Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

That is defective. I would RMA that thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is just one of the many pictures in the XDA thread complaining about this issue. It's not defective, 90% of them have this issue. It's due to the manufacturer named "Japan Display". They didn't use a polarizer film like they should have. Half of the other ones have a yellow tint. How many times is it okay to RMA a device to get it right? It should have been done right the first time. Dust under the screen, yellow tint, bad viewing angles, it's a joke. Get it right the first time Google

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

An obvious icy white to the display that shouldn't be there. You've got to be kidding me right? That's not even close to acceptable for a display

I have had two N5 as I RMAd the first. Neither had light bleed that extreme. You have to also consider that in forums you are going to get more people complaining of problems than those satisfied with their device. I would guess the problem isn't as high as most people think. Though it sounds like a common problem from what you are saying.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I have had two N5 as I RMAd the first. Neither had light bleed that extreme. You have to also consider that in forums you are going to get more people complaining of problems than those satisfied with their device. I would guess the problem isn't as high as most people think. Though it sounds like a common problem from what you are saying.

It has a fair amount of posts so it's definitely a common problem. The other 10% of the displays are made by LG. Those are the ones Which have no light bleed at all. Even the moto G doesn't have this issue and it's a lot cheaper. It's unacceptable and should've never happened

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

It has a fair amount of posts so it's definitely a common problem. The other 10% of the displays are made by LG. Those are the ones Which have no light bleed at all. Even the moto G doesn't have this issue and it's a lot cheaper. It's unacceptable and should've never happened

It didn't happen on mine. Mine has a slight warm tint but I'd never notice it without comparing it to other bluer screens.

More people didn't have any problems than did, by far. I'm not sure what's eating you up.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 Problems & Issues

It didn't happen on mine. Mine has a slight warm tint but I'd never notice it without comparing it to other bluer screens.

More people didn't have any problems than did, by far. I'm not sure what's eating you up.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Lots of RMA's reported in the shipping thread so I'm not so sure about that. It's eating me up because it shouldn't have happened on even one of them. It kind of gives off a "screw the consumer we have our money" feel

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems & Issues

Lots of RMA's reported in the shipping thread so I'm not so sure about that. It's eating me up because it shouldn't have happened on even one of them. It kind of gives off a "screw the consumer we have our money" feel

I doubt that's what happened. For every person who got a replacement I'd bet there's at least 100 whose phones were fine, like mine. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I doubt that's what happened. For every person who got a replacement I'd bet there's at least 100 whose phones were fine, like mine. :)

I'll just speak from my experience:

My nexus 5 had a lot of light bleed on the corners. It had a questionable camera and loose buttons. A good amount of apps crashed and the battery was bad.

My iPhone was perfect as soon as I took it out of the box. Nice sound, a wonderful screen, no app crashes, it just worked. I like that, and I believe that's the way it should be. I shouldn't be left with problems to fix myself. With the iPhone I have no worries and more time to play with apps. I'm a guy who likes to tinker, but what's the point if I always have to tinker? Jailbreaking gives me the choice but I'm not forced to tinker with the iPhone.

I realize this is off topic but this is how I feel about the whole nexus 5 situation. I know most of you like your nexus 5, but I hated mine. There were so many issues it wasn't worth the time to use the phone and I actually avoided it. What's the point of using a device if you aren't happy with it right?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

My nexus 5 had a lot of light bleed on the corners. It had a questionable camera and loose buttons. A good amount of apps crashed and the battery was bad.

My iPhone was perfect as soon as I took it out of the box. Nice sound, a wonderful screen, no app crashes, it just worked. I like that, and I believe that's the way it should be. I shouldn't be left with problems to fix myself. With the iPhone I have no worries and more time to play with apps. I'm a guy who likes to tinker, but what's the point if I always have to tinker? Jailbreaking gives me the choice but I'm not forced to tinker with the iPhone.

I realize this is off topic but this is how I feel about the whole nexus 5 situation. I know most of you like your nexus 5, but I hated mine. There were so many issues it wasn't work the time to use the phone and I actually avoided it. What's the point of using a device if you aren't happy with it right?

Sure. I'm glad you're happy with your iPhone. :)

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I realize this is off topic but this is how I feel about the whole nexus 5 situation. I know most of you like your nexus 5, but I hated mine. There were so many issues it wasn't worth the time to use the phone and I actually avoided it. What's the point of using a device if you aren't happy with it right?

Just need to throw this out here: every company has bad apples. You had a chance that your iPhone was going to be defective out of the box. It was the luck of the draw it was fine, just like it was bad luck you got a bad Nexus 5. Glad you like your iPhone though.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone tops the audio quality test of gsm arena every time. I rooted and still nothing could beat the iPhone. Even a windows phone I had lying around sounded better. I mean the 1.5 ghz thing is respectable and not outrageous. Overheating the internals of a phone to the point where games lag because the clock speed is too high doesn't make it better. Apple actually knows this and optimizes for lower speed cores which are more efficient. Oh by the way, the A7 crushes the snapdragon 800 in every test done. So no, I'm not jealous. Enjoy the crashing, overheating, corner cutting abomination to the industry that is the nexus 5. I actually enjoyed the nexus 4, but the nexus 5 was a step in the wrong direction. HTC should make the nexus 6

In that case, It's great your enjoying your iPhone however, there is an easy software tweak to increase headphone and speaker volume a lot. Also, the nexus 5 (at least in my experience) has not reached over 41 degrees, a respectable amount when playing a game such as Riptide GP 2, if you had wished you could have underclocked it (it still would have been faster than the iPhone 5S... The A7 does not crush the snapdragon 800 in any way and while the display may be a little washed out at severe viewing angles, at least it is HD. So, you enjoy your phone, umm.... moving the apps around and.... moving the apps around and... creating a folder to put the apps in...

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

In that case, It's great your enjoying your iPhone however, there is an easy software tweak to increase headphone and speaker volume a lot. Also, the nexus 5 (at least in my experience) has not reached over 41 degrees, a respectable amount when playing a game such as Riptide GP 2, if you had wished you could have underclocked it (it still would have been faster than the iPhone 5S... The A7 does not crush the snapdragon 800 in any way and while the display may be a little washed out at severe viewing angles, at least it is HD. So, you enjoy your phone, umm.... moving the apps around and.... moving the apps around and... creating a folder to put the apps in...

I tried the tweak myself and all it did was add distortion. I wasn't very impressed with the DAC in the phone by any means. Every test done (and a quick internet search will prove this) shows that the A7 beats the snapdragon 800 by a decent amount. The A7 has proved that specs don't matter as much as they used to. The iPhone may not be 1080p, but it still looks really nice. I'm very very happy with the retina display and it has even been voted one of the best mobile displays available. I didn't have to move any apps around because my iCloud backup from my 4s took care of everything. I like it because it's simple and organized. I never used widgets when I had an android phone anyway. This works for me and that's all that really matters. I'm glad you're enjoying the nexus 5

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I tried the tweak myself and all it did was add distortion. I wasn't very impressed with the DAC in the phone by any means. Every test done (and a quick internet search will prove this) shows that the A7 beats the snapdragon 800 by a decent amount. The A7 has proved that specs don't matter as much as they used to. The iPhone may not be 1080p, but it still looks really nice. I'm very very happy with the retina display and it has even been voted one of the best mobile displays available. I didn't have to move any apps around because my iCloud backup from my 4s took care of everything. I like it because it's simple and organized. I never used widgets when I had an android phone anyway. This works for me and that's all that really matters. I'm glad you're enjoying the nexus 5

Okay then... The A7 may have a slightly bettery single core score but the nexus 5 has a better multiscore core - therefore making it faster.

Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 12.22.33 pm.png

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Okay then... The A7 may have a slightly bettery single core score but the nexus 5 has a better multiscore core - therefore making it faster.

View attachment 100437

Care to provide a link to that source? I believe that was when the benchmark app wasn't optimized for 64 bit or the A7 for that matter. Using current tests done by Anantech (the best source for this thing), the A7 crushes the snapdragon 800. Here's a quote: "According to Anantech's in-depth benchmark tests, the iPhone 5s' A7 processor bests the Nexus 5's Snapdragon 800 processor across the board, demonstrating the raw power available for pushing pixels, gaming and running apps."

Here's my source for the tests:
http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

Nexus 5:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/4

Last edited:

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Care to provide a link to that source? I believe that was when the benchmark app wasn't optimized for 64 bit or the A7 for that matter. Using current tests done by Anantech (the best source for this thing), the A7 crushes the snapdragon 800. Here's a quote: "According to Anantech's in-depth benchmark tests, the iPhone 5s' A7 processor bests the Nexus 5's Snapdragon 800 processor across the board, demonstrating the raw power available for pushing pixels, gaming and running apps."

Here's my source for the tests:
AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review

Nexus 5:
AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review

Look on Youtube, specifially that test was from SuperSaf TV. By the way, geekbench 3 is optimised for 64-bit.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Look on Youtube, specifially that test was from SuperSaf TV. By the way, geekbench 3 is optimised for 64-bit.

Currently yes but it wasn't before. I'm not sure SuperSaf is a trustworthy source when it comes to getting the tests done right. The one I provided has many more tests compared to many more devices.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Currently yes but it wasn't before. I'm not sure SuperSaf is a trustworthy source when it comes to getting the tests done right. The one I provided has many more tests compared to many more devices.

In fact, the Nexus 5 actually was able to surpass the iPhone 5s with Apple's 64-bit A7 processor in a few tests and goes toe to toe with it in gaming and graphics. That is a quote by the way.

Also, just wondering how much screen on time do you get?

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

In fact, the Nexus 5 actually was able to surpass the iPhone 5s with Apple's 64-bit A7 processor in a few tests and goes toe to toe with it in gaming and graphics. That is a quote by the way.

Also, just wondering how much screen on time do you get?

On a good day I can push around 7 or 8 hours of screen time. I'm not kidding, it's pretty amazing. Standby is unbeatable