Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

If the moment is that important to you then why would you not ensure that the environment is as conducive as it can be to taking a great picture? The only reason I can see why you'd want a camera phone that takes pictures in next to no light is if you're trying to use your phone to take pictures that you're probably not supposed to be taking in the first place.

What do you mean? I don't understand.

sent from my Note 3

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

He is baiting us all. The note 3 camera is fine.it is better than fine. It is a current, effective phone camera. Let's move on. Next thread "wow the screen sucks"

Posted via Android Central App

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I don't know I think this shot in a dark bedroom taken with only the flash turned out great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1382320778663.jpg
    1382320778663.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 46

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean? I don't understand.

sent from my Note 3

Lets say you're taking a picture of some relatives that haven't seen each other in a long time, they're generally not meeting in a pitch dark room and if they are in a pitch dark room, if you are taking a picture, you're going to look for a light source to enhance the image.

The only reason I can see wanting to take a picture in very low light is at a strip club, or when you're with your girlfriend and don't want her to know you're taking a picture. There aren't many situations where one would need to take a picture in a pitch dark situation. It's like saying, "I think the Nissan GTR is a poor handling car because I tried driving it in the mud and it performed poorly".

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Lets say you're taking a picture of some relatives that haven't seen each other in a long time, they're generally not meeting in a pitch dark room and if they are in a pitch dark room, if you are taking a picture, you're going to look for a light source to enhance the image.

The only reason I can see wanting to take a picture in very low light is at a strip club, or when you're with your girlfriend and don't want her to know you're taking a picture. There aren't many situations where one would need to take a picture in a pitch dark situation. It's like saying, "I think the Nissan GTR is a poor handling car because I tried driving it in the mud and it performed poorly".

You and I, we're two very different people.

sent from my Note 3

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

You and I, we're two very different people.

sent from my Note 3

You're more than welcome to give an example of where you'd need to take an extremely low light picture. And no you can't use the "I wanted to see how crappy this camera was so I took a picture of a stool"....

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I don't buy your "explanation". There are numerous occasions where I've wanted to take a picture in low light situations. Most pictures you take aren't taken in "ideal" conditions, unless you're outside during a sunny day. Most pictures you take aren't taken when someone is standing there saying cheese. Not everyone hangs out in their home with every light turned on, just so it's bright enough to take a picture if the need arises. Most pictures people take aren't "planned ahead if time". Spontaneity is one of the many reasons why cameras built into your phone have become so popular. It's because nobody walks around with their DSLR or point and shoot camera unless they are on vacation or at family gathering.
BTW....the flash works perfectly on my S3, which enables me to take a perfect picture in a pitch black room. "Low light" conditions however are a different story. They rarely come out well without some adjusting of either your phone settings or your lighting conditions.
Just my 2 cents.

tap'n

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, I don't buy your "explanation". There are numerous occasions where I've wanted to take a picture in low light situations. Most pictures you take aren't taken in "ideal" conditions, unless you're outside during a sunny day. Most pictures you take aren't taken when someone is standing there saying cheese. Not everyone hangs out in their home with every light turned on, just so it's bright enough to take a picture if the need arises. Most pictures people take aren't "planned ahead if time". Spontaneity is one of the many reasons why cameras built into your phone have become so popular. It's because nobody walks around with their DSLR or point and shoot camera unless they are on vacation or at family gathering.
BTW....the flash works perfectly on my S3, which enables me to take a perfect picture in a pitch black room. "Low light" conditions however are a different story. They rarely come out well without some adjusting of either your phone settings or your lighting conditions.
Just my 2 cents.

tap'n

I understand not every condition is going to be ideal, but what he's arguing is that because the picture isn't that great in next to no lighting conditions, that the phone's camera sucks. A camera phone is just that a CAMERA PHONE. I don't expect it to have infrared night vision with a zillion megapixels. I, along with a lot of people think he's being a bit unrealistic. But, as I mentioned before, if he thinks he can get a substantially better camera phone that won't have him wishing he had the other hardware advantages of the Note 3, he's more than welcome to look for that device. I personally don't see one out there.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

A camera phone is just that a CAMERA PHONE. I don't expect it to have infrared night vision with a zillion megapixels. .
Agreed, you make a point. :thumbup:

tap'n

Last edited:

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Should have done that long ago. Note 3 warriors.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You're clearly interested in advocacy, not discussion. It's odd behavior for an adult. If somebody levies a legitimate criticism at a smartphone, you become enraged like a child or a pea-brained puppy. You treat this as something far more important and personal than it should be.

The Note 3 does not take good low light pictures. I regret writing as much as it has rattled you and your "Note 3 Warriors."

Android Central: the war path of the unimportant, the ineffectual, the inadequate. :p

sent from my Note 3

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

You're clearly interested in advocacy, not discussion. It's odd behavior for an adult. If somebody levies a legitimate criticism at a smartphone, you become enraged like a child or a pea-brained puppy. You treat this as something far more important and personal than it should be.

The Note 3 does not take good low light pictures. I regret writing as much as it has rattled you and your "Note 3 Warriors."

Android Central: the war path of the unimportant, the ineffectual, the inadequate. :p

sent from my Note 3

I put in bold what I think is the point of contention for this argument. The comparison of your chair picture, as someone else pointed out, only shows that the Note 2 will bring in a better image, even if it means compromising the integrity of the image (unless the stool is in fact a bright orange stool).

Insisting the camera sucks because it failed your "chair in the dark room" test isn't a real world test IMO and thus doesn't seem valid. Go out and take some REAL WORLD low light pictures, and then maybe you can post a "Does anyone else think the camera's low light pictures suck?" thread. I find it hard to say that I agree with your assessment based on the conditions you're testing. I'm not sure why you don't think that's a valid discussion.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I put in bold what I think is the point of contention for this argument. The comparison of your chair picture, as someone else pointed out, only shows that the Note 2 will bring in a better image, even if it means compromising the integrity of the image (unless the stool is in fact a bright orange stool).

Insisting the camera sucks because it failed your "chair in the dark room" test isn't a real world test IMO and thus doesn't seem valid. Go out and take some REAL WORLD low light pictures, and then maybe you can post a "Does anyone else think the camera's low light pictures suck?" thread. I find it hard to say that I agree with your assessment based on the conditions you're testing. I'm not sure why you don't think that's a valid discussion.

Way to go Note 3 Warrior. The Note 3 shouldn't take good low light photos because you, one Note 3 advocate, don't have use for it.

I suppose shoe manufacturers should only make your shoe size. Gas stations should only offer octane to fit your car. We will all conform to your preferences.

sent from my Note 3

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

sent from my Note 3

Don't you worry bout' a thing. Everything is going to be alright' ☆☆☆☆☆

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

If the moment is that important to you then why would you not ensure that the environment is as conducive as it can be to taking a great picture? The only reason I can see why you'd want a camera phone that takes pictures in next to no light is if you're trying to use your phone to take pictures that you're probably not supposed to be taking in the first place.

That is a very narrow way to look at the possibilities. There are often spur-of-the-moment "Kodak Moments" (I hope you guys are old enough to know what that term means) that you can't plan for--they just happen, and you can only hope you are fast enough to whip out your phone and snap photos of those precious moments. What if in your dim living room your baby suddenly takes his/her first steps, and you can't risk running to the other side of the room to turn on more lights, and the ambient lighting is just perfect, casting a soft glow of amber rim-light on your baby, and blasting the flash would totally wash out that beautiful ambiance and ruin the shot?

I take spur-of-the-moment candid shots like that all the time with any camera that is near me, and more often than not, it's going to be my phone. I can't always have my 5D Mark III slung across my shoulder, just waiting for Kodak Moments to happen. Some of my most treasured photos were taken in very dark situations, with the iPhone 4, because that's the only camera I had near me.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Oh hell ya. Every one has the best moments in the dark......dark cell phone pics fo life yo!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

It is pretty clear. Zombies are coming fool. Ha ha lmao. All that a side the wartiest thread ever and one can walk away knowing the note 3 camera is a great deal better than the note 2 as the colors of that are hideous as evidenced by the hilarious red pics ha ha. Go forth black light warrior.......keep them chappy crappy table pics coming. Gawd I love this little thread.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

That is a very narrow way to look at the possibilities. There are often spur-of-the-moment "Kodak Moments" (I hope you guys are old enough to know what that term means) that you can't plan for--they just happen, and you can only hope you are fast enough to whip out your phone and snap photos of those precious moments. What if in your dim living room your baby suddenly takes his/her first steps, and you can't risk running to the other side of the room to turn on more lights, and the ambient lighting is just perfect, casting a soft glow of amber rim-light on your baby, and blasting the flash would totally wash out that beautiful ambiance and ruin the shot?

I take spur-of-the-moment candid shots like that all the time with any camera that is near me, and more often than not, it's going to be my phone. I can't always have my 5D Mark III slung across my shoulder, just waiting for Kodak Moments to happen. Some of my most treasured photos were taken in very dark situations, with the iPhone 4, because that's the only camera I had near me.

Use a flash. You will be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klystron