[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

i got a nexus 7 32gb wifi 4G unlocked i unlocked the boot loader i got jop40c android 4.2 and i know how to root with directions but it is not working i want to leave it stock on 4.2 but i need root can some one help me find a way to root jop40c 4.2 thanks hope some one can help me thanks

Follow the directions in the guide.. use this recovery: TWRP for Grouper v.2.3.2.1
And in that recovery flash this file for root: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/SuperSU-v0.98.zip

vee2k

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys,
I followed this method to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 7. Worked Perfectly! Only problem I am having is returning my recovery to stock so i can use ota updates and retain my root. I am currently on 4.1.2 and cant figure out how to update to 4.2.1. From what i can tell and read in other threads i need to be on stock recovery to be able to update or update and re-root? I guess i'm a little lost...
where can i get a copy of the stock recovery for the last step of this tutorial?

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys (and gals) thanks so much... Best and easiest rooting on MAC for Nexus 7 Android 4.2 ... It updated by itself to 4.2.1 apparently without needing stock recovery? Is this right?

Edit: Nevermind, I was already on 4.2.1.

Had problems with SuperSU but redid some steps now OK. Some forums say use SuperSU in "Grant" mode rather than "Prompt" for 4.2.1 so that it grants automatically...
OTA 4.2 & SuperSU v0.98 - xda-developers

Edit: AWESOME. Using ToggleBar I can hide navigation for Shadowgun: Deadzone FULL SCREEN

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys,
I followed this method to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 7. Worked Perfectly! Only problem I am having is returning my recovery to stock so i can use ota updates and retain my root. I am currently on 4.1.2 and cant figure out how to update to 4.2.1. From what i can tell and read in other threads i need to be on stock recovery to be able to update or update and re-root? I guess i'm a little lost...
where can i get a copy of the stock recovery for the last step of this tutorial?
Let me look when I'm on a computer, I don't have the file on hand.
Hey guys (and gals) thanks so much... Best and easiest rooting on MAC for Nexus 7 Android 4.2 ... It updated by itself to 4.2.1 apparently without needing stock recovery? Is this right?

Edit: Nevermind, I was already on 4.2.1.

Had problems with SuperSU but redid some steps now OK. Some forums say use SuperSU in "Grant" mode rather than "Prompt" for 4.2.1 so that it grants automatically...
OTA 4.2 & SuperSU v0.98 - xda-developers

Edit: AWESOME. Using ToggleBar I can hide navigation for Shadowgun: Deadzone FULL SCREEN
Dope

matarava

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Hi Thx for the guide. I have a Nexus 7 32g (4.2), I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. But at the last step 7 I can't find the file
7. So that's it. but the recovery is only temporary until you use a file explorer to rename System/recovery-from-boot.p to something like System/recovery-from-boot.p.bak.
Some advices ? (I use Es explorer)
Thx

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Hi Thx for the guide. I have a Nexus 7 32g (4.2), I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. But at the last step 7 I can't find the file

Some advices ? (I use Es explorer)
Thx

i think with ES you need to enable root and then find the setting for "mount system" and make sure to show hidden files. then go to the system folder, and find the recovery-from-boot.p file.

if that doesnt work, root explorer (the paid version) will show you the system folder.

also, if you plan to flash a rom, the roms won't have the stock recovery overwrite feature. custom recovery will just work.

cdstuart

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the guide. This N7 is my first Android device and so far I'm loving it, but not having root started to drive me crazy in less than a week. Call it a residual symptom from working Linux admin for seven years. And I thought I was cured! Anyways, thanks for making it so easy to get oriented and dive in. Much appreciated.

cdstuart

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

i think with ES you need to enable root and then find the setting for "mount system" and make sure to show hidden files. then go to the system folder, and find the recovery-from-boot.p file.

FWIW, after following the guide, the only file I could find in /system with a name like this was already called recovery-from-boot.bak, even with ls -a in terminal, which ought to show hidden files.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, after following the guide, the only file I could find in /system with a name like this was already called recovery-from-boot.bak, even with ls -a in terminal, which ought to show hidden files.

hm i would guess that's an android generated backup of that file. wouldn't hurt to change it to .bak.bak if you want to stay stock and keep custom recovery.

vee2k

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

okay guys here's where i ended up: I was able to unlock the bootloader and root my nexus 7 running 4.1.2. I was unable to flash 4.2.1. I tried to restore stock recovery and use ota root keeper to ota the 4.2 update but kept receiving the android on his back with the red sign. So finally giving up i followed the restore thread to bring my nexus back to bone stock running 4.2.1. So before i start tinkering again...would you guys advise me to do anything different then the steps listed in this thread? My goal is to be running 4.2 rooted and bootloader unlocked.
edit: My bootloader is still unlocked! I didnt lock it again...so just need to root 4.2.1!
edit#2: Sorry, got impatient....So..with the bootloader already unlocked...i flashed the files in this thread...I am now running 4.2.1 bootloader unlocked and rooted!
lol i dont know what i did wrong the first time but all is good! Will be following this thread definitely!

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain recovery a bit more? This is one thing I still don't understand. Thanks...!

Edit: I found this: http://m.androidcentral.com/what-recovery-android-z

Any other resources? Cheers.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

In layman's terms.. Android recovery is where your device goes to perform actions that can't be done when booted up, such as clearing the caches or installing a system update. A custom recovery is created by the dev community to allow us more options while in recovery mode than the stock recovery does, such as flashing a different, unsigned system (custom ROM), installing new apps to the /system directory, selectively wiping certain partitions, and creating and restoring full backups (nandroids) of our current setup.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!

Seriously every guide I have found is for pc and says "just use the this toolkit blah blah blah"
So as a mac user I was kind of scared to start messing around this my Nexus 7 even though I have some previous experience with rooting and roming on a mytouch 4g.

I still consider myself a noob though...

I would suggest that for someone following your directions all the way through (starting from an locked bootloader) you should probably mention that you need to move the superuser.zip to the sd card AFTER you unlock the bootloader (which wipes everything including the sdcard)

Also one more question. Where can I find the stock recovery images for the nexus 7??? I don't want to install roms. I just want to be rooted. TWRP automatically changed some file to make it stick (so annoyingly helpful of them...grrr) so I can't get back to stock recovery. If someone could just point me to where these files are located that would be super helpful. Again Thanks so much!

barclay james

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hi,
can someone help me as ive been trying for 3 hours now and ive really had enough.
different people say differnt things.
ive followed this guide only got as far as type'fastboot-linux oem unlock' but when i do i get fastboot: command not found ?

thanks
barks

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

hi,
can someone help me as ive been trying for 3 hours now and ive really had enough.
different people say differnt things.
ive followed this guide only got as far as type'fastboot-linux oem unlock' but when i do i get fastboot: command not found ?

thanks
barks

On a Linux machine you need to preface commands with sudo. Maybe someone can give you clearer directions bc I don't actually use Linux. 2def ?

As for the stock recovery, in the post above, I'll try to track it down but this is finals week for me so time is short.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
On a Linux machine you need to preface commands with sudo. Maybe someone can give you clearer directions bc I don't actually use Linux. 2def ?

As for the stock recovery, in the post above, I'll try to track it down but this is finals week for me so time is short.

Barclay.. Need to use cd to change directory to where your fastboot file is. Also as Zero said, preface it with "sudo".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

barclay james

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
thanks both,
but i have changed directory and i can ls and see all the files in the directory where the fast boot file is but it gives the command not known error?
could it be my laptop is 64 bit?
cheers
barks

barclay james

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
ok,
just incase anyone has the same problem
im using a 64 bit version of linux mint this and also an incorrect command caused hours of frustration.

i had to install 32 bit compatability librarys 'sudo apt-get intall ia32-libs-multiarch'
then
back to the superboot directory and type 'sudo ./fastboot-linux oem unlock'
this works...

cheers
barks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63