Initial Thoughts on Evo 3D - Post Them Here!

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Guess an Airave won't work for me then -- since my only internet connection is the hotspot from the Evo 3D. I just wish I could get a better signal at home --- calls are okay, but the hotspot is noticeably slower. I have to find a place in my home office to put the phone where the bars are better --- up near the window sill tonight -- I guess I don't understand why the EVO never gave me any problems and the 3D has such a bad signal.

SteveM626

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I walked up to the hottest girl in the bar last night and took a picture of her and I (who isn't going to smile for a picture really) showed her our 3D picture and she thought it was soo cool. I got a number. I'm in love..with my phone

SurfXtraDog

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I brought my HTC EVO a year ago. I'm reading a lot of people are jumping from Evo to EVO 3d. I'm guessing they are paying $450 or more to do so since this phone has only been out one year and in most cases people signed two year deals to get into the EVO. Its (EVO 3d)clearly a better phone, but its not $400 plus better. I'll wait until I'm eligible for a full discount before I go phone hoping. Lets face it. The HTC EVO is not exactly chop liver.
I got the EVO 4G at launch last year but the GB upgrade brought a bug out of hiding and it kept shutting on and off at will. Factory reset, 3 times, numerous battery pulls and I finally convinced them (Sprint) to push my upgrade to the full 150.00. So the EVO 3D was 199.00 and I got 150.00 for my 4G trade so I paid 50.00 and I am LOVING the 3D!! the picture is so crisp and vibrent, and the sense is incredible. I can't wait to take 3D video this weekend!! If you can swing it ....get one!!:)

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have no bars or one bar where I sit all the time in my house which is at my computer desk. I saw it on roaming yesterday. I turn 3G off and just use wifi. What does an airrave do? I have a home phone so I really don't use my cell much to talk in my house and I also have these cordless phones that have bluetooth which I need to connect to my 3D still. But if my phone is back by the base unit I can use anyone of my cordless phone to answer my cell or to make it call from my cell. But just sitting at my desk I get one bar usually my friend in his apartment he gets full bars.

Guess an Airave won't work for me then -- since my only internet connection is the hotspot from the Evo 3D. I just wish I could get a better signal at home --- calls are okay, but the hotspot is noticeably slower. I have to find a place in my home office to put the phone where the bars are better --- up near the window sill tonight -- I guess I don't understand why the EVO never gave me any problems and the 3D has such a bad signal.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree I am having so much fun with this phone. I love it so much!

I got the EVO 4G at launch last year but the GB upgrade brought a bug out of hiding and it kept shutting on and off at will. Factory reset, 3 times, numerous battery pulls and I finally convinced them (Sprint) to push my upgrade to the full 150.00. So the EVO 3D was 199.00 and I got 150.00 for my 4G trade so I paid 50.00 and I am LOVING the 3D!! the picture is so crisp and vibrent, and the sense is incredible. I can't wait to take 3D video this weekend!! If you can swing it ....get one!!:)

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It will definitely perform better after a cycle or two... Li-Po batteries don't have memory and don't need any sort of breaking in, but the way the phone measures battery level is not an exact measurement by any stretch... That measurement or scale is what changes after a few cycles and becomes more accurate (on rooted phones you can even reset this, which can be convenient for a number of reasons). People don't seem to understand that and that's why you see so many pointless arguments over battery technology, etc. It's not about the battery, it's about the battery (voltage) readings the phone takes, duh.

Based on what you said, there's a couple very basic things you can do to improve your battery life tho (and signal). If you have broadband and a wifi router at home, use wifi instead of the 3G connection. Wifi is a direct point A to point B connection, a 3G radio is always scanning for a better signal or a less saturated tower, etc.; thus Wifi actually eats up less battery. There's a reason Android comes configured by default now to NOT turn off Wifi when the screen is off.

If you need a reminder to turn it off when you leave the house (so it doesn't waste power scanning while disconnected) then get Wifi Status on the Market (by Andrew Schwimmer). All it does is place an alert on the notification bar when Wifi is on but not connected (bonus: pressing it works as a shortcut to turn it off).

Finally, if reception at your home is bad enough (as it was in mine), you might still see a high battery drain when leaving the phone in areas with a single signal bar, even with Wifi on (which turns 3G off but still leaves that old phone part of your smartphone scanning for towers and a better signal). Supposedly the EVO 3D is better about this and doesn't scan as aggressively in those situations (the 4G would kill itself scanning), but why not just get an Airave?

The Airave is a femtocell, a device that plugs into your router and creates a mini cell tower within your household... Basically it routes calls (and even 3G with the newest model) over your home broadband. Calls consume very little bandwith, and the thing is a snap to install. Typically Sprint gives it away and charges $5/month for it's use ($10 for unlimited calling minutes thru it), but the retentions department I mentioned in my previous post is giving them away like candy to anyone who computations about bad service.

I called the normal CS department months ago and they said $5, but retentions (877-775-4886) gave it away with no monthly charge when I called asking about my ETF because I was "evaluating my options" (didn't even really threaten to cancel like many have); they also gave me back my 12 month upgrade. :D I really wasn't about to leave, despite the crappy signal at home Sprint is still the best deal, but they hooked me up so that isn't even an issue now! I'm very impressed with their CS after just one year, blows AT&T away by a mile. I had better coverage overall with AT&T in a few places, but that's about all I had (very glad Sprint is resisting the trend of data caps!).

thanks for this Amazing info

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Just purchased mine over the lunch hour. I've really only just begun playing, mostly downloading apps, re-connecting my accounts, that basic stuff.

First. Love how snappy it is. Nice, quick, very snappy.

Second. The power button annoys me already. VERY sensitive!! Hoping a case will help that.

Third: 3D. Really thought it would be gimmicky and cheesy. Not so much-- really COOL !!! Really, REALLY cool!

Fourth: charging port on the left side. Hmm. I rather liked it on the bottom, so this will take getting used to.

Fifth: Sense 3.0-- I'm lost already. Obviously I'm going to have to sit down and seriously play with this phone for all the neat fun new stuff.

That's all so far. I haven't had it long enough to know if the call quality is going to be ok. I will report back after further play.

Last edited:

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have no bars or one bar where I sit all the time in my house which is at my computer desk. I saw it on roaming yesterday. I turn 3G off and just use wifi. What does an airrave do? I have a home phone so I really don't use my cell much to talk in my house and I also have these cordless phones that have bluetooth which I need to connect to my 3D still. But if my phone is back by the base unit I can use anyone of my cordless phone to answer my cell or to make it call from my cell. But just sitting at my desk I get one bar usually my friend in his apartment he gets full bars.

Guess you skipped the post where I explained it in detail after quoting your post... Someone quoted my post in full two posts down from your last one, read it imo. If you don't understand something shoot me a PM so as to not derail the EVO 3D thread. If you don't use the cell phone at home much (or prefer the setup you have with the BT base station) then it won't do much for ya but it can be had for free, might be worth it just for the battery saved from having a stable permanent signal (less charge/recharge cycles, less heat, longer lasting battery... altho HTC batteries are cheap).

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I didn't realize you explained it sorry. It's no big deal I don't really need one and I did buy 3 batteries and a wall charger already. But my batteries been doing pretty good so far. I wish Yahoo mail would work for me again.. :-(

Guess you skipped the post where I explained it in detail after quoting your post... Someone quoted my post in full two posts down from your last one, read it imo. If you don't understand something shoot me a PM so as to not derail the EVO 3D thread. If you don't use the cell phone at home much (or prefer the setup you have with the BT base station) then it won't do much for ya but it can be had for free, might be worth it just for the battery saved from having a stable permanent signal (less charge/recharge cycles, less heat, longer lasting battery... altho HTC batteries are cheap).

Dr. 3Dvo

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
One of the first person to buy one in my county. I love it!!! It has a great feel to it, smaller and thinner than the regular Evo, much faster (way faster than the iPhone at its best), the 3D camera is not the greatest but then again who can say they even have that capibility on they're mobile device. I am waiting for the updates as it will fix the few bugs that it has (forecloses on some app and of course the batt life is not the best). Other than that, it's one of the best phones I ever owned and personally, probably the best phone on the market.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have no bars or one bar where I sit all the time in my house which is at my computer desk. I saw it on roaming yesterday. I turn 3G off and just use wifi. What does an airrave do?...
I just did an article on this for you and others:

Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home

You need an Airave. It is your own personal cell tower in your home. You need DSL or other high speed internet such as cable for it to work.

Follow those steps and they should waive the $100 cost and $20/month fees. And you will have full strength reception at home!

It works great.

Last edited:

mnfats127

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Got 2 3d's, coming from tmo MT3g's. Phone seems very nice so far. Call quality has seemed ok on the 1 or two calls I have made. Build quality of phone seems very nice. I do think the cameras are in a bad spot for potential scratches. FM radio works very nicely, not that that is a big deal. Sprint tv seems to be terrible quality video. Right now I am at 6h:11m on battery: display has been on for 2h:14m at default brightness, 30minutes of Internet, phone idle for 3h:56m, 7minutes of sprint tv, Battery shows 5 bars.
I have zero apps on it atm because yesterday I got the sleep of death )sod) at least 6 times where I had to pop the battery out in order to wake it back up. So I have done a factory reset 3 times, and done all teh updates except the htc ones. So far today no SOD.

2nd phone had one partial sleep of death where the buttons lit up but the screen would not wake.

aoi222

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So far I love mine. My only annoyance was that Netflix wasn't available, which someone has already found away around. This is the first android phone I've owned and it has yet to disappoint, although coming from a phone with Windows Mobile 6 just about anything is better. Can't wait to start doing a little development for it. I think my first project is going to be a widget to turn off skype and google talk notifications so I can easily turn them off when I sit down at my computer.

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Got 2 3d's, coming from tmo MT3g's. Phone seems very nice so far. Call quality has seemed ok on the 1 or two calls I have made. Build quality of phone seems very nice. I do think the cameras are in a bad spot for potential scratches. FM radio works very nicely, not that that is a big deal. Sprint tv seems to be terrible quality video. Right now I am at 6h:11m on battery: display has been on for 2h:14m at default brightness, 30minutes of Internet, phone idle for 3h:56m, 7minutes of sprint tv, Battery shows 5 bars.
I have zero apps on it atm because yesterday I got the sleep of death )sod) at least 6 times where I had to pop the battery out in order to wake it back up. So I have done a factory reset 3 times, and done all teh updates except the htc ones. So far today no SOD.

2nd phone had one partial sleep of death where the buttons lit up but the screen would not wake.

That camera issue bugs me too, but someone posted a response from HTC and in short, they said in testing and trying to scratch it, it's nearly indestructible. I still want to protect it. I wonder if it may also be Gorilla glass, but HTC won't say.

PIP 3D

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving it so far. Second day. At first was a little disappointed as I really couldn't see a difference from my 4g. But a little playing around and I'm really digging it. Also that endgadget review almost turned me off complete on this phone. Though I could smell a lot of bias in that review. Are there any reviews worth reading? I do not mind calling faults to any device so long as it doesn't bleed tinges of fanboyism in it. I never saw them review the iphone like that.

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Just started checking out some 3D youtube vids awesome. There is one called cutting through youtube that has great effects. Things really lift off the screen on this one.

iEd

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving it so far. Second day. At first was a little disappointed as I really couldn't see a difference from my 4g. But a little playing around and I'm really digging it. Also that endgadget review almost turned me off complete on this phone. Though I could smell a lot of bias in that review. Are there any reviews worth reading? I do not mind calling faults to any device so long as it doesn't bleed tinges of fanboyism in it. I never saw them review the iphone like that.

The engadget review almost had go for the Nexsus S. The best review I have seen so far from a month ago was the Wirefly.com review I thought it was dead on based my experience with EVO 3D so far