Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Well its not like you HAVE to use the SD Card option, but I don't see why they would completely remove it
I personally don't agree with Google's reasoning, and I don't think I can be convinced otherwise lol

Dont get me wrong i love using one but i meant internal memory; There's been a few phones that say they are 16Gb but actually have 2 separate partions of memory that add up to the 16gb. For example the htc evo lte. Has an app storage then it has a phone storage and THEN if you want to add an Sd card(which i did) you have a 3RD storage.. Makes things so complicated.. :sly: I liked it better on my old htc one x+ when there was only 1 storage portion.

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Bless the OP, since actually said "Good job, Samsung" with not an apparent hint of sarcasm.

http://androidforums.com/5884350-post13.html

Here's the actual post:

"Well tested the firmware a little and it does allow you to move the app only, for large data files mainly from game downloads you still need to use something like foldermount.
But this will save some space for sure and now rooted users can move the app and data which is nice. Good job Samsung."

Hardly an epic fail.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Here's the actual post:

"Well tested the firmware a little and it does allow you to move the app only, for large data files mainly from game downloads you still need to use something like foldermount.
But this will save some space for sure and now rooted users can move the app and data which is nice. Good job Samsung."

Hardly an epic fail.

If that post is accurate, its worse than an epic fail. It is going to confuse the average user, and won't provide the relief that power users actually need. It also doesn't address any of the reasons why apps to SD functionality was removed in the first place, like stability issues. (Because the core of the app is the part thats moved onto the sd, stability will be a problem)

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The reason I chose an Android device over an IOS device is because I wanted greater flexibility, even at the expense of simplicity or stability. It seems really odd to me that so many members of an Android forum would be even slightly pooh-poohing such an announcement.

For practically every little complaint or issue that comes across this forum, at least a few people will suggest and raise all the merits of rooting your device and flashing ROMs. And yet here we have a company that is offering up an option that adds greater flexibility to the end user (even if it is at the expense of stability)... how is there any negative to this at all? If you don't like it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of android??

There are lots of things you can do to your android device to totally screw it up and cause issues. Do we want Google to wall off the garden like IOS and "protect" us all by removing those options? I personally don't. There is a huge grey area for the line to be drawn between flexibility and stability. I applaud any step in the direction of flexibility. Makes me think of a quote from Ben Franklin about liberty and safety...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The reason I chose an Android device over an IOS device is because I wanted greater flexibility, even at the expense of simplicity or stability. It seems really odd to me that so many members of an Android forum would be even slightly pooh-poohing such an announcement.

For practically every little complaint or issue that comes across this forum, at least a few people will suggest and raise all the merits of rooting your device and flashing ROMs. And yet here we have a company that is offering up an option that adds greater flexibility to the end user (even if it is at the expense of stability)... how is there any negative to this at all? If you don't like it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of android??

There are lots of things you can do to your android device to totally screw it up and cause issues. Do we want Google to wall off the garden like IOS and "protect" us all by removing those options? I personally don't. There is a huge grey area for the line to be drawn between flexibility and stability. I applaud any step in the direction of flexibility. Makes me think of a quote from Ben Franklin about liberty and safety...

It is nice to read insightful posts amongst the clutter and debauchery. Who in their right mind gripes about options? Seriously?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.

Games with 10mb app and 1.5gb data... The data can't be moved without hacking your phone.

Widgets don't work if you use App2SD.

This doesn't really solve the issue.

Google Music, Spotify, Currents (builds up a huge cache) etc all don't benefit and some apps can't be moved period.

Does Samsung still separate the app and data partitions on the latest handset?

They need to unbundle their bloatware and put it on the market for only their supported phone models. That will solve much of the issue.

Also there are performance and volatility concerns with SD cards.

A 16 GB phone without that much bloat still leaves like 12-13 GB ( /sdcard can be less depending on how the phone is partitioned - I.e. separate partition for apps like in the S2) free which is a big difference.

A 32 GB device with unified storage is totally usable with no need for an SD card, as long as the OEM has a decent sync app like HTC or Sony. The number of people who need more than 32 GB is almost ignorable and won't really affect sales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Even absent the "Move 2 SD" feature, this is why I'd rather get a 16GB with available SD Card memory than a 32GB with no memory
I currently have a 32GB SD Card, and right now I have used about 17GB already (filled with music and pictures)

If I had a 16GB phone (Non GS4), and with bloatware it would be about 12GB...right now I have about 4GB worth of apps
If I had a 32GB phone, the storage would probably be about 26GB including bloatware

32GB Phone
26GB - 17GB on my SD Card = 9GB left - 4GB of apps = 5GB left

16GB with SD Card Option
12GB - 4GB of apps = 8GB left
17GB of music and pictures with additional space still on my SD Card, but not affecting my phone storage

GS4 16GB with SD Card option
9.2GB - 4GB of apps = 5.2GB left
17GB of music and pics stored separately on my SD Card

The only thing I would probably be sacrificing is performance, but I hardly notice and slowdown from my SD Card if any...thats how I see it

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Please explain your perspective why this is not a fail of a solution? The issue is the large data file size of games. For smaller apps that have no data file or small ones, the apps are smaller anyway. The issue was the apps with big data files like social cloud apps, GTA games, EA, Gameloft, etc. This solution does little. On average, 10% to 20% weighted average verses 80% to 90% space savings. It is purely a fail. In fact, it is so silly, applying the word "epic" to it gives it too much cred. It is simply a fail, though due framework changes might have been their only option. Net result is still a fail, since the only people that will get a real space saving are people that root.

This of course assumes the OP is correct.

Smooth,

Your logic is very sound! I agree that if I had two choices, a 32 with no expansion or the 16 S4, the S4 would win. Now, if there were a 64GB internal only option, that would be a more tough decision.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I want 32 to 64 int mem. Then a slot for another 64. I change my phones less these days because I have zero desire for anything different. The fact is sd cards are a challene at best for manufacturers. The sentiment here is that it is not possible without issues? That is so 2009. I am sure it will work for samsungs customers, and that is a o k with many. Just let it be lol. Opinions are so overrated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
True. But at least the option is there, which is something that was looking to be 0% possible 24 hours ago.

Which can end up causing even more problems, if the option provided is half-baked and doesn't work properly. Without the option, at least your data was safely segmented between your internal storage and sd-card.

That's the theory behind the paradox of choice. More options, greater chance of making a poor one.

For whatever it is worth, I hope Samsung had thought this one through thoroughly and taken the time to code it properly. Lest we see the next wave of complaints by people experiencing problems when they try to do exactly this.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If the firmware is already out and about, looks like they shot from the hip to get something out there fast. This would suggest there is high sensitivity to the space issue. Perhaps this will force Samsung to be more desirous of getting 32GB options into channels. Unless they think this (from a result standpoint) half baked solution is the greatest thing since the discovery of fire.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Though this makes no sense, a person has apparently already tested the new firmware and apparently you can only move the app core and NOT the data. This would mean the smallest fraction of the app can be moved to sd and the biggest part of the app stays internal. This would be pure stupid and mean that it would only help people that mainly use small apps with little to no data files. Those people would not have trouble with 9GB in the first place.

If that winds up being all there is, my excitement is officially gone. ;)

Re: other issues, if you pick and choose apps carefully, namely, big ones designed to run off of a card, I don't think it is a huge issue. At this point the only apps I'd move to a card would be things like Trip Advisor's fully downloaded city guides which can make up some 150 megs. I understand the stability issues--but I ran lots of stuff off of a card before including Kindle, Power Amp and others, and never had any particular problems for years of use with one card.

It is a nice advantage to have if carefully thought out and used only when you need it. At the moment, I don't, and will leave things to default to internal. But if at some point I'm desperate, it's a tool in the toolbox. Because the only other option would be uninstalling the app entirely.

What??? Isn't this why they SHOULD include a memory card???
If they are tired of seeing OEMs include a lot of space while people are still running out, a SD Card would help that by allowing people to put their music on an external storage while using the internal storage for apps. One big block of storage is WORST than 2 separate storages. If that one storage goes bad, you're pretty much fcuked

The only problem is the bloatware which Carriers and OEMs seem to be using to fill the rest of the internal space

Darn right. Bloatware is a major issue and they don't even let you uninstall, which is the bigger problem. I don't mind being offered duplicate services.But I'm forced to keep them.

Plus, I want my media files and ebooks on a card. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that files like that have to be in main memory. And if you're going to take away my SD card slot, you'd better start making reasonably priced 128gb machines. Even then--experience dictates, if the space is there people will find things to use if for. I always want the option. I travel a lot. Streaming is not always a good answer. Plus it uses lot of battery power--the typical big complaint about these phones. I'm a media junkie. I have uses for a card.

Cards also make files easy to backup, bring a spare, and you don't always have to have your device connected to a computer. (Obviously, I won't buy a device without a SD card slot.)

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
HTC has already rapidly released one update in direct response to customer feedback and are including almost every customer feedback requested in their soon to be released 4.2 update. HTC also officially supports unlocking their bootloaders now in direct response to community feedback. I'm not seeing what you're implying.

All of a sudden now right. What about 1, 2+ years ago?!?! Too little to late, for me personally. Samsung has been giving 'ME' what I expect from my device from years now. Thats why I stick with them. The day they don't provide me with what I expect is the day I start looking for another manufacturer.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Another interesting tibit, will S4 nexus support sd card?
Wait, are you saying that there might not be such a thing as "pure" Android?!?! ;)

If Samsung ever took away MicroSD Cards, I'd be sending 100 letters of hate anonymously to them
That's a lot of letters, I'd start now. I don't think it will be all that long before uSD cards aren't included on any phones. Internal storage is getting cheaper and SD cards are difficult to deal with on many levels and there's no signs of it getting easier to implement. If anything it's getting harder.

My view is that Samsung is a bit behind the curve on storage. They should be offering 32GB and 64GB versions only with no uSD card slot. People that need more than 64GB are probably way fewer than those that are OK with only 16GB and everything is easier to design both hardware and software wise with just internal storage. They probably made more work and expense for themselves than they would have had they just made 32GB standard.

Though I can see where they're coming from. I'm a user that considers 16GB and 32GB to be pretty much the same. Both are more than enough to hold my apps, data and pictures (especially with cloud storage), but neither are enough to hold all my music (~30GB worth). Without unlimited data streaming my music from the cloud isn't an option and I can't guarantee that I'll have service at the most crucial times I'd want music (e.g. on a plane). If it all went down the way it is now, most people would only have the 32GB option with no way to expand. They'd have to either wait for their carrier to stock the 64GB version or just accept that if they have any sort of music collection that it won't all fit. At least this way us in that situation can throw it all on a 64GB card even if it doesn't mount correctly 100% of the time. It's not the best solution but it's better than nothing.

It all seems obvious now, but imagine having to make this decision a year or two ago when they were coming up with the initial specs. It's not as straight forward as it may seem now.

As I said before, I think this will all be done with in a couple years. If I can get a 64GB internal storage device with no SD card slot I can have all the storage I want and the mechanical advantages they designers will have will potentially allow for new features or a larger battery.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Again, you seem to be applying your standard of usage to everyone. There are about 15% of users that do want more than 32 or 64gb models, if no sd slot.

Mark Mcdermott

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have recently got the s4 after 3.5 years with the nokia n97 32gb. I've never filled the hd but came close once. 16(9)gb is not enough (as we all are saying) with an app to sd all we need is an ' I accept there could be problems' button to push. Most of the time we can reinstall without purchasing again. Just backup. App makers should make app to dload to sd but (game,excel, cad)etc go to an internal hd save option

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're not willing to pay much then don't complain about the amount of onboard storage you get. Higher amounts of storage cost more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't complaining about the amount of storage onboard. I was just making a joke, that you can never have too much storage space.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards