[OFFICIAL] Droid X Gingerbread Impressions and Issues

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed lately that after I connect my DX to my computer via USB, most of my App shortcuts for apps on the SD Card have disappeared from the homescreen and have to be added back.

Faafil

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
When using Maps, you find a business and since GB it no longer populates the dialer with the number. I've also tried using Search. Is there a fix? My .573 didn't have this issue. It's only since I went OTA .596.

I noticed that problem yesterday as well with the Maps 5.6.0 update. However, since then, I have powered down my phone to charge it and the problem seems to have resolved itself.

Also, for whatever reason, uninstalling maps updates and reinstalling them seems to have helped with populating the dialer from a webpage...

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I never uninstalled the Maps update, but I can now populate the dialer from a webpage. I think that the latest Maps update may have fixed it for me.

kilrdroid

May 19, 2011
Visit site
FUBAR since Ginger Bread

FUBAR since Ginger Bread

Nothing but problems since receiving the GB update that was pushed out.

My biggest problem is my SD card becomes un-accessable 3-4 times per day (message: "SD card unmounted or un-available")
It mostly happens when I connect to either my Car Dock or my Media Dock (both are Motorolla Docks)

I thought my original SD card was bad so i bought a 16GB high speed card. I still had the same problems so i bought another SD card thinking it was bad too.

I have tried formatting all cards again with the same results.

I do not keep any applications on the SD card. Only Music, video and pictures so I am not having the same issues as people list in this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/89944-sd-card-issues-after-gb-update-2.html

I have tried clearing the phones cache

3 cards same problem = I dont think its the SD card(s)

I am considering reinstalling the OS. Will I be able to reinstall the Apps I have paid for?

Thanks!

Reactions: griff7774

kilrdroid

May 19, 2011
Visit site
FUBAR since Ginger Bread

Nothing but problems since receiving the GB update that was pushed out.

My biggest problem is my SD card becomes un-accessable 3-4 times per day (message: "SD card unmounted or un-available")
It mostly happens when I connect to either my Car Dock or my Media Dock (both are Motorolla Docks)

I thought my original SD card was bad so i bought a 16GB high speed card. I still had the same problems so i bought another SD card thinking it was bad too.

I have tried formatting all cards again with the same results.

I do not keep any applications on the SD card. Only Music, video and pictures so I am not having the same issues as people list in this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/89944-sd-card-issues-after-gb-update-2.html

I have tried clearing the phones cache

3 cards same problem = I dont think its the SD card(s)

I am considering reinstalling the OS. Will I be able to reinstall the Apps I have paid for?

Thanks!

Re-installed the OS and all seems to be working.
Backing up all my contacts to Gmail works great!
I didnt backup any apps or app data as I wanted to start off fresh and reinstall one at a time.
Both Android Market and Amazon App store worked great restoring purchased apps! (Thanks WAldenIV) :cool:

Ill swap in my faster SD later to check that as well.

Overall I am very UN-IMPRESSED with Ginger Bread! WTF was the point?:( I was hoping for more features opened up through the HDMI port at the very least.

Reactions: griff7774

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I've given Gingerbread a good deal of shakedown. I started with the .588 non-root leak that came out a while ago, then sbf'd back to Froyo to put the official release on it.

First, the good:
I like the look of it. The dark colors look nice.
The updated blur is good too. Very clean. I have no problem with it. I know some people don't like Blur in general, but I like the latest version.

The bad:
- The camera is hit or miss. I don't mean in picture quality (although I've never been impressed). I mean in actually working. Hitting the camera button may or may not open the app. When it does open, it may or may not take a picture. If it does take a picture, it may or may not save that picture.

- The picture gallery may or may not work. Seriously, this was a problem before Gingerbread, yet it still exists. Do they even bother trying to fix it? Again, it's 50/50 on whether I'll be able to access my photos and pictures, or if I'm going to have to close the gallery app and reopen it and hope I'll be able to access my pictures.

- Messaging now sucks. SMS works fine. MMS is another hit or miss proposition. In fact, it's more miss than hit. I may be able to send a picture 1 out of 3 times. Receiving pictures is worse. Most of the time, my phone will not retrieve the pictures. Sometimes the MMS problem can be fixed by rebooting my phone, but often, it doesn't do anything.

- Sometimes data just flat out doesn't work. I can make calls, I can send SMS, but everything else that requires data just stops working randomly. This problem is fixed by restarting my phone, but it's become almost a daily occurrence. For some reason it just randomly stops dealing with data.

- Mail sync is no longer anywhere near as instantaneous as it was. On Froyo, my Gmail stuff would be pushed to the phone nearly instantly. Now, it's anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. I've looked at all of my settings and it should be instant.

- Random reboots.

- Speaker volume is really, really low now. When I'm in a call, I can barely hear anybody. It's ridiculous. If I'm not in a dead quiet room, I'll miss most of what people are saying because I can't hear them. The volume on the phone is set at the maximum level, yet it's not even close to where it used to be.

- Still no way to access my Picasa albums in the Gallery. I know this isn't specifically a Gingerbread thing, but it's annoying to still not have this. My OG Droid tied it right into gallery, making it actually functional before they screwed that up with the Froyo update.

Things I've done to try and fix these problems:

- SBF to Froyo, reinstall GB (official install, 1st attempt)
- Factory reset, wipe cache (official install, 2nd attempt)
- Factory reset, wipe cache, wipe SD card (official install, 3rd attempt)
- SBF back to Froyo (again), factory reset, wipe cache, install GB, wipe cache, wipe SD card (official install, 4th attempt)

I'm done screwing with it. I've contemplated going back to Froyo permanently, but it will only be a temporary fix, and quite honestly I'm just completely annoyed with the whole damn thing. GB has been a bust for me. It's nothing but problem after problem after problem. It's not enough to make the phone unusable, but there are now important features that just don't work properly. Congrats, Gingerbread. You've succeeded in making me hate my phone.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take on the hard button lights staying on in the media dock. I've found that if the light is on in the room when I dock the phone (ambient light sensor detects no need for hard button lights) then the lights do not come on when the screen wakes up when I dock it. After that point, I can turn off the room lights and even when I turn the screen on again to switch to "bedside clock", or do anything else, the hard button lights do not come on. Seems like another bug that counteracts the first bug, but if it works consistently I'll take it.

On another note- I don't always use "bedside clock" mode because I still have a regular alarm clock (I need several alarms some mornings) so even when the screen is off, sometimes I can faintly detect that the backlight is on... I don't think this happens all the time, just annoying. Probably not really hurting anything, but probably can't be doing the phone any good either.

jmr7192

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed lately that after I connect my DX to my computer via USB, most of my App shortcuts for apps on the SD Card have disappeared from the homescreen and have to be added back.
Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the same issue and it is getting annoying.

sURFNmADNESS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok,
The wife's DX has the OTA update and ever since she commonly cannot answer calls or text out. She has to reboot or pull the battery to get to a place where she can even make a call. Battery life has also gone into 1/3rd the daily life it had before.

Has anyone heard if VZW even has a fix update in the works? For a wireless phone to not even be able to do it's primary function is pretty weak update. Especially when it worked fine before the update. If updates are going to be this broken, why not just the user decide when they want to update then.

BTW Moto, thanks for proving to me again my HTC has a better testing on their OTA updates.

JenniDianne

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I've never rooted my Droid X through the official Froyo update and now the official GB. I backed up everything first, then reset to factory settings and formatted the phone, then updated to GB. Then I restored all the apps from Market and from the Amazon Appstore. Everything works, none of the weird issues noted here (which I think are being caused by inexperienced people who had no business rooting their phones in the first place), and am impressed with GB - some handy new features too. BTW, on the issue of the camera - you do need to make sure you don't have fingerprints or grime on the plastic window over the camera - clean it and you will probably be impressed by the improvement in the quality of the photos. Just a hint. One other thing: I don't use task killers. If you read up on how the Android OS was designed, the OS takes care of killing off apps that aren't needed, in fact, you can seriously screw things up (by leaving open files or temporary files around in the system cache, etc) by using them. So don't. I don't. Result: No GB issues. Droid X and GB for the win!

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok,
The wife's DX has the OTA update and ever since she commonly cannot answer calls or text out. She has to reboot or pull the battery to get to a place where she can even make a call. Battery life has also gone into 1/3rd the daily life it had before.

Has anyone heard if VZW even has a fix update in the works? For a wireless phone to not even be able to do it's primary function is pretty weak update. Especially when it worked fine before the update. If updates are going to be this broken, why not just the user decide when they want to update then.

BTW Moto, thanks for proving to me again my HTC has a better testing on their OTA updates.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Lacarno

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any GPS problems in 2.3.3? I noticed that it takes longer to get a lock and doesn't keep that lock like it did before I updated. Basically what I mean here is that in Google Maps it seems like I spend more time with a blue circle around the arrow than just the arrow. This is important to me because I use an app for running (runkeeper). The idea of using my phone for this is much more appealing that spending the money on a GPS watch. Anyway, I just thought I would check to see if others were having this problem.

P.S. Forgive me if this was already mentioned in this thread. I used the search tool and didn't get any relevant results for 'GPS' in this thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao