Galaxy S3 Hype

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Does any one really think Samsung can live up to the insane hype / speculation for the GS3?
We're all expecting Brooke Burke but we might get Betty White.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: GS3 Hype

I think the Dread Pirate Roberts said it best ...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQ63DxfjQU[/YT]

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Cnet was yapping on about an anonymous source saying that the "GS3" (lets just call it that until we get it's real name) is just an "incremental" update over the GS2 much as the iPhone 4s was over the 4. Can Samsung afford to do this, especially with a phone that geeks and the rest of the world have been waiting for for months, and a phone that's going to be the "official" smartphone of the Olympics? All the huge hoopla for a phone that's just an incremental update? If you think about it, the GS2 still is a fast, awesome phone, and if the specs come in line with the rumored 720p (or even 1080p if you read BGR) Super Amoled plus display, the 4412 quad core processor (was hoping for the 5 series dual core based on A15 vs the A9) and a 8 MP camera together with ICS and a updated version of Touchwiz, then this "incremental" update falls right in line with what everyone has been expecting to begin with. It's an evolutionary step close to the step Samsung took going from the Galaxy S to the S2. I can't imagine this phone seeing the day of light without any of the rumored specs I just mentioned, especially the screen.

So, if this is there idea of "incremental", I am fine with it, gives you something to look forward one again by the end of the year. If they then manage to come out with a revolutionary product (bendable screen, 5 series processor, more ram, more whatever), then great, but I don't see the point of another such major step so soon.

We need a countdown clock. I for one will be glued to my computer come May 3rd, 2 PM, mostly likely with browser sitting on Samsungs FB site waiting for the live stream to start.

Reactions: crzycrkr

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Yeah Idk man, I really hope that CNet guy was wrong.

Not that there's anything wrong with the GS 2 even in it's current hardware it's still a great phone. But it would be counter-intuitive to even release such a device as a "GS2s" when the iPhone 5 is right around the corner and is going to be a main competitor for the GS 3/w/e it's called.

Not to mention, we've had like 5 different flavors of "GS2s"-s, the Skyrocket, the HD, the Note, the Nexus. With the Galaxy S coming out in 2010, the S2 in 2011, it's only logical, given the above mentioned facts, that we should expect a GS3 in 2012. Let's hope so at least.

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
We all know, love it or hate it, that the iPhone 5 will be a very nice looking powerhouse. I personally am not a fan but I do have respect as a former iPhone owner. "Incremental" would have been fine against the 4s but I feel like the "5" is going to require Sammy to really bring it!
Just a feeling I have....

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
We all know, love it or hate it, that the iPhone 5 will be a very nice looking powerhouse. I personally am not a fan but I do have respect as a former iPhone owner. "Incremental" would have been fine against the 4s but I feel like the "5" is going to require Sammy to really bring it!

Not sure about that to be honest. With the rumors Apple is keeping the same size screen, they're going to need to pull something really special out to make me think the 5 is anything but another incremental update.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about that to be honest. With the rumors Apple is keeping the same size screen, they're going to need to pull something really special out to make me think the 5 is anything but another incremental update.

I have a feeling the next iPhone will have at least two of the following: 4G/LTE (kinda a given at this point), bigger screen (4" is my guess), and redesigned body, more like the current iPad and iPod Touch. Does any of this make it a powerhouse? Not really, but we all know Apple fans will say it is a miraculous device never seen before by the likes of humanity. And even with any of changes like the ones I mention, it still pales in comparison, in my opinion, to the GSII, let alone whatever the GSIII brings to the table.

Reactions: crzycrkr

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I would lay money on it being 4". If they did 3.5" again the worms would infest the orchard and that fruit would not sell! Hell, at 4" they would still be behind. Like I said, I would lay money on it being 4" and pretty nice hardware/spec wise.
I just want my "apple coolaide" drinking friends to be crushed when they show me their new fruit and I sow them my new Galaxy. Mild jealousy will not suffice! :)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be 4" too, but there are rumors they're not upping the screen size. I could see it going either way. Apple is stubborn sometimes.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree, I think they need a 4" iPhone. But it will be interesting to see, since Jobs said it would never happen. Would Tim Cook dare go outside of the Jobs mantra?

My upgrade is in November, I'm hoping to have a choice between the GSIII and a Verizon version of the Galaxy Note. It should be an interesting time come holiday phone-shopping season!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree, I think they need a 4" iPhone. But it will be interesting to see, since Jobs said it would never happen. Would Tim Cook dare go outside of the Jobs mantra?

My upgrade is in November, I'm hoping to have a choice between the GSIII and a Verizon version of the Galaxy Note. It should be an interesting time come holiday phone-shopping season!

They need to break away from Jobs ideas in some cases. This is one of them. Apple has an interesting dilemma with their products. They're a luxury brand. Its difficult to stay in that spot and actually innovate technology wise and keep price and profit where you want it and hold onto your market share from a surging Android.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Does any one really think Samsung can live up to the insane hype / speculation for the GS3?
We're all expecting Brooke Burke but we might get Betty White.

The GSIII could never be Betty White. It might be Pam Anderson though...lots of cosmetic upgrades and now just...meh, but still better than Apple/Glenn Close....very good at what they do, but booooring.

OK, not sure if that analogy works, but it sounded good in my head.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Honestly, the sleek black glossy renders are pretty much all I'd ever want my phone to look like. Maybe some matte, ceramic body, but still anything is better than the hideous brick that is the ifruit. Those things are disgusting and I don't know how anyone can say they look "stylish."

I'm not one of those guys who decides on a phone with form over function in mind, I'm the total opposite. But DAYUM those iphones are ugly.

As for what looks good to me, this:

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/galaxy-s-iii-bgr.jpg

That looks sexy and is about as good as its gonna get for a phone, for me. Anything more is tipping into the "form over function" crowd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear