SIM Card slot..

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
As title says it... I messed it up by inserting an empty adapter and it seems to have took out some of the sim contact pins.. Anyway I can fix it? Warranty (though I doubt I can get it through)? I was testing out the nano sim adapter I cutted out and was hard to remove from the sim slot of the SGS3 so I forced remove it and it messed up the slot.. now it doesn't seem to read any sim card.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: So.. I f***ed up my SIM Card slot..

You can repair it yourself. It's actually a pretty easy fix.

All you have to do is remove the phillips screws and pop off the back. First thing you'll see is the sim/sd reader flex. Simply unplug it and remove it. Replace it with a new part(found here), plug it in, put it back together and you're good to go.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

You can repair it yourself. It's actually a pretty easy fix.

All you have to do is remove the phillips screws and pop off the back. First thing you'll see is the sim/sd reader flex. Simply unplug it and remove it. Replace it with a new part(found here), plug it in, put it back together and you're good to go.

Damn.. It doesn't look hard to do but guess I won't be using that phone for a while until I get the parts in. Does it matter if it's i9300 or i747 sim card tray/reader? Trying to find a seller on eBay.. Was trying to set up the phone so I can use it for next weekend (tethering) instead of using the iPhone since I don't have AT&T "tether" plans, still on Unlimited.

edit: right now from what I can tell, it seems to be missing 2 of the 6 pins :/ Guess without the other 2 pins, it won't work huh..?

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Damn.. It doesn't look hard to do but guess I won't be using that phone for a while until I get the parts in. Does it matter if it's i9300 or i747 sim card tray/reader? Trying to find a seller on eBay.. Was trying to set up the phone so I can use it for next weekend (tethering) instead of using the iPhone since I don't have AT&T "tether" plans, still on Unlimited.
They should be the same part. I don't know of any reputable ebay sellers to refer you to but here are a few sim reader flex's i747 sim reader | eBay

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

No. The other good ones I know of are all located in Asia and would have similar shipping policies. There is one US vendor but there parts are not quite as good and do not have the sim reader flex for any of the S3's...so ebay is your best bet.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

surprisingly, inserting an AT&T Micro SIM Card, it actually read it.. and said "provision" and shows signal strength but with a T-Mobile SIM Card, it didn't read.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

You might have just gotten lucky but as long as the pins make the right contacts on the card then it should work. I wouldn't remove it if its working. ;)

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

You might have just gotten lucky but as long as the pins make the right contacts on the card then it should work. I wouldn't remove it if its working. ;)

Hit or miss right now.. Not working anymore after removing and inserting other SIM cards... Guess in the end I would probably need to replace it.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Hit or miss right now.. Not working anymore after removing and inserting other SIM cards... Guess in the end I would probably need to replace it.

Yep. Just to make sure it won't fail on you at an important moment or something like that it might be a good idea. And probably your cheapest option at fixing it.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Yep. Just to make sure it won't fail on you at an important moment or something like that it might be a good idea. And probably your cheapest option at fixing it.

Was thinking about calling Samsung and see if there's anything to do to replace it but since it's an "user error" for breaking the pins, I highly doubt I can get a replacement. Right now it seems to be working with my nano sim, but like I mentioned, it was just a hit or miss. Probably going to be my first time taking apart a newer phone. Haven't done so for a long time..

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

You can try contacting samsung but as you said it is a user error and they probably will not honor the warranty. They will likely charge you to repair it, you have to ship it off, wait a few weeks, then get your phone back and even then it might not be your phone but a refurb.

But, luckily the GS3 is extremely easy to take apart and repair. Around 8 phillips screws, I think, the back pops off rather easily and the part you're replacing is plug-n-play. You'll be able to find a ton of teardown/repair info online for such a popular phone.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

You can try contacting samsung but as you said it is a user error and they probably will not honor the warranty. They will likely charge you to repair it, you have to ship it off, wait a few weeks, then get your phone back and even then it might not be your phone but a refurb.

But, luckily the GS3 is extremely easy to take apart and repair. Around 8 phillips screws, I think, the back pops off rather easily and the part you're replacing is plug-n-play. You'll be able to find a ton of teardown/repair info online for such a popular phone.

Yeah, definitely not worth shipping it to them since shipping would cost at least $10 or so and like you said, a few week wait. I don't mind if they give me a refurbished actually since my phone casing have some nicks on it lol

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, definitely not worth shipping it to them since shipping would cost at least $10 or so and like you said, a few week wait. I don't mind if they give me a refurbished actually since my phone casing have some nicks on it lol
Ha well it might be worth it to try and contacting them about repairing it. Just might be alot more expensive. :p

Antwon Walls

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

As title says it... I messed it up by inserting an empty adapter and it seems to have took out some of the sim contact pins.. Anyway I can fix it? Warranty (though I doubt I can get it through)? I was testing out the nano sim adapter I cutted out and was hard to remove from the sim slot of the SGS3 so I forced remove it and it messed up the slot.. now it doesn't seem to read any sim card.
I'm having the same problem with my samsung galaxy s4 mini I thought it was the sim card

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same problem with my samsung galaxy s4 mini I thought it was the sim card
These folks http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-sim-card-tray-repair/ do SIM tray replacement (that link is for the S3).

From the looks of it you may be able to swap the part without any soldering but you'd want to check one of the teardown videos online to be sure.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Elis Merkaj

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
hello i have the same problem i change it but again the same problem.the sd card is ok but the sim it dosn`t recognize it .and the sim work to another phone.any idea.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky