rigby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The idea is to have just one box to do it all. Instead of having to hook up a laptop to your tv or switch from your PS3 to cable box you'll be able to do it all from the one box. (Even though with most providers you'll still need your cable box near the Google TV box.)

The idea is to make it where you can access web content along with your cable content seamlessly. To get a really simple explanation check out this link on YouTube.

I'd add that Google TV includes the Google Chrome web browser, a basic set of Android applications (appointment book, calender, text editor, Skype, etc.) and Android applications can run on a device that contains Google TV. Beyond that Google is releasing free APIs so that web site developers can produce web sites that look good when displayed on a TV.

RE; Android, an Android application can look up local weather, movies, news, traffic conditions or one can control your home theater devices; it can run when you load a DVD (closes curtains, turns down lights, starts the popcorn maker, etc.)

Want a map to a store in town, Google maps will probably be interfaced into Google TV with APIs to make it look good on a TV. See it now?

Do as suggested, pay attention to the required hardware (1080P+ A/V display, keyboard/mouse, LAN or WIFI, IR blaster and Video input from set top box, camera, Bluetooth, microphone and think voice recognition and gesture control) then search for the Android toolkit and look at the included Android applications. Remember also that Android applications unless device specific can be run on ALL devices that support Android or Google TV. So for example, an Android application that looks up local weather will work on ALL devices.

Last edited: