The iPad just officially got Amazon Instant Video

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Might want to title this in a way that relates to the Nexus 7 so it doesn't get moved. :eek:

I saw this today too. Hopefully they'll open up soon, but something tells me they'll wait on it a bit. Their semi-big announcements like this usually get spread out pretty far.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
again, why does iOS get everything first? I don't get it. I would love the Amazon Instant Video app on my Nexus 7. That is really the only thing I miss from my Kindle Fire.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
There's a huge reason for Amazon not to make this available on general Android: the Nexus 7. Making Amazon Instant Video available on Android proper would kill any incentive for people to buy a Kindle Fire. Why bother when, for the same price, you get all the same Amazon content along with the whole Google Play ecosystem.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
There's a huge reason for Amazon not to make this available on general Android: the Nexus 7. Making Amazon Instant Video available on Android proper would kill any incentive for people to buy a Kindle Fire. Why bother when, for the same price, you get all the same Amazon content along with the whole Google Play ecosystem.

That is a valid point. At first I misunderstood your post.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Does Amazon really care if you buy a Kindle Fire? I thought the whole point of the Fire was for Amazon to provide a gateway device for selling you Amazon content. Amazon is not making much money on the Fire, and early articles even suggested that offering the Fire was an Amazon gamble that required Amazon to realize a small loss on each unit sold. I believe more recent analysis shows that Amazon breaks even when they sell a device. But my point is that Amazon offers the Fire so that you will buy more from Amazon. Since content is what Amazon is really interested in selling you, I think it would be to their benefit to allow all content on any device. It may be even more profitable for Amazon when you are willing to bring your own device to consume their services.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does Amazon really care if you buy a Kindle Fire? I thought the whole point of the Fire was for Amazon to provide a gateway device for selling you Amazon content. Amazon is not making much money on the Fire, and early articles even suggested that offering the Fire was an Amazon gamble that required Amazon to realize a small loss on each unit sold. I believe more recent analysis shows that Amazon breaks even when they sell a device. But my point is that Amazon offers the Fire so that you will buy more from Amazon. Since content is what Amazon is really interested in selling you, I think it would be to their benefit to allow all content on any device. It may be even more profitable for Amazon when you are willing to bring your own device to consume their services.

Spot on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

This also a very valid point. I'm hoping we see the app sooner than later.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Amazon is putting this on iOS first because that's where they're likely to make the most money from Amazon Prime subscriptions and video content, seeing as it has such a large userbase (of compatible devices).

The general non-Fire Android version will come next. They really have no reason not to now, since it's just a gateway to making more money. I think it's period of being an exclusive and Fire-seller is coming to a close, and they'll open it up. There will probably be some new exclusives/benefits to owning a Fire 2 (or whatever it is) to heavy Amazon users that won't be on other platforms.

Hopefully we'll be watching our stuff on our N7's without FF/Flash soon.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Amazon would much prefer that you buy a Kindle fire for one simple reason. You're more locked their infrastructure. They may sell more movies and such now by opening up their infrastructure to the Nexus crowd. But in the long run they only really win when everyone has a Kindle.

The same is true of Google as well. More Nexus sales equals more people in the Google infrastructure.

This is why both companies are willing to sell their units practically at cost. Because they're not looking to make their money now. They just want you locked into their infrastructure as much as possible.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you've all missed one important thing. You can already watch amazon on <4.1 devices with no hacking and 4.1 with little effort via flash. IOS has been totally in the dark.

Also consider that the Nexus and Fire are both loss leaders.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Amazon would much prefer that you buy a Kindle fire for one simple reason. You're more locked their infrastructure. They may sell more movies and such now by opening up their infrastructure to the Nexus crowd. But in the long run they only really win when everyone has a Kindle.

The same is true of Google as well. More Nexus sales equals more people in the Google infrastructure.

This is why both companies are willing to sell their units practically at cost. Because they're not looking to make their money now. They just want you locked into their infrastructure as much as possible.

You're not locked into anything. You can put any apps and media you want on a Nexus 7. It's just an Android tab. As I understand it (I don't own one and I'm not going to buy one to settle the question) the Fire is nothing more than a tab running GB, and can run whatever you want to download. Yeah, they both link to their parent companies stores, but no one is forcing it on you.

The Kindle itself, yes - the original epaper one. The Fire, not so much.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Mike, there's one thing that makes your statement less than correct. The Google Play store isn't an app in the traditional sense so you can't just add it to a device. It's part of the framework service. Even if you install the entire google framework system you can't see the app store so you would have a hard time launching it. There is an answer which is a little complicated for many novice users. In essence the general kindle user is a novice, hence most kindles will be incapable of non-Amazon apps.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I added firefox which supports flash and have been streaming from my prime account....sure looks better on my N7 than on my Nook Color!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

They can't ignore that there are more iPads and Android tablets out there than Kindle Fire devices. I'd argue that it's cheaper for them to support the other tablets than it is for them to take a loss on their own hardware.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's something funny. My grandson has an IPad and he wanted to use my Prime account to stream videos. In order to use this on an IPad, you have to download a special app. Well, it turns out that he couldn't d/l the app because his IPad is "jail broke"!!!! Apple is still in control!!!!!