Samsung Galaxy S3: WiFi connection problems since firmware upgrade

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 wifi connection problems since firmware upgrade

"I'm sorry, there are no geniuses online at this time - please try again later." :confused:
I don't remember if the 4.1.2 update came with a bump in radio version; it's probably documented online somewhere. If there was an update it would be easy enough to revert to the old radios and see what happens (see later comment about fragmentation).
In the event that it's something else in the 4.1.2 update causing the problem, it's certainly possible to revert to 4.1.1, but without being rooted I don't believe it's possible to prevent the carrier from downloading the update again.
Finally, the oft touted "fragmentation" of the Android market makes it difficult to recommend a specific 4.1.1 version to revert to - all the carriers have their own special sauce, not to mention the differences between the International and USA versions of the hardware.
Long story short, unless you fiddle with your WiFi configuration (try changing the channel in use - Wifi Analyzer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer; try a different router; trying 2.4GHz vs 5GHz [if you have a router that supports N]; etc) there's not much else I can think of to beat this dead horse (where did that saying come from anyway?).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

"I'm sorry, there are no geniuses online at this time - please try again later." :confused:
I don't remember if the 4.1.2 update came with a bump in radio version; it's probably documented online somewhere. If there was an update it would be easy enough to revert to the old radios and see what happens (see later comment about fragmentation).
In the event that it's something else in the 4.1.2 update causing the problem, it's certainly possible to revert to 4.1.1, but without being rooted I don't believe it's possible to prevent the carrier from downloading the update again.
Finally, the oft touted "fragmentation" of the Android market makes it difficult to recommend a specific 4.1.1 version to revert to - all the carriers have their own special sauce, not to mention the differences between the International and USA versions of the hardware.
Long story short, unless you fiddle with your WiFi configuration (try changing the channel in use - Wifi Analyzer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer; try a different router; trying 2.4GHz vs 5GHz [if you have a router that supports N]; etc) there's not much else I can think of to beat this dead horse (where did that saying come from anyway?).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

I use International version. And I don't want to go back to 4.1.1 but want some solution to fix this bug right in the 4.1.2.
I don't even know how to root phone.
As far as replacing router is concerned lemme tell ya my ipad works perfectly fine with the router. So if there's any problem it is in the phone itself.
And yesterday one of my friend bought GS3 and he was able to connect with my wifi without any hitch.

Sent from my GSIII

mlr2006

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I suffered from this problem for a week as well. What solved it for me was changing my network settings from WPA and WPA2 to only WPA2. iI have not had any problems since made the change. This has worked for a few other people I know but unfortunately not everyone.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I suffered from this problem for a week as well. What solved it for me was changing my network settings from WPA and WPA2 to only WPA2. iI have not had any problems since made the change. This has worked for a few other people I know but unfortunately not everyone.

K. Thanks man for sharing. Lemme try and will revert. Hope it works.

Sent from my GSIII

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Where is the option of changing WPA2?

Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

That's a router setting, typically in the Wireless subsection of the menus. It's the Security type (None, WPA, WPA2, WEP, etc). If you really think it might be the security type causing the problem, the simplest thing to do is set it to None (that way you don't have to fiddle with passwords). If that fixes your problem, then enable security starting with the most stringent.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

That's a router setting, typically in the Wireless subsection of the menus. It's the Security type (None, WPA, WPA2, WEP, etc). If you really think it might be the security type causing the problem, the simplest thing to do is set it to None (that way you don't have to fiddle with passwords). If that fixes your problem, then enable security starting with the most stringent.

Is it in the PC or phones setting?
Can ya provide a screenshot if it is in the phones setting?

Sent from my GSIII

mlr2006

May 13, 2013
Visit site

Is it in the PC or phones setting?
Can ya provide a screenshot if it is in the phones setting?

Sent from my GSIII

As GSDer stated, it is a router setting. To answer your question, it is changed on the PC. unfortunately, how to access the router differs depending on what router you are using, but you should be able to find that out through a google search on how to change the router settings on your particular router. I am using ATT Uverse, so the process was pretty simple and i can access the router by entering 192.168.1.264 in my web browser. A similar process should be available for your router.

As far as whether the security type was really causing the problem, i really have no explanation. That's odd to say the least but for whatever reason it worked. I began to suspect that was a problem after connecting to a few other networks with no trouble. I turned off security at first as GSDer also mentioned and connected with no issues. I then set it to WPA and also was able to connect. I finally set it to WPA2 and again had no issues. I can only speculate that not having it set to a specific security type was somehow "confusing" the device for lack of a better word, but I honestly don't know. I do know how aggravating it was not getting wifi so I hope this works for some folks out there.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

As GSDer stated, it is a router setting. To answer your question, it is changed on the PC. unfortunately, how to access the router differs depending on what router you are using, but you should be able to find that out through a google search on how to change the router settings on your particular router. I am using ATT Uverse, so the process was pretty simple and i can access the router by entering 192.168.1.264 in my web browser. A similar process should be available for your router.

As far as whether the security type was really causing the problem, i really have no explanation. That's odd to say the least but for whatever reason it worked. I began to suspect that was a problem after connecting to a few other networks with no trouble. I turned off security at first as GSDer also mentioned and connected with no issues. I then set it to WPA and also was able to connect. I finally set it to WPA2 and again had no issues. I can only speculate that not having it set to a specific security type was somehow "confusing" the device for lack of a better word, but I honestly don't know. I do know how aggravating it was not getting wifi so I hope this works for some folks out there.

My bad. I didn't read GSDer post carefully, missed it. Anyways I will check how to change the security setting.
Which option you suggest me to put my setting on?
But my skepticism is how come it is being connected to my iPad without any hitch if it has some problem going on?

Sent from my GSIII

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Hey, how many of you guys are having S3 connectivity problems using dual band 2.4/5G routers? and/or are trying to connect in areas with a lot of wifi networks nearby? .I as k b/c i think that either or both of these may be the source of my connectivity problems.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

How many is "alot"?uploadfromtaptalk1369605828609.jpgIf there are several other access points in your area, you should be careful to select a channel that doesn't overlap with the others (if at all possible, as shown in the screenshot). Use something like Wifi Analyzer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer to determine what's going on in your area and adjust accordingly.
I have a dual-band router and connect to either frequency with no issues.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

"FBI Surveilance Van"? I made the channel change and the signal quality is better. I still wonder if the bad connection is from using a single band router.

mlr2006

May 13, 2013
Visit site

My bad. I didn't read GSDer post carefully, missed it. Anyways I will check how to change the security setting.
Which option you suggest me to put my setting on?
But my skepticism is how come it is being connected to my iPad without any hitch if it has some problem going on?

Sent from my GSIII

I put mine at WPA2 so i would suggest that.

I honestly think the problem is with the Galaxy S3, but changing that setting worked for whatever reason. I wish I had some real scientific answer but unfortunately i do not.

max180y

May 28, 2013
Visit site

This is definitely a 4.1.2 update issue but may also be related to the individual service provider's own specific version of the update. I'm on the 3 network and the update I have ends in H3G which is the Hutchinson Group (owners of three) which could explain why some people aren't experiencing any problems whilst others are. Successful connection to a wifi network appears to depend on 2 things as far as I can tell - problems with one or both will result in the problems many of you on this thread are experiencing.

1) The router type
2) The frequency (2.4ghz or 5ghz).

I can connect to my friend's BT Homehub without any issues but if I try to connect to the Virgin Superhub, it just doesn't happen unless I change the settings. By that, I mean I have to log in to the router from my PC and then change the frequency from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. The phone will then connect with no problem whatsoever. My brother also has an S3 but his on Vodafone. He had the same problems I did but a recent update (still 4.1.2 but a different kernel version) appears to have solved his wifi issues and he can connect to any network regardless of router or frequency.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

This is definitely a 4.1.2 update issue but may also be related to the individual service provider's own specific version of the update. I'm on the 3 network and the update I have ends in H3G which is the Hutchinson Group (owners of three) which could explain why some people aren't experiencing any problems whilst others are. Successful connection to a wifi network appears to depend on 2 things as far as I can tell - problems with one or both will result in the problems many of you on this thread are experiencing.

1) The router type
2) The frequency (2.4ghz or 5ghz).

I can connect to my friend's BT Homehub without any issues but if I try to connect to the Virgin Superhub, it just doesn't happen unless I change the settings. By that, I mean I have to log in to the router from my PC and then change the frequency from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. The phone will then connect with no problem whatsoever. My brother also has an S3 but his on Vodafone. He had the same problems I did but a recent update (still 4.1.2 but a different kernel version) appears to have solved his wifi issues and he can connect to any network regardless of router or frequency.

Oh.. Looks like you have almost solved tour problem.
Max, can you further explain how to change that router setting by logging into PC?

Sent from my GSIII

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm very much able to connect to other wifis but mine. I still don't get jow to fix the issue by changing router settings.
Help!!!

Sent from my GSIII

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

chirag05,
Don't you know anyone that is computer savvy? That would be the best bet to reconfigure your router.
Unfortunately, there's no standardization between router manufacturers, so unless you tell us what brand/model you have, there's no way to give you step-by-step instructions (even then, the instructions would have to come from someone with the same brand/model).
Generally speaking, here's what you need to do:
1. login to the router from a PC on the same network
- if you haven't changed the login information from default, you can look on the router itself: the login name and password are usually printed on there somewhere
- you normally access the router via a web browser, typing in something like "http://192.168.0.1" to get to the login page. The address may be slightly different, so just look at the IP address of any client on the net.
2. Once you login to the router, you'll want to navigate to the Wireless subsection
- this is where you can specify the channel to use; which authentication type to use; the password; etc.

That's about all the detail I can provide - you really need to find someone who can help you out in person.
Where are you located?

lprot

May 30, 2013
Visit site

In afvanced WiFi settings on the router change 20Mhz/40Mhz Above/Below option to 20MHz only. And try.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

If you installed the router manufacturers firm ware from a disc you should have some kind of router management software on your PC. Try searching your PC using the router manufacturers name. You might also contact your router manufacturer and see about your support options.

I did the ol turn on airplane mode and then turn it off trick....and its worked so far.

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

All I know is how to go to the manufacturer's server page by typing (192.168.1.1) and then enter the user name and password. But after that I didn't find any setting you guys mentioned above.
Tell me what to do after reaching to that page, I will follow it.

Sent from my GSIII