DROID BIONIC Jelly Bean Update

roadpizza73

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
What's everyone's thoughts of jelly bean itself?

Thinking that's a whole 'nother thread:eek:

Though I've a long history of alpha-beta testing and first-adopting, the only compelling reason I've yet found for JB on my Bionic is resale value, what there is left of that, teehee.

The key word is 'compelling'. FWIW.

moonlightinwhite

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Though I've a long history of alpha-beta testing and first-adopting, the only compelling reason I've yet found for JB on my Bionic is resale value, what there is left of that, teehee.
JB ups the resale value quite a bit, IMO. I feel like the kind of people looking to buy a used phone are mostly those who have lost or damaged their existing phone, so they need a new one to continue with their month-to-month service (and to avoid starting a new contract) or to avoid an ETF because they're still locked in.

They're not usually looking for the latest and greatest. Saying it has Jelly Bean means more to these people than the specs because they probably don't know what the specs MEAN...but they know that Jelly Bean is latest version (we won't get into 4.1 vs 4.2).

That's my take on it, at least.

revazi

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
All fast and cool. Android OS process stops eating my battery like on ICS starts last week. Even FXZ flash with .246 not helped me.
awaiting for root.
without them i can't make my 3g data works on my cell operator (not vzw).
sad:(

Jacobk85

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I lost my root. Who knows what I did wrong (I'm dumb that's why) but stupid question time, can I FXZ with the .246 jb update file to give myself a clean start now that I'm on jb. Now that I'm stuck without root figure ill clean up my phone.

Thanks SamuriHL for all you do! I'm a long time stalker of your work.

jkensinger

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I use a lapdock every day @ work. It is definately much faster than ICS. I know they didn't update anything with webtop but for whatever reason it's much faster. I can flip through apps and screen with a much noticeable improvement.

Overall, everything is running just fine. I updated mine through recovery as I couldn't wait for OTA. That was a big step for me I use my phone for work and was nervous stepping outside of my comfort zone. The process was easy.

Oh almost forgot! Can anyone confirm that webtop/lapdock are still working good. It one of the most important features that I use all the time. I hadn't seen it mentioned much yet and wanted to check. Thanks!

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
All fast and cool. Android OS process stops eating my battery like on ICS starts last week. Even FXZ flash with .246 not helped me.
awaiting for root.
without them i can't make my 3g data works on my cell operator (not vzw).
sad:(

Interesting. Android OS is still consuming largest percentage of my battery. 31% with Screen at 28%. Down to 48% power left after 7 hours. However, I've been using 4G and no WiFi all day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I lost my root. Who knows what I did wrong (I'm dumb that's why) but stupid question time, can I FXZ with the .246 jb update file to give myself a clean start now that I'm on jb. Now that I'm stuck without root figure ill clean up my phone.

Thanks SamuriHL for all you do! I'm a long time stalker of your work.

No. You will brick and I really don't feel like fixing yet another one. :) You are stuck on JB without root. Welcome to hell.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I may be getting off this crazy ride soon. I have someone volunteering to send me a used RAZR HD and I've decided to take it. I'm going to unlock the thing and never look back. I hope for a Bionic root some day but I'm not hopeful.

92Fatboy

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok, be gentle please. I am a total rookie and would like to update to JB with the link Sam gave us. I am bone stock. I saved the file to my SD card. Now to reboot in recovery mode I press the power and volume up and down buttons at the same time? When I do this, will I lose any saved or stored info like contacts or text messages? Thanks for the help!

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, be gentle please. I am a total rookie and would like to update to JB with the link Sam gave us. I am bone stock. I saved the file to my SD card. Now to reboot in recovery mode I press the power and volume up and down buttons at the same time? When I do this, will I lose any saved or stored info like contacts or text messages? Thanks for the help!

o) Power off
o) Hold Volume + and - at the same time
o) - down to recovery, + to select it
o) When the droid icon comes up, press + and - at the same time to bring up the menu
o) Select the option to install from external device and press power to select it
o) Select the update, press power to select it
o) Sit back drink a beer, wait.
o) Once back at the menu, select the option to wipe cache (WARNING: Do not select factory wipe or data wipe....you will lose everything if you do....JUST the cache wipe) and press power to select it
o) Select reboot phone, power to select it
o) Get another beer, wait.

You will not lose anything doing it this way.

wjeffries

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

No you should be fine. I was the same way and all my contacts, phone history and text history were totally unchanged.

drstrangelove5

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
o) Power off
o) Hold Volume + and - at the same time
o) - down to recovery, + to select it
o) When the droid icon comes up, press + and - at the same time to bring up the menu
o) Select the option to install from external device and press power to select it
o) Select the update, press power to select it
o) Sit back drink a beer, wait.
o) Once back at the menu, select the option to wipe cache (WARNING: Do not select factory wipe or data wipe....you will lose everything if you do....JUST the cache wipe) and press power to select it
o) Select reboot phone, power to select it
o) Get another beer, wait.

You will not lose anything doing it this way.

I have not cleared my cache, but since have restarted several times since updating to JB . Would you advise to go do it now

Fortunately I was able to interpret these feelings correctly: loss of essence.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
r u referring to the Swype issues?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

No, I thought the file explorer stopped being able to see folders starting with a period in the name (hidden), but found the setting to show them

As for Swype, it does suck big time on the stock browser. Auto spacing and capitalization completely fubared. It's ok on apps, so I may try it on Chrome to see if it's better.

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I may be getting off this crazy ride soon. I have someone volunteering to send me a used RAZR HD and I've decided to take it. I'm going to unlock the thing and never look back. I hope for a Bionic root some day but I'm not hopeful.

God speed, Sam. Hopefully, it works out very well for you. Just know that many of us really appreciate all the expertise, info, and help you've provided! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
FYI, don't take this as gospel, but, apparently there MIGHT (key word MIGHT) be a new root exploit for the bionic coming in a few days.

Ashgarden

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I look forward to this! I actually was able to retain root with a fix you posted earlier in this thread, but I got greedy. I wanted the 4.2 keyboard that was modded to work with ICS, so I flashed it... Yeah, got an encryption error on boot.

Now I do not have root, but at least I was able to get it back up and running! Anxiously looking for any root news!

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I must say that this update has been a pleasant surprise. Helps when Sam lowers our expectations! :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov