Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Jerry, question on the LTE:

I had thought LTE was the next generation GSM? If it's locked/proprietary/licensed, then it would mean the days of unlocked phones are numbered?

This makes me sad :(

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So Verizon gives Apple their secret code? Couldn't the iphone be hacked to get that code?
honestly i have no clue...but my guess is NO. without Source code, you cannot get that code just from a radio image. again, i am no coding genius, it is just my understanding of how things work...it may be totally correct, it may be completely untrue.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is why, if the radio image is what makes the rom proprietary, they don't just open source the rest of it??? I understand they can't just hand out the source to their CDMA img....if they did, people would hack their way into the network and get free voice, data, text, and god knows what else. But Honestly, if it's that big of a deal, then they should have aosp set up to download two things: android source code and a PRE-COMPILED radio img....you choose either gsm or cdma. If they don't want us building it, fine.....but I'm just getting sick & tired of all this fragmentation!!!! It's killing android, and it's killing the ideology of open source projects.

If I follow what Jerry explained along with what JQB has commented on in his various Google postings, when it comes to the CDMA/LTE specific's its more than just the radio.img that gets changed up. I believe there are even edits that are made to the system image to support the custom (proprietary) radio.img.

If that is correct then that cancels out the possibility of AOSP supporting even the system image for the CDMA/LTE versions.

Reactions: lightyear420
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The purpose or definition "if you will", of a Google Nexus phone is an Android smartphone produced by Google (in cooperation with hardware companies) and is meant to give the user the most "purest" or "fullfilling" android experience. The Google Nexus One, and the Nexus S did just that. Did the Galaxy Nexus? I have a Samsung Galaxy (epic 4g touch) phone and this is the fastest and most responsive phone I have ever owned. But seriously, who get's to decide if the phone is really a Nexus or not? In my opinion it's more of a Nexus then anything.

garyd

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If I follow what Jerry explained along with what JQB has commented on in his various Google postings, when it comes to the CDMA/LTE specific's its more than just the radio.img that gets changed up. I believe there are even edits that are made to the system image to support the custom (proprietary) radio.img.
Google can't do it, but CM, AOKP, etc all can?

My impression has been that there are portions (beyond the radio image and RIL) that google can't distro source for (because of signing issues?) and so they've basically just dropped support for CDMA. While Apple says "we control it all, or it's nothing", Google is basically doing the same thing on the opposite extreme: "we distribute it all, or it's nothing."

BTW, 4.0.4 is a CDMA image (For sprint)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I *think* the Nexus phones were designed solely to have a reference for application developers. A series of devices that all use the same, and most current, API level. The point release numbers just don't matter. What matters (to Google) is that software developers can buy a phone to use to build apps, so more people buy Android phones, and more people use Google search and GMail.

Because of how they launched the Google Nexus One, I believe the Nexus line of devices were not just meant for developers but also for everyday consumers who preferred Google's definition of what the Android experience should be.

Google tried to market the device online and disrupt the way we buy phones.

By everyday experience, I don't mean the promise of (quick) updates. I'm referring to the everyday use of the device.

I see the Nexus brand as Google's Android user experience, in the same way I see MOTOBLUR as Motorola's, Sense as HTC's, and TouchWiz as Samsung's.

The Galaxy Nexus for Verizon will always be a Nexus device.

Reactions: jroc

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

If that is correct then that cancels out the possibility of AOSP supporting even the system image for the CDMA/LTE versions.

ok, so I understand that it may be a little more than just the radio....but then why not have a "CDMA rom pack" and a "GSM rom pack" for devs to download? I just think there MUST be a much better way to provide this to avoid the ridiculous fragmentation we're currently seeing. There is always a better way ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Google can't do it, but CM, AOKP, etc all can?

Sure CM and others that have their repo's and source available online has also taken the steps of using AOSP source and then by various means of pulling the proprietary files from the devices they have incorporated the needed "missing links" to make things possible.

Don't forget too, that is also the reason why you see many "unofficial and early official CM" builds released with improper working data/camera, etc... Again proprietary files come into play once again or that is at least how I'm reading it right or wrong?

Last edited:

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
An update can consist of 4 parts:
system image
boot image
recovery image
radio image

Google builds the system image, boot image, recovery image from their source code.

Samsung and Verizon build the radio image.

In the system image, there are a handful of files that need changed because the Nexus is on a CDMA network. Google does not have the required licenses to re-distribute these files, they must come from Samsung and Verizon.

Google has a penta-band unlocked reference device. They build a version of Android for it, and test on it. When it passes their testing, the update is ready as far as Google is concerned. Verizon and Samsung then take that update (probably in the form of source code, not zip files) and make the required changes to allow the Nexus to work on a CDMA network. When finished, they give the green light for the update to be distributed from Google's servers.

Take everything above, and apply it to LTE as well, since it's a very closed and proprietary standard.

Because these versions are different when built, they need a different version number. This is why the GSM Nexus and CDMA Nexus will never be on the same version.

4.0.4 is the current version of Android. Any fixes special or specific to the CDMA Nexus are not included -- because Google does not have license to include them.

4.0.5 (maybe) will be the version for CDMA. It will never be in AOSP, because it uses code that is not open source.

Now is the time to ask any other questions. I'll try to answer if I know the answer.

Based on this statement
Take everything above, and apply it to LTE as well, since it's a very closed and proprietary standard.

At least in the US, and eventually europe we might as well just drop the argument about being able to build completely from source, AT&T and Verizon both already have LTE, Sprint's is moment's away and T-mobile has plans for LTE, the next nexus no matter what carrier it's released on in the US won't be able to be completly built directly from AOSP.

I don't think that was ever really a requirement for a nexus, it was a byproduct of the ease of distribution of GSM and HSPA radios because it wasn't closed source. That people liked

A nexus in my mind
Runs the latest major verizon of Android, not talking about the incremental changes.
Runs AOSP with the exclusion of the radios. UI is straight from google.
Has little to no bloatware, I'd make the arguement that VZ backup and VZ mobile isn't really bloatware, it's not something they add to make money like city ID, it's something they add to make the same vz services that the rest of their android phones have available on the phone. I myself always have vz mobile installed unless I'm running AOSP, but even then I'd prefer that I could.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
So basically when it comes down to CDMA radios Sprint and Verizon want to keep Google out of the loop. I say this for one reason, Google could most certainly afford the purchase of the CDMA license but for some reason are not being afforded this opportunity. Is this a false statement?
When it comes down to it everyone crowing about having a "Real" Nexus here in the U.S. have their
days numbered with the soon to be adopted LTE networks nationwide by all carriers.

Sent with Tapatalk 2 on my not real Galaxy Nexus.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Probably correct on the whole "Real Nexus/GSM based" theory.. LTE is obviously the way US carriers are moving.

As far as the whole what makes a Nexus, I agree with many others have said about Google's idea of AOSP experience, little or no bloatware, etc. etc...

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
And for the last time: Verizon does not control which updates this phone gets. It will get updated to jelly beand and whatever comes after it, and Verizon has no say in the matter...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

"Verizon and Samsung then take that update (probably in the form of source code, not zip files) and make the required changes to allow the Nexus to work on a CDMA network. When finished, they give the green light for the update to be distributed from Google's servers."

According to this statement by Jerry, Verizon can be a controlling factor in which updates this phone gets.

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So basically when it comes down to CDMA radios Sprint and Verizon want to keep Google out of the loop. I say this for one reason, Google could most certainly afford the purchase of the CDMA license but for some reason are not being afforded this opportunity. Is this a false statement?
When it comes down to it everyone crowing about having a "Real" Nexus here in the U.S. have their
days numbered with the soon to be adopted LTE networks nationwide by all carriers.

Sent with Tapatalk 2 on my not real Galaxy Nexus.

This isn't true. Most of the CDMA technology is owned by Qualcomm, and they are the reason Google has trouble with CDMA licenses not because of Verizon or Sprint per-say.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
"Verizon and Samsung then take that update (probably in the form of source code, not zip files) and make the required changes to allow the Nexus to work on a CDMA network. When finished, they give the green light for the update to be distributed from Google's servers."

According to this statement by Jerry, Verizon can be a controlling factor in which updates this phone gets.

I think an example of this can be seen in how long it took for the Nexus S 4g to receive the official ICS update from GB.

Google dropped the 4.0.4 source & NS4G/binaries for them a good time ago, but then it was still a ways off before Sprint actually went the steps required to make its necessary CDMA/WiMax edits needed to release.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I think an example of this can be seen in how long it took for the Nexus S 4g to receive the official ICS update from GB.

Google dropped the 4.0.4 source & NS4G/binaries for them a good time ago, but then it was still a ways off before Sprint actually went the steps required to make its necessary CDMA/WiMax edits needed to release.

Okay now this is where I get fuzzy. Everyone keeps saying that these phones cannot have software built from source because of the CDMA radios. Yet I was running a kick ass rom from Breezy that clearly stated "Pure AOSP built from source" on my Nexus S 4g way before it was released.

Sent from my (Not real) Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay now this is where I get fuzzy. Everyone keeps saying that these phones cannot have software built from source because of the CDMA radios. Yet I was running a kick ass rom from Breezy that clearly stated "Pure AOSP built from source" on my Nexus S 4g way before it was released.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yes it was built using AOSP source but I think Beezy was using GB radio.img and other proprietary files. I know the exact ROM your talking about, I ran it too...

I think the same can be said for all the rest of the ROM's built for the NS4G before official ICS release, they were using GB proprietary files to make everything gel and work.

Reactions: stoneworrior