OTA Gingerbread!

christicdc

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the update and it worked great! I have had zero problems. I moved all my apps off of the sd card before hand and all my apps are still there. Thanks guys!:)

nv40

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Well hello everyone. Been creepin' through this thread trying to get my DINC updated yet no luck.
Here's my brief story...
-phone was stock 2.2 froyo but rooted w/ unrevoked
-had notification of new ota update 2.3.4 yesterday
-tried updated, failed probably cause of root
-followed this guide to unroot Unroot Your Droid Incredible | JonSuh.com
-waited for notification
-became impatient, maimly cause I was not going to load up all my apps again just to have them wiped by the update and have to load again... so my phone is nothing but stock stuff til I get the 2.3.4
-looked around for a downloadable official OTA update... found this guide
-downloaded /6f37e6f6b9ab.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_4.06.605.3-3.26.605.1_release_210690.zip
-renamed to update (actual file is update.zip, not .zip.zip like some did)
-stuck on root of SD card after formatting and doublechecking fat32 is the filesystem
-vol down+power to hboot... found nothing, looks for PB31DIAG.zip &PB31IMG.zip not update.zip
-read some more... found out about recovery>DINC w/ red triangle>read more>vol up + power then selected Apply sdcard:update.zip
-Then... wall
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying updatepackage...
Installing update...
assert failed: check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"). "0000000" , "1111111" , "2222222" , "3333333" , "4444444" , "5555555" , "6666666" , "7777777" , "8888888" , "9999999" , "VZW__001") == "t"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

-Tried with both my 16gb card and my stock 2gb... both same problem.
-tried redownloading the OTA 3 times to make sure it was not corrupt... same problem.
-also tried naming update.zip to PB31IMG.zip, on hboot it start to read it, progress bar makes it to 100% then goes away and just sits at hboot menu like nothing happened

thanks for all the info so far guys, now if we can just figure this one out...

Last edited:

skunis1

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying updatepackage...
Installing update...
assert failed: check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"). "0000000" , "1111111" , "2222222" , "3333333" , "4444444" , "5555555" , "6666666" , "7777777" , "8888888" , "9999999" , "VZW__001") == "t"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

-Tried with both my 16gb card and my stock 2gb... both same problem.
-tried redownloading the OTA 3 times to make sure it was not corrupt... same problem.
-also tried naming update.zip to PB31IMG.zip, on hboot it start to read it, progress bar makes it to 100% then goes away and just sits at hboot menu like nothing happened

thanks for all the info so far guys, now if we can just figure this one out...

Welcome to the club!

I was never rooted but manually updated to Froyo last year. I got the same exact error that you got. I never tried renaming the update.zip to PB31IMG.zip though but doesn't seem like that works.

Only thing that worries me is I am going to get the OTA and it will not install. And if that happens VZW are so boneheaded they will probably tell me to do a factory reset.

donut

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Will the update get pushed to me again? The first time I got the OTA something went wrong and it didn't install.

spatrick

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been having the same problem. Re downloaded a couple of times, checked md5 but it will not update. I have double checked everything and tried a couple of different sd cards. It will not let me force the update either. I don't know if the updated ever gets pushed to my phone will that even work?

kowalski989

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
This update worked flawlessly. I downloaded it, renamed it to just "update" because the .zip will add itself, and through it on the sd card. I turned off the phone, held the the power and volume down button, and bam... it started updating all on it's own. Gingerbread is super fast. Of course my market thinks it has sprint like everyone elses. The only thing I don't like is that the clock always flips from an hour and two minutes previous when I turn the screen on (not sure if everyone's does this) and some of the new icons, such as the one that appears over messages when you have a new text. I liked the all green circle over the new blackish one. But these things are minor and are only my opinion.

All my apps, messages, contacts, data, etc.. are still there. I didn't back up anything. I did move all my apps that were on my sd card over to my phone first so I wouldn't have to reinstall them.

Battery is already lasting longer and I'm still amazed by how fast the start up is for the phone.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is for non rooted phones I thought. I am rooted stock and used thee xda post in this forum and it worked with no problems. Try that way. I think because you are rooted you are getting that message.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am getting an error
E: Faliure to verify signature
Abort
I am rooted with unrevoked but have the stock rom installed.
Any ideas?

Tony is correct. You have the wrong HBOOT and recovery. Load the Rooted ROM. It flashes like a regular ROM in recovery. Not through HBOOT.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...redible-sept-2011-rooted-gingerbread-ota.html

@ Tony - you may want to update to this one as well - just wipe Cache and Dalvil Cache under advanced and flash away

ODJ45

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this great posting. I'm on a D-Inc stock Froyo, never rooted. Everything worked as advertised. Very much appreciate the ability of upgrading to Gingerbread without having to wait for the Verizon OTA notification. :):)

dna550

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Android 2.3.4 Yes!

Gingerbread%20on%20htc%20Droid%20Incredible.jpg

I have waited so long for this! Thanks!

One note: Using Windows 7 I did need to name the file update.zip in order for HBOOT to recognize the file.

I also reformatted my microSD drive with FAT32, since it was formatted as FAT.

This did make me wonder if the reason that Verizon pulled the OTA Android 2.3.4 upgrade was because it was hitting htc Droid Incredibles, like mine. that had the original 2GB microSD card that was formatted with FAT?

Did Verizon have to go back and rework the upgrade to work on FAT SD drives?

Features in 2.3.4

DROID INCREDIBLE BY HTC.

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update, Software Version: Build Number: 4.06.605.3; Baseband Version: 2.15.10.07.07, for your Droid Incredible.

This update provides several improvements for your device, as well as upgrading to the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Operating System (OS).

Verizon Wireless and HTC encourage you to download this update.

DROID INCREDIBILE by HTC? SOFTWARE UPDATE

For step-by-step instructions on how to perform this download, visit verizonwireless.com/droidincrediblesupport [!]

DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license. Standard data charges apply. Device capabilities: add’l charges and conditions apply. ? 2011 Verizon Wireless. 0811-D9270

Enhancements:

+ Download Manager App:
• New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.

+ App and Power Management Details:
• Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.

+ Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
• New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.

Messaging
+ MMS messages send correctly.
+ Properly save audio files from MMS messages.
+ Successfully play audio files from a message.
+ Send Vcard through a SMS message.

Connection
+ Internet connection via Bluetooth? now enabled.
+ VZ Navigator™ now operates over Wi-Fi.

Additional Features
+ Change songs in the Music widget by tapping the forward button.
+ Camera functions successfully without inserting SD card.
+ City ID app fixed

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That wouldn't make sense nobody uses regular fat its usually fat32 or other formatting like ntfs etc

I was very surprised to find out that the 2GB memory card that came with this phone was indeed formatted for FAT not FAT32.

EDIT: Also while you save the download to the SD card when doing a MANUAL upgrade it has always been my understanding that the file is saved to the /cache folder during an actual OTA.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillPlayGames